Law School Discussion

Alright, Boalt Acceptees - Give me Hope! (where are you going?)

Re: Alright, Boalt Acceptees - Give me Hope! (where are you going?)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »
Even though there may be no distinctions between people in the bottom 60% of the class, distinctions certainly would remain between those who consistently receive a mark of "pass" as opposed to someone who consistently receives high honors.  I can see how the pass grade eliminates competition among those in the bottom sixty percent, but doesn't it become that much more difficult, and therefore competitive, to receive a high honors?  By all means I am hoping that the answer is no, but I just can't imgaine the environment being as relaxed as most people have seemed to suggest.  Any thoughts? 

lil_token

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
Even though there may be no distinctions between people in the bottom 60% of the class, distinctions certainly would remain between those who consistently receive a mark of "pass" as opposed to someone who consistently receives high honors.  I can see how the pass grade eliminates competition among those in the bottom sixty percent, but doesn't it become that much more difficult, and therefore competitive, to receive a high honors?  By all means I am hoping that the answer is no, but I just can't imgaine the environment being as relaxed as most people have seemed to suggest.  Any thoughts? 

Yes, there is more of a basis for distinction at the end of three years, but when 1/3 of the class gets all P's first semester, it's kind of hard to write them all off as "the bottom of the class."  The thing is, even a person who consistently got P's could have consistently gotten one of the highest P's in the class, thus placing him in the top 41% for each of those classes. 

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 01:19:14 PM »
Boalt is absolutely my dream school.  I just found out I'm on the waitlist, and according to the letter I received, there's nothing I can do to change my position on it or increase my chances.

So, humor me -- those of you who got into Boalt probably also got accepted to a lot of other t14s.  Which will you choose?  When do you plan to tell Boalt you're not planning to go there?  I imagine a lot of people are planning to go to admit weekend and see how that goes . . .

It's crazy; I'd hoped my whole law school admission stress would be over soon.  Looks like it could last all the way until the end of the summer!  Arghhh!

I'll likely withdraw after I get a look at the financial aid packages.
Boalt will have to make a very serious scholarship/grant offer (beyond full tuition) to stay in contention. (and I live in Berkeley)
I imagine there are a lot of people in that boat. You'll probably see a lot of spaces open up after Boalt gets around to sending out financial aid offers, which under the current budget situation will mostly be pretty crappy.

The other big factor is Stanford. Stanford is notorious for taking forever to make decisions, and they are holding true to that reputation this year. I imagine there are several hundred applicants who are in at Boalt and pending at Stanford. Once Stanford finally makes a decision on that mountain of applicants, you'll probably see a few Boalt withdrawals.

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »

The other big factor is Stanford. Stanford is notorious for taking forever to make decisions, and they are holding true to that reputation this year. I imagine there are several hundred applicants who are in at Boalt and pending at Stanford. Once Stanford finally makes a decision on that mountain of applicants, you'll probably see a few Boalt withdrawals.

The suspense is killing me (and I've only been complete for a month). I made the stupid mistake of going to visit the campus and talked to one of the ad-comms. That only made me want to go there that much more. ARGH!!!!

fabdiva

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 05:37:50 PM »

The suspense is killing me (and I've only been complete for a month). I made the stupid mistake of going to visit the campus and talked to one of the ad-comms. That only made me want to go there that much more. ARGH!!!!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My understanding is that files are reviewed, some are admitted, some are rejected, and others are held to be reviewed again in April or so.

Were they receptive to arranging a meeting with a member of the adcomm? I'll be visiting for the Boalt ASD and thought I might try to visit Stanford as well.

Jennaye

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 06:46:06 PM »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My understanding is that files are reviewed, some are admitted, some are rejected, and others are held to be reviewed again in April or so.

Were they receptive to arranging a meeting with a member of the adcomm? I'll be visiting for the Boalt ASD and thought I might try to visit Stanford as well.

btw, I don't know whether it helped with my admission at Boalt or not, but Mr. Tom knew that I had been there.

hth

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 02:10:33 AM »

They were more than happy to meet me. I called the office and said I had some questions. She said, "Okay, go to the window (at the school) if they are application related." I told them my questions were about the law school and more complex than procedural questions. They set me up with a meeting with one of the ad-comms. I honestly don't know how the meeting went. All I know is that I can honestly say that I tried as much as I possibly could. *sigh*. That still won't cushion the rejection blow.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 02:59:17 AM »
I'll withdraw my application from the Boalt waitlist if that will help.

TuffDog

• Ah, the dog's life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 10:36:05 AM »
Yes, that certainly does help!  :D

It can affect how others are ranked on the waitlist in May.

caldx

• 169/3.88, Berkeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 02:48:10 PM »
Definitely not withdrawing yet. Just got F-ed in the ass by Stanford (no lube). It's looking more and more like another 3 years in Berkeley.