Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)  (Read 2005 times)

texas1

Re: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 07:14:59 PM »
One last thing, as far as faculty goes, I beleive you sat in on Lewis's criminal law class at 10:30, he is as cool as professors get. Most are not like him at all.

Yup, that was the class. Really enjoyed his approach, it is a shame that he is not typical...

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 11:51:17 PM »
Too cool, I'll post some more questions later, but its late and I'm beat!

But one question for right now, have you had Krahmer yet? How is he if so? I know he's the advisor for the Texas Bank Lawyer publication that I'd like to get involved with and I wondered how his teaching method is etc. Thanks a lot and I'll have more questions for ya later!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 12:18:37 AM »
Too cool, I'll post some more questions later, but its late and I'm beat!

But one question for right now, have you had Krahmer yet? How is he if so? I know he's the advisor for the Texas Bank Lawyer publication that I'd like to get involved with and I wondered how his teaching method is etc. Thanks a lot and I'll have more questions for ya later!

Damn dude, you are excited about ttu law... You already worried about profs. Yeah I had Krahmer for contracts during first semester. He was cool as *&^%, by far everyone in my sections fav prof. first semester. He is kind of old school, but only calls on each person once per semester... However, when your up, he will drill your ass... He really is a great guy...

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 12:22:04 AM »
One last thing, as far as faculty goes, I beleive you sat in on Lewis's criminal law class at 10:30, he is as cool as professors get. Most are not like him at all.

Yup, that was the class. Really enjoyed his approach, it is a shame that he is not typical...

Don't get my wrong, alot of the profs are really good at what they do... But the law is often dry and it is next to impossible to make it interesting... Crim law is not a typical class, it's one of the few where the reading is exciting. Lewis is the only prof. I've had that uses power point and he's the only one I've had that you don't really have to read for class... He basically gives you everything and his in class questions are so superficial than anyone with common sense could answer them... Again, alot of this has to do with the subject, but he is an awesome professor, former jag guy...

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »
About the school, it's laid back as hell. There are a couple hardcore professors that do it old school, but class participation matters ZERO, so don't worry about that.

Sounding good.......

You will have plenty of time to go catch sporitng events. I would say the average student puts in 2-3 hours outside of class a day, alot more come exam time.

even better.......

By the way, if you're a guy, all the undergrad chicks are a huge plus. The law school card gets you some easy skirt...

And it's official........JNorris has made my day.....  ;D

Unlike some of the other guys, placement really doesnt matter much to me as I'll be the Army's beeeeeeeyatch after I graduate regardless (already contracted and soon to be commissioned; so it's low paying work for me whether I want to or not), so I'm mainly looking at the quality of life factors when making a decision. From the sounds of it, Tech does very well in this regard. I know Texas1 is looking heavily upon career prospects when making his decision however......

A few random questions though:

1. Along those lines and just out of curiosity, where do those in the bottom part of the class at Tech usually end up? El Paso I would imagine....

2. While obviously entrenched well below UH, BU, and SMU right now, does it at least seem like the law school is slowly moving in the right direction?

3. In a general sense, do most of the kids at Tech seem happy to be there?

4. Are there any students at Tech that are so incredibly stupid that you wonder how they even completed their application on their own? (An xoxo type question....)

5. Is Lubbock aight? Where'd you go to undergrad at? Most people who dis Tech on this board focus on how bad Lubbock sucks but the kids I know in school at Tech insist its a great college town (just a little flat and isolated).

6. Any favorite bars or great drink specials in Lubbock I should check out next month for admitted students day?

Yeah, Tech is great for jag...

1. To be honest, I haven't really considered this. I would guess the VERY bottom's prospects are rather bleak... I'm talking public defender bleak... Other than that, the rest of the bottom 50% probably ends up in small-med firms in west texas and dfw... I would venture to guess salary for the bottom of half would be around $55-65,000.

