Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The World’s Greatest Cinematic Masterpieces, Your opinions/contributions welcome  (Read 2514 times)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
Oh I want to add another one: The Iron Giant. This is maybe the perfect family movie. Tragically underrated. I defy you watch this movie and not cry at the end. God, I'm tearing up just thinking of it. 

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
And I want to add Amelie.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Chiefs

• View Profile
Citizen Kane and Amelie are both fantastic movies.
"The very foundation of interhuman discourse is misunderstanding."  --Jacques Lacan

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm bored enough to play.

Comedies:
Caddyshack, The Big Lebowski, Napoleon Dynamite, Animal House

Adventures:
Indiana Jones and the Ark, Back to the Future, Star Wars

War:
Apocolypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Das Boot, Bridge on the River Kwai

Drama:
Godfather I, Streetcar Named Desire, Magnolia

I love soooo many films that I'm leaving a TON out.  But these are a few of my favs.

Chiefs

• View Profile
I wonder who's actually seen Paths of Glory or Barry Lyndon here.  I'm not sure why nobody tends to speak of these spectacular works of art, and I'm a little confused as to why I'm the only one mentioning these movies.  Film connoisseurs, can I get a little help on stressing the fantastically powerful scope of these movies? 

Who's actually seen Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon?

I understand they may be a bit old for movies, but since someone raiesed Citizen Kane I assume some of you are familiar with older Kubricks.

Did I forget to mention Dr. Strangelove?

~chiefs
"The very foundation of interhuman discourse is misunderstanding."  --Jacques Lacan

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
Never seen Barry Lyndon, but I would highly recommend Paths of Glory.  I've only seen it once, and it was several years ago.  I should probably see it again to get the whole effect.  People should see it just so they can get a sense of what trench warfare was really like.

As far as Dr. Strangelove, I give that two thumbs up as well.  Although just like Paths of Glory, I've only seen the film once and should probably give it another view some time. Of course, if we're talking Kubrick I'd also have to offer up A Clockwork Orange and the Shinning, along with, to a lesser extent, Lolita, as films that have withstood the test of time as great works.

spit

• View Profile
    • Email
midnight cowboy.

LaneSwerver

Never seen Barry Lyndon, but I would highly recommend Paths of Glory.  I've only seen it once, and it was several years ago.  I should probably see it again to get the whole effect.  People should see it just so they can get a sense of what trench warfare was really like.

As far as Dr. Strangelove, I give that two thumbs up as well.  Although just like Paths of Glory, I've only seen the film once and should probably give it another view some time. Of course, if we're talking Kubrick I'd also have to offer up A Clockwork Orange and the Shinning, along with, to a lesser extent, Lolita, as films that have withstood the test of time as great works.

A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Lolita are inferior to Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, and A Space Odyssey.  The first three you mentioned are great films, I agree they're fantastic, but they are just not so dramatically moving and intellectually provocative such as the ones I've mentioned.

What are you doing, Dave? This is highly irregular.

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I wonder who's actually seen Paths of Glory or Barry Lyndon here.  I'm not sure why nobody tends to speak of these spectacular works of art, and I'm a little confused as to why I'm the only one mentioning these movies.  Film connoisseurs, can I get a little help on stressing the fantastically powerful scope of these movies? 

Who's actually seen Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon?

I understand they may be a bit old for movies, but since someone raiesed Citizen Kane I assume some of you are familiar with older Kubricks.

Did I forget to mention Dr. Strangelove?

~chiefs

You cannot be a true Kubrick fan without mentioning The Killing.  If you have not seen this, do so.

My Kubrick Top 5:

1) 2001
2) Strangelove
3) Clockwork
4) Full Metal Jacket
5) Eyes Wide Shut - 20 years from now, people will begin to understand this movie's greatness.

It pains me to leave out the rest, especially Paths & Spartacus.

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Bets American Film of last 40 or so years - all just about PERFECT in every possible way. 

1)  Godfather
2)  Godfather II
3)  The Last Picture Show
4)  Chinatown
5)  Pulp Fiction

I feel a need to talk about The Last Picture Show.  Anyone?