Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Jennaye apologize for her pre-acceptance comments about low-LSAT acceptances and URM status?

Yes
 19 (48.7%)
No
 20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)  (Read 7415 times)

lil_token

Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »
I was reading back through the "Not a hoax: got into Boalt with a 160" thread and something struck me.  Hard!

Why is that when a white woman gets in with a lower LSAT everyone on the board is supportive and congratualtory, but when SWB got in with a better GPA, from a better undergrad, everyone wanted her to justify her acceptance?

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Who else finds this situation ironic? (SWB vs. Jennaye)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 04:12:43 PM »
yep. i was thinking the same thing.  is there no civility left?

and i thought the irony of the situation was awfully thick.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »
Frankly, I didnt understand the surprise on SWB's part, she had higher numbers than RuskieGirl. As for the issue at hand, who wasnt supportive of SWB? I dont read LSD threads like that to know. I just check out the BLSDB and General board and then I enjoy a Banana Nutriment.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »
WHy is this posted on the BLSD? Shouldn't this be on the general board? I find the situation ironic b/c the proves that Non URM get into top schools with lower stats as well.

lil_token

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »
WHy is this posted on the BLSD? Shouldn't this be on the general board? I find the situation ironic b/c the proves that Non URM get into top schools with lower stats as well.
Exactly!

TomServo

• Sr. Citizen
  • We are our own photographer!
    • ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TomServo
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »
I think it's a massive generalization to claim that everyone wanted her (SWB) to justify her acceptance.  While there are bound to be people frustrated by the nature of the acceptance process, why drag us all down the "potential racist" path? 

Fact is, everyone here recognizes the power of the fairly arbitrary LSAT (As applies to potential performance in LS) to gain us admission into the better schools.  Those who are aware of this power, but still underperform, are opening themselves up to criticism, regardless of race or sex.  It takes all kinds to fill a law school, especially if you want to have an interesting educational experience. 

(Except quiet, bookish types who bring no perspective or discussion to class.  I hate those types.)

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 04:36:20 PM »
Who is this Jennaye person?

lil_token

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »
I think it's a massive generalization to claim that everyone wanted her (SWB) to justify her acceptance.  While there are bound to be people frustrated by the nature of the acceptance process, why drag us all down the "potential racist" path? 

Fact is, everyone here recognizes the power of the fairly arbitrary LSAT (As applies to potential performance in LS) to gain us admission into the better schools.  Those who are aware of this power, but still underperform, are opening themselves up to criticism, regardless of race or sex.  It takes all kinds to fill a law school, especially if you want to have an interesting educational experience. 

(Except quiet, bookish types who bring no perspective or discussion to class.  I hate those types.)

I apologize for my use of imprecise language, but my point is still valid.  If you look at the thread where SWB posted her acceptence, there was much more demand for validation than a presense of congratulatory spirit.  Whereas, Jennaye's thread, excepting the criticism SWB and I made regarding some of Jennaye's earlier posts, is much more supportive and congratulatory.  What baffles me even more about that is the fact that SWB was much more humble about her acceptance and still had to suffer through senseless flaming.

lil_token

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:47:40 PM »
Who is this Jennaye person?

A white woman who, prior to getting accepted to Boalt with a 160/3.7, made statements to the effect that the only way low-LSAT applicants get into top schools is through AA.

maricutie

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 05:54:31 PM »
To be fair, I think Jenn was just wondering if the only people getting accepted with below 25th% numbers were there because of AA. But I didn't feel like reading through the entire thread, so I might have missed something.

Although I see the irony in it, I am reminded of the bashing that Lexy got over her S and Y admittance. It seemed like they couldn't bring out excuses quick enough to explain away her acceptances.