2. Oh yeah, it is moving in the right direction, but it has huge obstacles. It takes a certain type of profesor who is willing to live in Lubbock and settle down out there... That's the main problem is attracting top notch faculty to stay. But overall, the school is def heading in the right direction. I like it alot there, I know my original post came off a little bleak, just wanted y'all to know  Tech isn't UT, but it's still a very good choice.

3. Everyone I know is verry happy with the school. or at least content. Some have problems living in lubbock, but this has nothing to do with the school

4. Without a doubt... I would say at least 25% of them are like this... And on that same note, there isn't really anyone who is incredibly smart either, well at least not in my section... I've never heard anyone in class that I just thought was amazing and earth-shatteringly smart. Regardless, there are some very smart people there.

5.  lubbock sucks man, I must be honest. I went to one of the D1 private schools in dfw, so being either a frog or a pony, I'm a city boy and lubbock is not my cup of tea... The roads suck and are bump as hell, it's dirty, dusty and overall white trash like... But the people are SO nice and the bar scene is pretty damn good, yoou can even hit up an undergrad party everyonce and a while. Plus the cost of living is low. Lubbock is what you make of it, go in with low expectations and you will be fine. All in all, pretty good place to study law for a couple of years.

6. Crickets, the library, rocky larues, bleachers, chimmys are all good... Not sure about specials, just kind of find em when I get there...

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »
Thanks for keepin it real. It sounds like overall the good outweighs the bad....

I know what you mean about being a city boy though, I was born and raised in the Metroplex too so hopefully I don't expect too much out of Lubbock. The good thing for me is I'll be coming from small town Alabama (Auburn) so I would imagine Lubbock would at least be a step up in social offerings from my recent perspective, plus its twice as close to home (Dallas) as I am right now........

Anyway, thanks for the advice, maybe I'll see ya around next year (I'll be the guy with about a dozen different Auburn t-shirts).......

P.S. One last thing.......do you know if the new addition is gonna have any more of those sweet carrels/student offices? That mighta been the coolest thing I saw at Tech as compared to the other school's crappy cubicle-ish desks. It sucks three students haveta share each one though, and I've heard next years class is gonna get even bigger........  ::)
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2005, 12:14:29 PM »
Thanks for keepin it real. It sounds like overall the good outweighs the bad....

I know what you mean about being a city boy though, I was born and raised in the Metroplex too so hopefully I don't expect too much out of Lubbock. The good thing for me is I'll be coming from small town Alabama (Auburn) so I would imagine Lubbock would at least be a step up in social offerings from my recent perspective, plus its twice as close to home (Dallas) as I am right now........

Anyway, thanks for the advice, maybe I'll see ya around next year (I'll be the guy with about a dozen different Auburn t-shirts).......

P.S. One last thing.......do you know if the new addition is gonna have any more of those sweet carrels/student offices? That mighta been the coolest thing I saw at Tech as compared to the other school's crappy cubicle-ish desks. It sucks three students haveta share each one though, and I've heard next years class is gonna get even bigger........  ::)

I think there are four people in my carrel... Not sure though because I haven't stepped foot in mine since the first day of classes. I'm a home studier... Anyways, I don't beleive they are adding more of them in the new additions... However, if you really want your own, I suggest you take control of yours right away and then people will slowly just give up on using it and eventually it will be all yours. Plus, I beleive 2 and 3ls only share with other person, so just find someone in your class who is like me and never uses them.

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 06:23:44 PM »
OK now I have time for more questions so bear with me:

1) Do you know any 1L's on the texas bank lawyer publication? Is it hard to get on?

2) Is it easy to get to know the faculty and form a good relationship with them?

3) Are there bike racks or somewhere I can lock up my road bike when I ride to class? I forgot to look while I was there!

4) Are a lot of the students involved in extra curiculars? Frats, board of barristers, student organizations, intermural sports teams?

5) Do a lot of people work in study groups and share class notes and outlines in the same section?

