Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employment/Unemployment/$$ Question  (Read 1698 times)

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Employment/Unemployment/$$ Question
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »
Ok, I am having my weekly freak out that consists of, How the hell am I going to afford law school?!?!?!
I am usually able to calm myself down by reminding myself that we are all in the same boat and I'll be able to make it work somehow, blah blah, but today I kind of feel like venting.
In know I will be able to get some combination of grants/gov't loans/private loans to cover what the school has determined to be its cost of attendance, but what if that isn't enough? I am 95% sure that I'll be attending Hastings, which means relocating me and my hubby to a much, much more expensive city. A friend of ours is hooking up with a 1bedroom apt for 1000/month which is actually a good deal in the city.
I am really worried about my hubby being able to find a job to help support us. I've been reading some things about what a competitive job market SF is and how hard it is to find a job there. Does anyone know how true this is? I don't think we can afford for him to be out of work for months. Also, if he is quitting his job to relocate with me will he be eligible for unemployment benefits? It wouldn't be much because he doesn't really make much right now - he's working part time and in school full time - but it would at least be something.
We also have literally zero savings. We will be scrimping and saving over the next 5 months just to get enough to be able to afford to move. We also have $10,000 maxed out on a credit card - some from our wedding/honeymoon, the LSAT and LSDAS charges, LS application fees, his tuition/ books for this semester (long story as to why this isn't paid by financial aid) and of course some stupid consumer debt. I am a little scared about having no savings or immediate access to funds. I am thinking of getting another credit card so I'll feel like I have a safety net, but then I tell myself what a stupid idea that is.
Sorry, this is a really loooong, ranting post...this is just a nagging concern and I'm afraid my friends and family are going to get tired of hearing it. Thanks for reading, I know there are others in the same boat,and I'll appreciate any suggestions.
I think I feel better already  ;)
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
Re: Employment/Unemployment/$$ Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 06:05:43 PM »
bump
Attending: Fordham

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »
I did my undergrad in SF, and you're right, it's a really tough city to get by in without a lot of money. 

Here's my suggestions:
1: Sell drugs
2: Sell bodily fluids
3: Sell yourself

The trick is finding someplace that will buy all three from you at the same time, since you won't have time to be running all over the bay area.  Good luck!
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »
I did my undergrad in SF, and you're right, it's a really tough city to get by in without a lot of money. 

Here's my suggestions:

The trick is finding someplace that will buy all three from you at the same time, since you won't have time to be running all over the bay area.  Good luck!
lol...oddly I actually thought about selling my eggs (that is a really weird thing to type) but got weirded out by having to take all the hormone shots. Anyway, thanks for the humor.  8)

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 07:22:19 PM »

Here's my suggestions:

lol...oddly I actually thought about selling my eggs (that is a really weird thing to type) but got weirded out by having to take all the hormone shots. Anyway, thanks for the humor.  8)

that's exactly how i paid for lsat, lsdas and law school apps (selling eggs, i mean).  and i am currently in the process of another donation, which will pay for my moving costs clear across country, buying a kick-ass computer, setting up home (even with first-last-broker fees), doing all of my school shopping, buying plane tickets for me and my cat... i know it sounds crazy, but it's enabled me to apply to and actually transition into law school, which i wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.  it's certainly not for everyone, but it's a viable option if you qualify.

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 07:33:47 PM »

Here's my suggestions:

that's exactly how i paid for lsat, lsdas and law school apps (selling eggs, i mean).  and i am currently in the process of another donation, which will pay for my moving costs clear across country, buying a kick-ass computer, setting up home (even with first-last-broker fees), doing all of my school shopping, buying plane tickets for me and my cat... i know it sounds crazy, but it's enabled me to apply to and actually transition into law school, which i wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.  it's certainly not for everyone, but it's a viable option if you qualify.
It doesn't sound crazy at all actually. I thought really seriously about it and did some research on it, but before I actually contacted any companies I chickened out. Maybe I'll pm you for more info, if you don't mind...

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 07:38:08 PM »
any time...  :)

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 07:40:12 PM »
any time...  :)

I've sent you a PM, thanks!  :)

WOMBAT

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 07:55:51 PM »
Hey Zakrob,

I don't know if I have any answers for you, but you might be comforted knowing that almost everyone I know - across the board - is having financial difficulty right now.

It would be bad if you were the only one, but you're not. I am not going to list a bunch of difficult scenarios, but right now times are tough. The middle class is fast erroding, if not gone already. The tide of consumer debt will return any day now and things will get worse. I saw an article in Time which said the average 20 something received about $2,500/ year in parental subsidies. I don't receive much from my parents (I'm 28 and haven't lived at home in 10 years), but I had to ask my pops to pay for my glasses recently. 

My wife and I never carried debt (other than her student loan), but we now have a balance on our credit card and we are tapped at the bank. I took money out of my IRA to pay for all of this law school stuff. And I have had to take more out for other unexpected expenses. It's very stressful... wages are crumbling while cost of living goes up. My dad made more in 1970 than my wife and I combined this year. And he considered himself broke back then.

Once I get through this LS application cycle I plan on ditching my internets. You have to plug the holes.

Again, I have no suggestions; just realize that you are not alone.

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:13:03 PM »
bump

seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. maybe we could sell the boat and split the proceeds...  :-\
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*