Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)  (Read 2033 times)

JNorris

• View Profile
Re: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 10:07:27 PM »
4. Yup, you can be or not be as involved as you want to be. I played intramurals, didn't do any board of barrister sh*t because it is a huge time commitment I didn't feel like dealing with.

How much time does BOB take up...and do you have to commit to it to participate in mock or moot...

Moot court starts when we get back, so I'm not sure... First semester there is only 1 bob event for 1ls... Takes up about 4 hours a night for a week... This semester there seems to be a competition every three weeks taking up about the same amount of time. If you want to be a litigator it's great to do. If you don't want to, I don't see the point considering grades and law review are what employers REALLY care about. However, BOB couldn't hurt.
No, moot court is conducted through bob, but the way bob works is like this. Each semester they have events, moot court being one of the events. In addition, they have client counseling, interview, mock trial, etc... You can just participate in one of the events or all of them if you want. You accumulate points for participation, and the higher you place the more points you get. At some point the people in each class with the most points get invitied to be on the bob... Not sure the exact number the cut off is.

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 10:10:49 PM »
"PS: I'm glad Krahmer is cool, he sounded like a neat guy from other peoples impressions and I'm sure I'll see a lot of him if I get on the Texas Bank Lawyer, I'm praying to be in his section for Contracts!"

Actually, they just released the new schedule for fall 2005. If you want Kramer for contracts, cross your fingers for section 1.

http://www.law.ttu.edu/lawsite/current/assets/pdffiles/Fall%202005%20Class%20Schedule.pdf

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2005, 06:51:38 AM »
"PS: I'm glad Krahmer is cool, he sounded like a neat guy from other peoples impressions and I'm sure I'll see a lot of him if I get on the Texas Bank Lawyer, I'm praying to be in his section for Contracts!"

Actually, they just released the new schedule for fall 2005. If you want Kramer for contracts, cross your fingers for section 1.

http://www.law.ttu.edu/lawsite/current/assets/pdffiles/Fall%202005%20Class%20Schedule.pdf

You have any experience with any of the other profs that will be in section 1 next semester? Looks like I'm going to have to start paying off the scheduling people to see if I can't get placed into section 1 HAHA!

I will be married in July so as far as clerkships and 1L jobs, they will have to be in the Lubbock area. I don't have the freedom that some people do to go to DFW or a bigger city over the summer because my wife will be working full time to support us. That being said, any idea of how many and how competitive clerkships and 1L jobs are in the Lubbock area? I wouldn't mind being a research assistant, but the impression I got from a lot of Texas schools is that 1L jobs are more competitive in the larger cities like DFW, Houston, etcetera mainly because people want to get out the area for the summer. You impressions if you have any would be much appreciated. I know I'm asking a lot of off-the-wall questions, but these are the ones its hard to find answers to. Thanks again!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!