6) Are there any good apartment complexes you know of that the law students tend to go to?

7) Is the mexican summer law institute program really seem as cool as it sounds? Have you heard anyone's opinion that has went on it?

Thanks for answering all this stuff, I really appreciate your candid answers to these questions we have. I, like you, was accepted to SMU, but in truth I chose Texas Tech because of a substantial scholarship compared to nothing at SMU because I don't desire to go into Big Law as much as I'd like to do a joint JD / MBA and work at a mid-sized firm or work in the private sector at a corporation or a bank. Texas Tech's American and Texas Bank Lawyer publications are one of the most compelling reasons i'd like to go there b/c I have a Finance and Economics degree with a concentration in financial institutions. Texas Tech really does sound like a good fit for me. I'm no gunner and it sounds like you don't have many gunners there at all.

Now if I could just get TTU Law to ship me a Texas Tech Law School T-shirt I'd be in heaven!

PS: I'm glad Krahmer is cool, he sounded like a neat guy from other peoples impressions and I'm sure I'll see a lot of him if I get on the Texas Bank Lawyer, I'm praying to be in his section for Contracts!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2005, 06:54:11 PM »
OK now I have time for more questions so bear with me:

1) Do you know any 1L's on the texas bank lawyer publication? Is it hard to get on?

2) Is it easy to get to know the faculty and form a good relationship with them?

3) Are there bike racks or somewhere I can lock up my road bike when I ride to class? I forgot to look while I was there!

4) Are a lot of the students involved in extra curiculars? Frats, board of barristers, student organizations, intermural sports teams?

5) Do a lot of people work in study groups and share class notes and outlines in the same section?

6) Are there any good apartment complexes you know of that the law students tend to go to?

7) Is the mexican summer law institute program really seem as cool as it sounds? Have you heard anyone's opinion that has went on it?

Thanks for answering all this stuff, I really appreciate your candid answers to these questions we have. I, like you, was accepted to SMU, but in truth I chose Texas Tech because of a substantial scholarship compared to nothing at SMU because I don't desire to go into Big Law as much as I'd like to do a joint JD / MBA and work at a mid-sized firm or work in the private sector at a corporation or a bank. Texas Tech's American and Texas Bank Lawyer publications are one of the most compelling reasons i'd like to go there b/c I have a Finance and Economics degree with a concentration in financial institutions. Texas Tech really does sound like a good fit for me. I'm no gunner and it sounds like you don't have many gunners there at all.

Now if I could just get TTU Law to ship me a Texas Tech Law School T-shirt I'd be in heaven!

PS: I'm glad Krahmer is cool, he sounded like a neat guy from other peoples impressions and I'm sure I'll see a lot of him if I get on the Texas Bank Lawyer, I'm praying to be in his section for Contracts!

1. To be honest, I have no clue
2. Depends on the faculty, but on the average I would say yes.
3. Road bike? Not sure if this is just a normal bike, if it is yes, there are racks. If it's a motorcycle, they have two-wheeled parking
4. Yup, you can be or not be as involved as you want to be. I played intramurals, didn't do any board of barrister *&^% because it is a huge time commitment I didn't feel like dealing with.
5. Everyone will share, no problem there, if someone doesn't... they will not be looked kindly upon. Yeah, alot of people do study groups, I don't.
6. Not really, we kind live all over the place... Find one close to campus if you can. Finding a nice and cheap place to live in lubbock is easy
7. No I haven't, though it does seem cool, but honestly I wouls advise against summer school. You need to get some real legal experience 1l summer so you have a good shot at 2l OCI. I would work hard to land a 1l job or clerkship. At the very least a become a prof's research assisntant/

texas1

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »
4. Yup, you can be or not be as involved as you want to be. I played intramurals, didn't do any board of barrister sh*t because it is a huge time commitment I didn't feel like dealing with.

How much time does BOB take up...and do you have to commit to it to participate in mock or moot...