Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Appealing an Admissions Decision?  (Read 3173 times)

blinkuldhc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - blinkuldhc
    • View Profile
    • me
    • Email
Re: Appealing an Admissions Decision?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 09:54:39 PM »
I don't know fully what your case is, but I took the LSAT twice, and got 158 and 167. My first choice was USD full-time, and applied with the option of deferral to part-time if not admitted to FT. About 3 weeks ago I get rejected from full time and was offered a part time decision.

I consulted a family friend, who knows the dean of the law school at USD, to inquire if my application was reviewed correctly and fully (because of the multiple LSATs).

It turned out that USD "overlooked" my 2nd LSAT, and within 3 days they sent me an official letter of acceptance to full-time. And today they just sent me a 17k scholarship!

If you really have your heart set on a school, and you have been rejected or deferred, it's definitely worth a shot to appeal, or at least inquire to see if your application was reviewed correctly. Adcoms have 1000's of applications to review, and it's not impossible that there are errors in their process.
SCORE!: USD ($$$)
Broken beer goggles: W&M, Hastings, BC , WUstl
Liqouring up: Temple, Santa Clara, Loyola (LA)
C*ck blocked: Wisconsin
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=blinkuldhc

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 10:02:28 PM »
wow.  it's amazing the USD overlooked your second LSAT.  so did the dean go to the admissions office directly to inquire on your behalf or did you end up writing a letter to request reconsideration?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 10:15:25 PM »
When I was at weather training school (Air Force- 13 yrs. ago) I failed a block test with an abysmal 55.  All the other failures got to retest, but since my score was so awful (the block was on how guided missiles are affected by different weather phenomena- booorrrinnnggg!) I would not be given the chance and simply washed out.  So I cried my pretty little head off... sob sob sob... and the sergeant in charge (I think I freaked him out a little with all the snot and dribble), said, "Alright, you can retest, too."  I was the ONLY one out of the 10 retestees to pass.  I got a 98.  Crying can help.  Oh yes it can!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 01:15:33 AM »
I guess if you aren't planning to ever apply to the school again, it wouldn't hurt to harass them for one. But so many of the schools that I applied to strongly state and restate that the decision will be final/is final. I just think that if I was one of the application reviewers, I would be pretty annoyed and in a way insulted by the suggestion that I didn't review the file carefully. But I guess if it's something like a part-time vs full-time it's different.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 01:32:33 AM »
Appealing can be successful. I would suggest coming up with an angle and illustrating something that was left out of your application.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 02:24:51 AM »
Does crying work better than making threats?

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 06:19:13 AM »
Does crying work better than making threats?
Depends if the threat includes blackmail
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
I think the horse head in the bed would do the trick.