Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is the deal with "T14"? Who decided to start saying "T14"?  (Read 755 times)

texasaggie

what is the deal with that?  who picks 14, i mean come on!  usually people pick multiples of 5 when saying "top" anything.  Someon please tell me!

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: What is the deal with "T14"? Who decided to start saying "T14"?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:59:53 PM »
The purported reason is that the top 14 schools have always been the top 14 schools in the history of USNWR. The order has changed, but the T14 have always been the T14. Therefore, it's perceived as a more stable indicator than top 15. The fact that it leaves off Texas-- a state many law applicants have antipathy for-- is often perceived as a nice bonus.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:38:14 PM »
Its also because the top 14 are nationally recuited, whereas UTexas is more regional that the preceding.

kristay

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 03:02:35 AM »
They've been the same 14 schools ever since USNWR started using the current method of determining the rankings.

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:59:13 AM »
Its also because the top 14 are nationally recuited, whereas UTexas is more regional that the preceding.

Sketchyphi provided the link, but this is very incorrect.