Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone visited Cleveland State or WVU?  (Read 697 times)

laurlaw05

Has anyone visited Cleveland State or WVU?
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »
If anyone has visited either of these schools or knows a lot about them, please let me know!

lem283

Re: Has anyone visited Cleveland State or WVU?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 01:51:11 PM »
I know nothing about WVU but I live and work in Cleveland and know a lot of law professors throughout the state because of my job.

Cleveland State is an excellent regional school and has been raising its numbers lately. They have a new dean coming in. The faculty I know there are excited about the dean and believe that he will do good things for the school. Besides the winter weather, I really like living in Cleveland. We have one of the best orchestras in the world, a world-class art museum, and some damn amazing hospitals (Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals). On top of all that we are the home of some huge law firms - Jones Day, Baker & Hostetler, and Squire Sanders.

That said, CSU-Marshall is a regional school so you should feel pretty comfortable in NE Ohio or possibly Columbus.

Hope that helps.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »
lem, just curious: Why didn't you apply there, but did apply to Case? Do you think Case is better? I've heard, at least regionally, that Case and CSU are thought to be about equal, but CSU is cheaper. What do you think?

laurlaw05

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 02:48:24 PM »
I'm from Pittsburgh and I'd like to stay semi-regional, which is why I'm strongly considering WVU as well. If I went to Cleveland State, would I necessarily need to stay around Cleveland, or do you think the reputation would extend into Western PA or at least other parts of Eastern OH?

Also, from looking around on this board and reviewing some numbers, I'm concerned about 2 things when it comes to Cleveland-Marshall. 1) The 1st year attrition rate is 22%, which concerns me, and 2) I've heard there's a harsh grading curve for first years. Have you heard anything about these things?

lem283

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 02:49:18 PM »
lem, just curious: Why didn't you apply there, but did apply to Case? Do you think Case is better? I've heard, at least regionally, that Case and CSU are thought to be about equal, but CSU is cheaper. What do you think?

Yeah, Case was free to apply since I did it online and I am looking for a school with a little more national reputation. I agree that regionally Case and CSU are VERY comparable. CSU produces a ton of judges and politicians in Ohio. Case produces people who get their degree and move to DC or New York... I want to be able to get away from Cleveland if I feel like it when I graduate. Though, I am leaning toward Catholic right now.

lem283

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
I'm from Pittsburgh and I'd like to stay semi-regional, which is why I'm strongly considering WVU as well. If I went to Cleveland State, would I necessarily need to stay around Cleveland, or do you think the reputation would extend into Western PA or at least other parts of Eastern OH?

Also, from looking around on this board and reviewing some numbers, I'm concerned about 2 things when it comes to Cleveland-Marshall. 1) The 1st year attrition rate is 22%, which concerns me, and 2) I've heard there's a harsh grading curve for first years. Have you heard anything about these things?

I think that CSU's rep would probably be OK in the East Ohio and Western PA areas but that's just a hunch.

I haven't heard anything about a harsh grading curve from the students I know at CSU. Usually my Case friend are a whole lot more stressed out than my CSU friends. I am not sure why the the high attrition rate.

laurlaw05

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »
Thanks! I'm visiting Cleveland-Marshall over my Spring break so maybe someone there will be able to provide me with some info about the attrition rate. It sounds like a good school, and Cleveland sounds like a good place for a law student to live, so it baffles me why so many people would leave the first year.