Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Appealing an Admissions Decision?  (Read 3282 times)

lw29

• View Profile
Appealing an Admissions Decision?
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:35:24 PM »
After being denied admission is it possible to appeal and ask for reconsideration?  I see some schools have policies listed in their FAQ section specifically stating they donít accept decision appeals.  Thanks.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Appealing an Admissions Decision?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 10:12:07 PM »
Unless something absolutely incredible has happened in your life between now and when you applied, like you've single-handedly made peace between the Israelis and Palestinians, you probably shouldn't bother trying.  They had a reason for rejecting you in the first place, good or not, and that reason in all likelihood still stands. Yeah it sucks, but it's happened to most of us.

That said, if you're going to try anyway, you should probably call the dean of admissions with some really good reasons why they made a mistake.  Oh, and if you're a girl, crying probably wouldn't hurt. :'(
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 04:26:52 PM »
Oh, and if you're a girl, crying probably wouldn't hurt. :'(

What does being a girl have to do with anything?

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'm just an outdated artifact of the patriarchal cultural blah blah blah, but I do think that using tears to get what you want is a better strategy for girls than guys.  I'm not saying that girls should cry to get their way, I'm just saying that it's not quite as socially unacceptable as, say, a 6'2", 200 lb guy doing it.
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:06:16 AM »
Hmm, maybe I'm just an outdated artifact of the patriarchal cultural blah blah blah, but I do think that using tears to get what you want is a better strategy for girls than guys.  I'm not saying that girls should cry to get their way, I'm just saying that it's not quite as socially unacceptable as, say, a 6'2", 200 lb guy doing it.

it's sexist, unfair, and downright not a good thing... but that's the way it is in this society

though, crying is probably more likely to get you out of a speeding ticket than a law school rejection  :P
(163+172)/3.5

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
I do think that using tears to get what you want is a better strategy for girls than guys.
:'(
I think it probably depends to whom one is trying to appeal.  Although if I were an adcomm member, I'd probably think it was great to have at least one huge dude per year to come into my office and have a nice cry over a rejection letter.  :D

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »
I do think that using tears to get what you want is a better strategy for girls than guys.
:'(
I think it probably depends to whom one is trying to appeal.  Although if I were an adcomm member, I'd probably think it was great to have at least one huge dude per year to come into my office and have a nice cry over a rejection letter.  :D

that would be pretty funny, I would have to admit one 'roid-head' a year that used at least three tissues bawling
(163+172)/3.5

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 09:54:28 PM »

No, that's the way of things. People like to pretend we live in a Starbust-filled, politically correct world.
SMU Fall '05

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »
I appealed to NYLS when I found out they had a Conditional Admissions Program. I asked them to consider me for that. I sent them a letter stating my argument and some recently published articles I wrote.

I am fairly certain that it will do me absolutely no good, but since they already rejected me, I figure I have nothing to lose. But I am definitely not expecting any kind of response from them.

I actually did this with a grad school program for writing that I applied to. They rejected me, saying that I did not have a strong enough core in English (my BA is in Music) and I wrote them a similar letter asking them to reconsider. Well, the head of the program called me, I met with him, and he admitted me into the program. I can't believe it worked! Needless to say, I am holding out for LS.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

LawBound2004

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »
I too am appealing.  Initially I was going to accept both rejections I received, however, after reviewing the school's websites and what each school submitted to LSAC, I have decided instead write letters to both schools.  It's worth a try.  Probably won't make a difference, but I thought, why not defend myself, my credentials, and my potential.