Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Jennaye apologize for her pre-acceptance comments about low-LSAT acceptances and URM status?

Yes
 19 (48.7%)
No
 20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)  (Read 7394 times)

lil_token

Re: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »
To be fair, I think Jenn was just wondering if the only people getting accepted with below 25th% numbers were there because of AA. But I didn't feel like reading through the entire thread, so I might have missed something.

Although I see the irony in it, I am reminded of the bashing that Lexy got over her S and Y admittance. It seemed like they couldn't bring out excuses quick enough to explain away her acceptances. 

Mari, I respect your desire to be fair and admit that I strive to that end as well, however, Jennaye said in her pre-Boalt posts that she believed that URM status accounted for low-LSAT acceptances and she reiterated that presumption later in the Boalt thread.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
No surprise, no surprise.  We've been hearing these sentiments for years now.  An alarming number of white students (and black students) feel that blacks ONLY get in b/c of AA while every white student deserves to be there.

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as an AA JD or an AA Bar Passage.  When we get into the real world and those same minorities like Johnnie Cochran, Charlas Hamilton Houston and Thurgood Marshall are grinding their oponents' legal arguments to dust then you tell me who deserved that seat in law school.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 06:39:26 PM »
It's obvious Non-Urm's get into schools with low LSATs just by looking at the amount of while lawyers there are.  If all sub 25 percentile people were URM's we'd have a hell of a lot more attorneys than we do now.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

NickyFitt

• 166/3.97 ---and charming!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NickyFitt
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - NickyFitt
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 06:47:10 PM »
If you think that the LSD thread was bad, I followed the link to xoxo's discussion board, where after flaming Jennaye, they say some atrocious stuff about AA. 

I can't believe that these are the entitled a-holes we have to go to law school with.  If these are America's future lawyers, I seriously fear for the future of affirmative action.
Loves me: Fordham, Hastings, Northeastern (7k),U of Minnesota, USC (8k), Washington & Lee, William & Mary (14k)
Loves me not: Boalt
UR such a tease! (waitlist): Columbia, NYU, Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=abigailallen

maricutie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »
Mari, I respect your desire to be fair and admit that I strive to that end as well, however, Jennaye said in her pre-Boalt posts that she believed that URM status accounted for low-LSAT acceptances and she reiterated that presumption later in the Boalt thread.

Yeah, that may have been the part that I skipped over. However, I did read Jenn's post after having read the xoxo one first, so maybe it was all a matter of relative perspective ... I'm seconding Nicky's comments here!

lil_token

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
If you think that the LSD thread was bad, I followed the link to xoxo's discussion board, where after flaming Jennaye, they say some atrocious stuff about AA. 

I can't believe that these are the entitled a-holes we have to go to law school with.  If these are America's future lawyers, I seriously fear for the future of affirmative action.

I agree, what they said about her and AA was uncalled-for, however, her behavior on that thread wasn't exactly the best exemplar of humility.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
The Jen girl is getting trashed in the xoxo thread. Why is there so much animosity towards Boalt?

lil_token

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 07:31:52 PM »
The Jen girl is getting trashed in the xoxo thread. Why is there so much animosity towards Boalt?

She kind of brought it on herself with quotes like these:

"AHAHAH.. the fac that you TTT douchebags are all so freaked out about this shows your insecurities.

I will end up in the top 5% of my class, just as I did in undergraduate (despite a mediocre SAT score).

xoxo, hth"

AND:

"face it boys, I have intelligence, money, looks, and now an acceptance to a T14 law school. What's wrong with your self esteem that makes it so difficult for you to accept that?"

Regal_Muse

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »
Wow, I lost all sympathy for homechick.  ???

Actually I never had any for her.

maricutie

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 07:37:52 PM »

She kind of brought it on herself with quotes like these:

"AHAHAH.. the fac that you third tier toilet douchebags are all so freaked out about this shows your insecurities.

I will end up in the top 5% of my class, just as I did in undergraduate (despite a mediocre SAT score).

xoxo, hth"

AND:

"face it boys, I have intelligence, money, looks, and now an acceptance to a T14 law school. What's wrong with your self esteem that makes it so difficult for you to accept that?"

I'm being devil's advocate here again, but those xoxo-ers really make one very angry. No excuse for comments like that, but I can see how the lack of a few seconds of foresight in the heat of anger can come off looking like arrogance. To xoxo, of course, this only becomes fuel for the fire ...