Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Virginia? Georgetown? Tulane? Where should I go?  (Read 639 times)

Shabooyah

• View Profile
Virginia? Georgetown? Tulane? Where should I go?
« on: March 06, 2005, 08:59:08 PM »
So I need some advice. I've been accepted at all of my schools so far and right now I'm leaning towards either Virginia or Georgetown. I hear Virginia is a much more congenial environment and that Georgetown can be quite cutthroat. But Georgetown is in DC, which I like. I'm interested in international human rights and know the Georgetown is excellent in this area, but Virginia isn't too shabby either. I'm also considering Tulane because they offered me full tuition. I'm heading to all three within the next month, but was wondering if anyone had some advice. Please help.

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia? Georgetown? Tulane? Where should I go?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »
That's a pretty good dilemma to have... I'd go with UVA

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:34:11 AM »
Personally, I would go with UVa. Though if you are attracted to DC, or like living in a large city, Georgetown may be better.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:37:47 AM »
I'd choose UVA but its not much better than GU. You'd end up with the same job prospects.

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »
I'd choose whichever one USNews ranked higher. :worship: USNews rankings.  If you go to Tulane you will never get a job because it is not T14.

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 10:43:08 AM »
I'd start by letting Georgetown and UVA know that Tulane offered you full tuition.  They very likely may not care, but there's no reason not to take the chance that you can get them to offer you a more generous financial package.
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 10:47:59 AM »
They'll laugh if you treat Tulane as any kind of leverage in bargaining with UVA/GULC.

That's like telling a Ferrari dealer that toyota offered you a $3,000 rebate on an '05 Corolla, so they should on a 2005 F430. 

Don't bother.

I'd start by letting Georgetown and UVA know that Tulane offered you full tuition.  They very likely may not care, but there's no reason not to take the chance that you can get them to offer you a more generous financial package.

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 10:57:17 AM »
OK, fair enough.  The basic moral is the same; work that deal up the rankings.  If you have to go through 2 or 3 intermediate schools before you get something you can point out to Georgetown or UVA, you still have nothing to lose.

They'll laugh if you treat Tulane as any kind of leverage in bargaining with UVA/GULC.

That's like telling a Ferrari dealer that toyota offered you a $3,000 rebate on an '05 Corolla, so they should on a 2005 F430. 

Don't bother.

It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 11:08:08 AM »

Agreed.

OK, fair enough.  The basic moral is the same; work that deal up the rankings.  If you have to go through 2 or 3 intermediate schools before you get something you can point out to Georgetown or UVA, you still have nothing to lose.

Don't bother.

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 10:16:53 AM »

Hey Anton - I just realized I know you in real life!