Law School Discussion

Who Thinks They Will Start Their Own Practice?

A.J

Who Thinks They Will Start Their Own Practice?
« on: March 06, 2005, 04:30:02 PM »
I am almost conviced that this is the way to go for me, right out of law school.  It is definetly doable from everything I've heard if you are willing for a year or two to basically not take anything out of your business.  A little help from a good woman (or husband) would go a long ways as well I am sure.  Anyway, I just cant see myself working for someone else.  Not for very long at least.

foxnewssucks

Re: Who Thinks They Will Start Their Own Practice?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:31:10 PM »
i would think you need a couple years of real experience before you could pull this off.

A.J

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 04:33:44 PM »
I dont know, a local lawyer I spoke to came here straight out of BYU 5 years ago, borrowed 6 grand and hung out a shingle.  It took him a year to get some clientele and get his business into a solvent state and ever since he's been billing 150-190 /hr with no shortage of demand on his services.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 06:21:21 PM »
I used to want to be a psychologist so I can open my own practice. Now that I want to be a lawyer, I'm still keeping the option of working for myself open. I'm pretty individualistic.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 07:34:09 PM »
I've always been the "follow the marked trail" guy, because I foolishly believe that it's the best way to the top.

So I'll get a job at a decent law firm, work my tail off, make partner in eight years (or whatever their track is) and then bank a lot of cash and build up some clientele discretely before hanging out my own shingle.  I figure I'll be 45 to 50 before I set up shop, but I'll have cash in the bank and plenty of time- since I'll have paralegals doing everything.

Either that, or retire and buy an RV.  That sounds nice.

BAFF213

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 10:02:34 PM »
I think I might start my own practice - I plan on working in a firm for a few years first though.

yoshibengoshi

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:45:17 PM »
AJ, My thinking is the same as yours. My presumption is that I will build my own business or partner with a small group of similarly minded entrepreneurial attorneys.

jhusser

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »

So I'll get a job at a decent law firm, work my tail off, make partner in eight years (or whatever their track is) and then bank a lot of cash and build up some clientele discretely before hanging out my own shingle.  .

Well don't talk about discretely building clientele, then.  The internet is a small world.  LSD is an even smaller world.

I hear America singing

• How do you do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 05:35:35 PM »
We're talking ten to fifteen years down the road, captain.

jhusser

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
We're talking ten to fifteen years down the road, captain.

I can remember things longer than ten to fifteen years.  Look at any Senate confirmation of a presidential appointee to see if other people can also.