Law School Discussion

UConn, UTK, Depaul or Cardozo???

KristenAnn

• Doin' the LS boogie...
    • View Profile
UConn, UTK, Depaul or Cardozo???
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:39:38 PM »
Well, I never thought it would come to this - but I have too many offers!  C'mon, fellow future lawyers, lend some advice.  I want to practice IP law (entertainment - I have been in the music and film industry for years), and my goal is to place myself in a major film market.  This goal is two-fold: for myself and for my husband who is a cinematographer.  I have LOADS of money at Depaul, their IP program is excellent, and I am much more confident of my ability to land a spot on Law Review there.  Also, Chicago is a major film market and a much cheaper city to live in while I'm a poor student living off  my sugar daddy. ;-)  BUT.. here's the delimma - I have also been accepted to UTK (in Tennessee) with a full ride (I'm a TN resident), Cardozo with no money, and UConn. Obviously, Cardozo and NYC would be fabulous opportunities, but I don't know if we'll be able to feed ourselves in New York, let alone enjoy the city because of the expense!  And UConn, despite their most excellent reputation, is in the middle of Hartford, hardly a cultural epicenter for the world of motion pictures.

I'm in at several other schools, but I have managed to rule them out for one reason or another - location, mostly.

What would you do?

Stressed and stressing,
Kris

MrBadExample

• Who's the baddest? Sho nuff!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UConn, UTK, Depaul or Cardozo???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »
You should definitely go to DePaul with me.  UConn is clownshoes (you'd have to live in Connecticut, and having spent some time in the area, let me say blech), Knoxville is shite and you'd spend the whole time awash in a sea of vol orange, and Cardozo's name is stupid.

That's my unscientific analysis.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 11:35:56 PM »
If you're into film and art and culture there is no doubt that you belong in NYC...Also, the price of living there is not that much more than Chicago and honestly TONS of poor people live in NYC...so it's not impossible...ALso, you will surely make more money coming out of Cardozo than Depaul because A it's in NYC and B it's a much better school...Im going to Cardozo...I would recommend you come too! :-*

MrBadExample

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 08:37:37 AM »
Don't believe for a second that NYC isn't light years more expensive than Chicago.  This town rocks the Motel six prices, NYC gives you a roach infested closet for 2 grand in a decent neighborhood.

cmparry

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 10:37:22 AM »
Cost of living in NYC is light years ahead of where it is in Chicago...you can actually find decent and afforable places to live in Chicago - that aren't falling apart...

MrBadExample

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
Exactly.  I'm paying $950 for 1,000 square feet or an incredible vintage rehab with a whirlpool that's 10 minutes from my law school downtown and right in the middle of Chicago's hippest neighborhood.  Want to tell me what kind of place that cheese would buy me in NYC?

Chicago is a steal.  Now I'll just hope everyone doesn't figure it out and move here lest we have to live like rats (as most New Yorkers do).

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 08:46:04 AM »
OK maybe i was wrong about chicago, but you all are trippin about NYC...I mean, it sounds like you honestly believe that non-rich people cant live there...and that is simply not true...for example im paying 1250 a month there to live in my own place in a really funky and "in" part of town...you can find MUCH less expensive places though...I mean, I do have friends in Chicago and it's not like those places are dirt cheap...also, Chicago simply doesnt have as much to offer as NYC in terms of jobs, entertaiment, diversity, coolness, etc (though clearly i realize much of this is personal preference...im biased cause i think chi-town is too cold and Im from st louis and know tons of boring midwestern people that think chicago is just fabulous...which i also find slightly uncool)...plus people make more money in NYC (though I dont know whether it's proportional to the higher cost of living)...Basically, i think any where is doable...places that are cheaper than NYC, boston, and San Fran also arent as cool...for example st louis...hahhahaha...sorry if you all object

MrBadExample

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »
This girl is smoking crack.

Just because we don't have a bunch of trustfund socialites running around subsidizing artists who poop on canvas and call it a "transformational piece of art meant to wallow in the credulity of the information age" and buying into ridiculous trends that no one else in the country pays any attention to (that's right electroclash, I'm callin' you out!) doesn't mean Chicago's any less cool than NYC.  In fact, it makes us cooler.

NYC is like living in a shoebox filled with bitter, angry people who are either struggling to make ends meet or effette posers out to spend their trust funds as quickly as possible.  I've spent time in the city and can formally declare it a dump.

In Chicago you can live like a human being.  You can have the feel of a small town combined with the cultural opportunities of a big urban area.  Don't believe for a second that NYC has ANYTHING that Chicago doesn't.  Outside of streets that smell like piss, a scene that fawns on pretention and ignores innovation, and a bunch of self-righteous dickweeds who think they and their city are the only cool things about the country, we've got everything NYC has .  And that stuff they can keep.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:53:07 PM »
hahahahahahaha dude, you're kinda nuts! maybe you'd fit into NYC better than you think!

qtip2012

• LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »
Explain your involvement in the music industry if you could, I am interested.