Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Jennaye apologize for her pre-acceptance comments about low-LSAT acceptances and URM status?

Yes
 19 (48.7%)
No
 20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)  (Read 7085 times)

Regal_Muse

Re: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 07:46:03 PM »
Eh it's the internet. Most of those xoxoers are probably not like that in real life. They use the internet as an opporutnity to be a troll. I doubt they are thinking about her after they sign off and go back to their lives.

maricutie

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 07:49:49 PM »
Eh it's the internet. Most of those xoxoers are probably not like that in real life. They use the internet as an opporutnity to be a troll. I doubt they are thinking about her after they sign off and go back to their lives.

The thought of them doing so, however, is creepy.  :P

Jennaye

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:10 PM »
Who is this Jennaye person?

A white woman who, prior to getting accepted to Boalt with a 160/3.7, made statements to the effect that the only way low-LSAT applicants get into top schools is through AA.
Come on now, you're completely misrepresenting what I said.  Please cite the entry where I said this.  Thanks.

(oh, and that was a 3.87, not 3.7)

rohan

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
Who is this Jennaye person?

A white woman who, prior to getting accepted to Boalt with a 160/3.7, made statements to the effect that the only way low-LSAT applicants get into top schools is through AA.
Come on now, you're completely misrepresenting what I said.  Please cite the entry where I said this.  Thanks.

(oh, and that was a 3.87, not 3.7)

I would be interested to see this as well..

NYBound05

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 01:00:49 PM »
Awwww, a thread for me! Lil token, you shouldn't have...

But seriously, this Jennaye girl doesn't have a clue, which makes it VERY hard to have the most simple discussions with her.

I looked at numbers for Boalt and UCLA, and saw that a small pool of applicants with my numbers were admitted.  So, I began to wonder who those people were.  Were they people with outstanding LORs?  Were they people who wrote addendums to explain their LSAT score?  Were they all HYS grads?  Were they URMs?  I just chose the URMs explanation because it seemed like a likely explanation. 

And here's the one from her AA thread:

So I've been looking over the GPA/LSAT charts of applicants/acceptances (for Berkeley and UCLA, specifically) and despite my crappy LSAT score (160), some people in my LSAT/GPA range (3.84 GPA) and even those below my LSAT range were in fact accepted to each school.  (about 15% with my stats, in fact).

Are those who were accepted all URMs?

Why would they accept people with lower LSAT scores while rejecting people with 170+?  I'd like to think it's because they've got outstanding recommendations, extracurriculars, and academic honors (like I do) but I'm still not holding out hope.

For the zillionth time, this is the problem I had with Jennaye. She felt that applicants on LSN who were admitted to Boalt with low numbers were admitted BECAUSE they were URMs.  To her, the "URM Explanation" was sufficient to explain why applicants with relatively low numbers were accepted.  It wasn't because of their superb extras, but b/c they were probably, in her opinion, URMs.

But wait, hold the f-in phone!  There's more folks, and this is the killer, really it is...

When SHE gets accepted to boalt with a low lsat score, well *&^%, it's because of her fabulous extras!  Her research, her community service!  Duh!  Why would anyone think anything else????  ???

That's what pisses me off.  I had all of that and a HELLUVA lot more, but she assumed that applicants like me got in JUST because we are URMs.  She felt that AA can explain the reason that applicants with low numbers got into Boalt--their skin color gained them acceptance, and not any of their accomplishments.  She felt this was the "likely" explanation.  She didn't want to "hold out hope" assuming those applicants had something special in their application aside from their race--she felt that was all they had going for them.

Now I don't expect Jennaye to understand this, really I don't.  She'll probably say she didn't write that quote I posted or some crazy mess, but I don't care.  I posted that primarily for folks on here that don't feel like reading that thread (like Victor and Biting Panther).

As a side note, I also don't like the fact that she told Regal on her AA thread that "it's silly" to be proud of being Black, and that diversity statements are "BS."  I hate ignorance, and statements like these just exude it.  Again, Jennaye is pretty "out there," and I truly hope that she takes a good look at herself prior to entering law school.  If she is unable to understand and comprehend the implications of her own arguments, ESPECIALLY those that are as simple as the one I posted, she will inevitably get eaten alive at boalt, or whatever school she ends up at.

rohan

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 01:58:11 PM »
Daymnnn...Thanks SWB.  Here quotes pretty much summed it up IMO.  This is an oh so classic case.  She could have at least gone back and deleted her posts if she was going to change her tune....hahaha
Oh well...the beat goes on.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:51 PM »
SWB she's a tool. In her eyes you got into Boalt b/c of your race/ethnicity, but she got in b/c of her fantastic extras.  ::) What a hypocritical c*nt (yeah I said it, don't need to look twice). Not that I'm biased or anything but I bet my future earnings that your credentials are way more impressive than her; but oooooooooooooooooooh no, you got into Boalt b/c of your "negro" heritage. SWB if you do decide to attend Boalt (after your Columbia acceptance of course) please smack her for me. I'll pay you. You can say I did it b/c you know they think all us "negros" look alike anyway.

Jennaye

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
I could take quotes that all of you said out of context and make you all sound like a bunch of idiots.  Funny how you didn't post my quotes congratulating people (NubianPrincess included), attack bigoted ideas, etc.

I'm sorry if you took my question to mean that I thought URMs are any less intelligent than non-URMs, or whatever bull you seem to be interpreting my words as saying.  That's not what I meant, and honestly, not what I said. 

You say that I'm going to have a hard time in law school (funny, I've never had a problem with people (except some conservatives and all bigots) in my 22 years of existence).  In my opinion, you're going to have a tough time in law school if you try to claim everyone's racist and out to get you.

So, can you just let it go?  I hope so, not just for my sake but for yours as well.  Stop being so damn suspicious of people.

BIG H2001

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »
You two should meet up if you both end up at Boalt.

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »
some people are going to hold on to their faulty logic even while understanding how logic works......there are a lot more Jen..whatever the names out there - thats why it doesn't make sense to try to rationalize with them - they are set in their beliefs.

I know going to law school there are going to be a lot of people who are going to think you are not as smart based on standarized test, or written test , writing paper, or just plain ole intellectual capacity - it all comes down to the fact they dont think you belong there and the only thing you can do is ignore them and kick some gpa a** and have a great time doing it.  Jennaye just proves their are white canditates getting in with lower marks, they of course have the fortune of going under cover unlike URM's.
Fordham Law 2008