Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rejected at yale and stanford  (Read 4158 times)

tre1160

Re: rejected at yale and stanford
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 07:26:36 PM »

she didnt ask anyone to feel sorry for her. a rejection is a rejection, it is never fun no matter what your stats or options.  she knows she has great opportunities and are grateful for them, but this doesnt change the fact that one can still get hurt by a rejection letter, any rejection from Yale to 4th tier.

so you think she just posted it only for the purpose of venting?  Of course she knew she would get supportive responses.  I didn't feel like showing any support because I don't think she deserves any and I don't think she should be asking for it, considering her circumstances.  I have been rejected to countless schools so I know the feeling and understand that it hurts.  I just think she was being insensitive when she basically insulted everyone who can't get into the schools she has gotten into by saying that she feels inadequate for not getting into Yale and Stanford. 

jayhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:26:43 PM »
are we supposed to feel sorry for you?????  You have only been admitted to 8 of the best schools in the country and you are crying about not getting into two of them.  Did you know that you can only attend one school?   I think having 8 of the best to choose from is good enough.  So I ask, if you are inadequate, what does that make people like me who, with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's?  Even worse, what does that make people who can only get into tier 2s or 3s? 

I am sorry but keep your crying to yourself.  If you aren't satisfied with your accomplishments thus far I don't think you ever will be.  It is unfortunate because most people would die to be in your position.

i wasn't asking anyone to feel sorry for me.  in fact, i didn't even want to post these rejections, but i feel somewhat obligated to do so because i have posted on this site for so long.  and are you sure that you can only attend one school?  cause i didn't get that memo.  ::)

if you had taken the time to read ANY of my other posts, you would see that i am really happy about every acceptance i have received.  but regardless of any other acceptances, it still hurts when a school you would really like to go to rejects you. 

also, how is being upset about a rejection from yale or stanford in any way insulting to someone who "with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's"?  first of all, why is it my problem that you haven't achieved what you would like to?  secondly, how is my getting rejected from my top choice (regardless of acceptances to other schools) any different from you getting rejected from your top choice?  finally, if you don't want to hear comments like mine, why in the hell would you read a thread titled "rejected from stanford and yale"? 

ilsox7

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 07:28:28 PM »

also, how is being upset about a rejection from yale or stanford in any way insulting to someone who "with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's"?  first of all, why is it my problem that you haven't achieved what you would like to?  secondly, how is my getting rejected from my top choice (regardless of acceptances to other schools) any different from you getting rejected from your top choice?  finally, if you don't want to hear comments like mine, why in the hell would you read a thread titled "rejected from stanford and yale"?

180.  And drunk none the less.  I'm impressed!

tre1160

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 07:53:32 PM »

also, how is being upset about a rejection from yale or stanford in any way insulting to someone who "with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's"?

hmmmmm....I think you can figure this one out having scored a 180 on the LSAT. 

first of all, why is it my problem that you haven't achieved what you would like to?

I never said it was your problem. 

secondly, how is my getting rejected from my top choice (regardless of acceptances to other schools) any different from you getting rejected from your top choice?

I apologize.  I didn't do my research.  I didn't know that one of those schools was your top choice.

finally, if you don't want to hear comments like mine, why in the hell would you read a thread titled "rejected from stanford and yale"?

I chose to read it because I find it interesting that someone as adept at test taking and getting good grades (and apparently drinking) is so insensitive. 

By the way, you never answered my question about what you think about the rest of us who can't get into those schools.  I am sorry that you feel inadequate.  Although I will never test like you, I actually feel quite accomplished.  Yes, I have not achieved the best LSAT score but I have achieved much more in areas that you probably haven't achieved a thing.        Each to their own. 

ilsox7

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »
Yes, I have not achieved the best LSAT score but I have achieved much more in areas that you probably haven't achieved a thing.

Stop being a jackass and leave the girl alone, geeze.  You obviously have nothing to add to this thread.

tre1160

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 08:00:27 PM »
Sorry. I stand corrected, again.  You scored a 175 on the LSAT not a 180.  Awesome nonetheless. 

