Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part time LSD  (Read 2380 times)

katesq

• View Profile
Part time LSD
« on: March 03, 2005, 03:22:14 PM »
I would love to see an LSD discussion about part time law school attendance. I have lots of questions about law review, summer employment, class rank and generally what it's like to manage working ft with pt attendance.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Part time LSD
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »
I second that notion.  I posted something like this asking that a PT forum be created.  I think its an excellent idea.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:13:36 PM »
Perhaps this would be better on the Students board?

Where do you envision this section?  And why should the topic have it's own section?  (Not trying to be challenging here, but there are so many requests for new boards and we can't just keep expanding.  Also, I only make sections, not discussions.  Usually I like to see that the discussion is there before I create a new section for it.)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
In response to why I think it should have its own section:  B/c there are TONS of resources out there for FT students but nothing really for PT.  The fact is, the PT experience is completely different.  It is just a suggestion.  I mean, hell, once I start in august I probably won't be on here much, but I still think ppl. could benefit.
Attending GW in Fall '06

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 07:28:53 PM »
I would recommend against PT if you can avoid it.  At 35 I'm considering leaving a good career of 14 years because I found out the hard way that PT law school sucks.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:30:36 PM »
I swear ppl. on this site just like to ruin ppl's plans.  Buddha, I have a handful of friends in PT programs and all have landed decent summer gigs.  Also, plenty of good lawyers come out of PT programs as well as judges etc.....  I work for the government and my agency will walk me into a rather nice job when I graduate if I stick with them, not to mention pay for a large quantity of my education. 
Attending GW in Fall '06

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »
I swear ppl. on this site just like to ruin ppl's plans.  Buddha, I have a handful of friends in PT programs and all have landed decent summer gigs.  Also, plenty of good lawyers come out of PT programs as well as judges etc.....  I work for the government and my agency will walk me into a rather nice job when I graduate if I stick with them, not to mention pay for a large quantity of my education. 

Please believe me I have no desire to ruin anyone's plans and I know people who have done very well coming out of GSU's PT program, including landing a job at Atlanta's biggest firm.  But from my personal experience PT study of law is just not as rewarding as full-time course work.  Of course I'm a law geek.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 07:45:01 PM »
Well first off, GSU and GW are world's apart in the system.  Second of all, a PT program is only one less class per semester.  So to each his own, but don't knock other ppl's plans.  Especially considering my PT GW degree will go much further than a Tier 2 or 3 FT degree.......
Attending GW in Fall '06

foxnewssucks

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 07:47:07 PM »
i think you are misunderstanding what buddha is saying. i think he is trying to point out that it is hard to juggle a FT job and PT LS, also, he wants to devote all his time to studying and not working some 9-5. he is not saying that the people will not get a decent job, etc.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 07:50:41 PM »
Agreed GSU & GW are worlds apart but I still believe that the full time study of law gives students the greatest opportunity for the intellectual exploration of the law.  But perhaps I’m biased I’ve worked at least 40 hours a week since I was sixteen so the idea of being able to do nothing but study the law is especially appealing.