Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where To Go??? What To Major In???  (Read 3026 times)

peteyincr

• View Profile
    • Email
Where To Go??? What To Major In???
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:58:06 PM »
Im a grade 11 student in Canada and plan to go to school in the states, undergrad and law school i think but i have no idea where to apply or even where to start in narrowing it down.  Ive been thinking of poli sci as a major but ive been hearing that its too ordinary and i should maybe major in something else to make my application for law school stand out, what are some other majors somewhat similar but out of the ordinary?  Any ideas for undergrad, law schools or majors??? HELP ME

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where To Go??? What To Major In???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »
For starters, don't even start thinking about where you want to go to law school now.  You don't know what your qualifications will be by the time you're out of college or even if you'll still be interested in law school.

As for what to major in, law schools don't really care what you major in, although they may look at your GPA slightly differently if you're in a major that's perceived as difficult or particularly easy.  It may be slightly easier to get in with a bad GPA if you majored in physics or mathematics than if you majored in Art History.  The important thing is to pick something that interests you and you'll do well in.

As for where to go for undergrad, again, the idea is to go somewhere you'll enjoy yourself and learn something.  Start by thinking about whether you want to be in a research university or liberal arts college, in a college town or a large city, in a party school, someplace dead serious or somewhere in the middle, and so on.  Have a look at the U.S. News rankings to get a first impression of what kind of schools you have a reasonable chance at getting in at, then pick up a guidebook and read about schools in that class to figure out which ones sound like places you'd like to be.  Also, it helps to read the promotional materials you'll get sent after you take the SAT.

Personally, I'd recommend my alma mater to anyone.  Just stay away from cheap knockoffs like Amherst and Williams.  ;)
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

puma

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »
How many question marks should I use??? Is three enough??? I don't know???

j/k

Major in whatever you can are interested in enough to be proud when you graduate.  Oh, also, get the best grades possible.  It really doesn't matter.  Also, RELAX!  Get drunk and travel. 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 03:32:27 PM »
Get drunk and travel. 

Don't drink and drive. You can learn a lot from a dummy.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:28:02 AM »
Go somewhere you like for college, and major in something you enjoy and are passionate about.  Worry about law school in 4 or 5 years.

MC Paul Barman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 08:09:02 PM »
dont do something stupid like choosing your UG major based on your desire to go to LS. go to college, major in something that intrests you, get drunk, meet girls, and have fun.

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »

EPH05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 08:45:54 PM »
Anton's a liar about Swarthmore.  It's a terrible school, as is Amherst.  If you go to a Liberal Arts it should be Williams, no exceptions.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 12:01:35 AM »
Go to Williams if you want to come out a dumb jock with a fancy degree, and if you REALLY like the color purple.  Go to Amherst if you want to get away with not doing any real work and still having a pretty diploma from a nice-sounding score.  Go to Swarthmore if you want to be able to walk down the street and slap people with the weight of your intelligence.
Yale.Law.School.2010

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 12:22:42 AM »
Go to Williams if you want to come out a dumb jock with a fancy degree, and if you REALLY like the color purple.  Go to Amherst if you want to get away with not doing any real work and still having a pretty diploma from a nice-sounding score.  Go to Swarthmore if you want to be able to walk down the street and slap people with the weight of your intelligence.
or go to columbia if you want to slap across swarthmore's pple's face with the weight of your intellignece.
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009