Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jewish life in Cali  (Read 2786 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Jewish life in Cali
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »
I'm probably off to Boalt in the fall (filled with excitement) - can anyone tell me about Jewish life in the Bay Area? Has anyone been involved/ is planning to get involved?
Any info/opinions will be much appreciated!

LawLawLand

Re: Jewish life in Cali
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 05:09:48 PM »
Although I'm not Jewish, my boyfriend is and he lives in LA. So as far as I'm concerned the Jewish life rules in Cali. I cannot wait to take breaks from law school to go shopping and light that Hanukkah candle thing and be rich when I get there.

Jenmuhl

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »
Hi. I know there are alot of jews in LA.  If there is a jewish law students association at the school you're looking at(I forget which Cali one you stated), I would email someone on the board there and ask them those questions. I did that for Penn State Dickinson because that's my best option right now. They were very helpful and told me the percentage of people that identify as being jewish at the school and about various events in the community and at the school. HTH.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »
i assume you dont mean religious, because there are virtually no religious jews in the area, but it seems a fair amount of jewish people and jewish activity in the area.

this might help.

http://hillel.org/hillel/Hillel_Schools_New.nsf/0/6A93727B227EC7CE85256DF3006E4DC7?OpenDocument

YellowSpringer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 05:39:22 PM »
I grew up in Berkeley, with a bunch of musicians and mathematicians, and my experience was that the Jewish intellectual community there is thriving. My son will celebrate his bar mitzvah a year from June (at the end of my 1L), and I was pretty confident that we could find a temple that would take us at such a late date. Fortunately (?) I was dinged at Boalt, so we don't face that problem.

I can't speak to the bagel quality, but you shouldn't have any problem at all in Berkeley finding a nice congregation of whatever type floats your boat.

Shalom!

Sue Me Now

• i heart law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 05:53:21 PM »
As a gay black man, I have heard that there is a huge Jewish population in LA since that where Hollywood is located. HTH.
161/3.81
ring-columbia($$),fordham($$$),rutgers newark($$$$),NYU (cheap-o)  
ding-NA
who knows?- brooklyn, cornell, upenn, st johns

HighlanderDP95

• View Profile
Bagels in Berkeley
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 06:01:57 PM »
Noah's.   Good noshin'   They are all over NoCal (including Davis, where I was introduced to them.)
King Hall, '98
Admitted CA, '98, NV '02
Stats (1995)
3.75/160
Accepted: King Hall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted then Accepted: Hastings, UCLA
Waitlisted then . . .: Arizona, Colorado
Denied:  Boalt, Texas

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 04:27:25 AM »
Thank you all so much for posting - I really appreciate it, the link, the comments and the advice. So nice of you! I'm really getting excited now!
So not much of a religious life? I'm so excited about the intellectual life people mention (and about the food!mmmm!), but I am a practicing Jew so it would also be nice to find a congregation that fits, too. But I am glad to know that there are Jews in the area... I sorta knew more about LA, but know virtually nothing about SF and Berkeley.
I will check out the Jewish students' association 9there is one at Boalt) and write back on that. Goo luck with your son's Bar Mitzvah, Yellow Springer!
thanks again to all :)

LawLawLand

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 09:42:37 AM »
Chabad? Huh? Um...English, please??

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 10:29:39 AM »
Lawlawland, Chabad is an orthodox Jewish organisation (non converting or anything of the sort) that has a worldwide huge outreach movement to provide a Jewish base for Jews no matter where in the world they may be. They do amazing work, and there is one EVERYWHERE. And I mean that. If you go to Chabad.org you'll see.
It's a great suggestion. I'm actually co-President of my campus (Oxford University) Chabad Society and I'm so happy to be involved. I'm not very orthodox myself, but i really love going and learning about Judaism, hearing lectures and celebrating holidays. And I'll definitely be there tonight for Shabbat dinner. Who could say no to Challah?

I randomly met the Chabad rabbi at Berkeley when I visted, because it was orientation and there were stalls everywhere. The rabbi seemed pretty despondent about Berkeley Jewry. He was  scarily adamant: 'go anywhere, Penn, NYU, LA, but don't come to Berkeley'. That's what freaked me out a bit. But I _am_ going to Berkeley, so we shall see whether his warning was warranted.  I know there is a big anti-Israel movement in Berkeley (I know that being Jewish doesn't necessarily mean you support Israel, but I do, and I am Israeli).... I am optimistic about it.