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »
dude, jayhawk's awesome.  those of you who are bitching her out are the ones being insensitive.  it doesn't matter what other acceptances she has under her belt, rejections still hurt.  and she just got them today, so it's not even like she's still feeling inadequate a month down the line (and even if she did, that doesn't mean she thinks any less of anyone who *didn't* get accepted at the schools where she did; it doesn't work that way at all).

jayhawk, i agree with the earlier poster that at least you got them both over with quickly.  silver lining :)  tomorrow morning, you'll wake up and know exactly what you're options are.  you can visit harvard this month (or next?  not sure which admit weekend you're attending), fall in love with the school, repeat as necessary with NYU and columbia and wherever else you're visiting.  chin up, sweetie :-*
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jayhawk

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 08:20:28 PM »

also, how is being upset about a rejection from yale or stanford in any way insulting to someone who "with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's"?

hmmmmm....I think you can figure this one out having scored a 180 on the LSAT. 

didn't score a 180 on the lsat.  scored a 175, and am still not able to tell why my getting rejected from stanford or yale insults someone who didn't even apply.  :-\

first of all, why is it my problem that you haven't achieved what you would like to?

I never said it was your problem. 

you implied such with the statement, "So I ask, if you are inadequate, what does that make people like me who, with some luck, might be able to get into the very bottom rung of tier 1's?  Even worse, what does that make people who can only get into tier 2s or 3s?"

to be honest, i feel for the people that "can only get into tier 2s or 3s" but i don't take any personal blame for their situation.  should i apologize for doing well on the lsat? 

secondly, how is my getting rejected from my top choice (regardless of acceptances to other schools) any different from you getting rejected from your top choice?

I apologize.  I didn't do my research.  I didn't know that one of those schools was your top choice.

because noone considers yale or stanford a top choice?

finally, if you don't want to hear comments like mine, why in the hell would you read a thread titled "rejected from stanford and yale"?

I chose to read it because I find it interesting that someone as adept at test taking and getting good grades (and apparently drinking) is so insensitive. 

based on your responses, i highly doubt that you have read many of my posts (if any).  therefore, you probably didn't know before reading this thread that i was adept at test-taking or getting good grades (or drinking, for that matter).  so your response is somewhat illogical.  and, referring to the first statement in this post, i still don't understand how what i wrote is insensitive.  once again (maybe i don't understand?) how is my getting rejected from 2 schools insensitive or insulting to someone who didn't even apply to those schools?  or to someone who did apply and was also rejected?

By the way, you never answered my question about what you think about the rest of us who can't get into those schools. 

i've posted this on other threads in the past (which i assume you have not read, since you seem to know nothing about me at all), but i have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone going to any law school.  not only is it achieving a personal dream, but it's also climbing to a new height in the professional world.  regardless of the school, any study of law is commendable.

I am sorry that you feel inadequate.  Although I will never test like you, I actually feel quite accomplished.  Yes, I have not achieved the best LSAT score but I have achieved much more in areas that you probably haven't achieved a thing.        Each to their own. 

congrats on that! this statement seems to say what you are really getting at:  "i didn't do well on the lsat but i'm better than you!  :P"
 assuming that you are better than people that you have never met probably won't get you far in life, but as you say, "each to their own"

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 08:29:46 PM »
At least you know. I am still on watch for my Yale rejection.

i'm fine with it, really.  i just don't understand why they had to come on the same day.  and on a day when i've been out celebrating how happy i am all day.  so essentially i was having an awesome day, and i come home at 5:00 and see that i am a reject.  i saw this coming, but i thought (hoped) they would wait a little longer.  really, how am i so bad that despite the numbers they don't want me?  wait, don't answer that, i don't want the answer. 

i am sorry to start a whole silly thread about my inadequacies.  to be honest, i am a bit drunk right now (i had a great day yesterday and today) and totally didn't see this coming.  i mean, i expected to be rejected eventually, but not right away, and not in the same day.  i am going to cry some more....
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

jayhawk

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 08:34:54 PM »
two quotes (from tre1160) that are completely unrelated to the situation at hand but funny nonetheless:

"I am also sick of working with IVY league idiots who only got their jobs because of where they came from, rather than what they know.  In my opinion, where you get your degree doesn't matter half as much as how you apply yourself in class and what knowledge you have going in."

"I was on 3 waitlists and I miraculously got in 2 of the schools.  I called both dean of admissions to plead my case, I sent in a letter to both telling them why their school was my first choice, and I sent in an additional letter of recommendation.  For one school I was lucky because my mom's friend knew the dean and gave him a call.  That probably helped."

although i admit i know nothing about him personally, i feel like these statements say a lot about tre1160.  he dislikes people that are successful and blames their success on factors beyond their control, but will take advantage of any opportunity to help himself (while still blaming others who have succeeded without this outside help).