Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WTF?!? Denied at WNEC!  (Read 3301 times)

ccorsi

Re: WTF?!? Denied at WNEC!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 05:37:25 PM »
I read in a thread once that NYU pioneered the practice.  However, that was in a thread - hardly gospel.

C2

Trinitygunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »
Applied in October.  2.57/152, lots of WE and EC's

I had a 88% chance according to Chiashu

This is a demoralizing process.  I thought I had this one in the bag.  Going to interview with dean of admissions at Penn State (WL there) next week.  If I can't schmooze her its looking bad for next year for me.

of those remaining:

W & L -- no chance, applied b/c of fee waiver
Roger Williams -- have heard too many bad things about / bad bar passage
NESL -- a chance, will think about being 6th in Boston job market
Albany -- I like but a long shot
West Virginia -- I like but a long shot

do what i plan on doing to the schools the reject me...after making a ton of money, send them a copy of the donation check you send to the school you end up going to. make them feel sorry.

Wherever you plan on going...good luck. :-)
final product...pending approval: 94 pages

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 11:29:34 AM »
It's just awful.  Mind-boggling actually.  What schools are famous for doing this?  Has anyone had a specific experience like Quaker Oats?  Encouraged to apply to a school where they are sure to be rejected?

I haven't had that specific experience but if you're looking at law schools cynically trying to lower their acceptance rates, I'd consider GMU. That's a school looking to do anything to boost its ranking. I know they extended their application deadline in March (when they most likely didn't have any more spots available anyway), and they spend some time bragging about their low acceptance rate on their web site. I have nothing against GMU but what they're up to seems pretty transparent.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 11:32:10 AM »
Its free for anyone to apply to Washington & Lee. 

The OP probably wasnt sent a fee waiver or anything, they just applied for free.  But still, it stinks for schools to recruit students who have a very low chance of actually being admitted just so they can increase their statistics.

I got a fee waiver from W&L w/a 160. I think almost everyone does. They didn't want me,they just wanted to protect their yield. I decided to use my $12 LSAC report for another school instead.

ilsox7

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »
I got a fee waiver from W&L w/a 160. I think almost everyone does. They didn't want me,they just wanted to protect their yield. I decided to use my $12 LSAC report for another school instead.

SO did I and I am on the WL, so it's not a complete lost cause.

leoladybug

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 03:25:27 PM »
Valpo sent out a zillion fee waivers.  I was put on the WL then rejected.  The rejection letter was interesting because they suggested that I apply to their MBA program or some other grad program.  I guess that was thoughtful of them.   

$12 down the drain but no hard feelings.

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 09:19:06 AM »
It's just awful.  Mind-boggling actually.  What schools are famous for doing this?  Has anyone had a specific experience like Quaker Oats?  Encouraged to apply to a school where they are sure to be rejected?

I haven't had that specific experience but if you're looking at law schools cynically trying to lower their acceptance rates, I'd consider GMU. That's a school looking to do anything to boost its ranking. I know they extended their application deadline in March (when they most likely didn't have any more spots available anyway), and they spend some time bragging about their low acceptance rate on their web site. I have nothing against GMU but what they're up to seems pretty transparent.

I'll second GMU.  They sent me a fee waiver and then dinged me last year. ::)

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 10:02:25 AM »

I'll second GMU.  They sent me a fee waiver and then dinged me last year. ::)

I didn't apply as I had no interest in going there, but I know some 1Ls there who say the administration has a callous attitude toward the student body and is completely obsessed w/ how to get GMU into the top 30. They also don't have good things to say about the student body either...While I'm sure some of it's sour grapes, the school def. doesn't seem to have much of a social environment and seems pretty rankings-driven (maybe even more than most).
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher