Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)  (Read 2045 times)

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »
Hey Tex, is the Defense Language Istitute the school out in Monterrey CA? How hard is it to get assigned/go to school out there? I'd be curious to know if they sent JAG's out there, I wouldn't mind learning Turkish or Arabic and living in Monterrey for a year or so....  8)
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

texas1

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »
Hey Tex, is the Defense Language Istitute the school out in Monterrey CA? How hard is it to get assigned/go to school out there? I'd be curious to know if they sent JAG's out there, I wouldn't mind learning Turkish or Arabic and living in Monterrey for a year or so....  8)

It was there when I attended (back in 93-94). Yeah it was tough being able to see the ocean from my barracks window  :P .

I doubt they would send a JAG there, it is most often assigned to special operation groups like SF, Seals, and such...or to linguists who are potential translaters etc. So they probably wouldn't spend the money training a lawyer, unless you end up doing "other" work for the govt. In that case you might learn a language and then be assigned as a JAG or diplomatic assistant to an overseas location. But to be honest that's just pure speculation on my part.

If it is an option for you I would highly recommend it. The location is great!

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 09:12:36 PM »
Cool......yeah, I can imagine how horrible living in Monterrey must have been....

If I can find me some loophole to head out there, you can rest assured I'm gonna be all over it, free education sounds pretty good to me......

I'd love to work for the State Dept. or something after getting outa the Army, so maybe I'll just haveta hold off on that plan for a while......

texas1

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 11:21:56 AM »
Who knows...maybe with the new Military Law center at TT and a healthy dose of international law classes you could manuever yourself into a strong position to do both. I guess the form JAG profs at TT would know a lot more about possible career options at that level...

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 12:14:01 AM »
Texas1, good write-up! I've never been to Lubbock, but your description read as if I were there!
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 08:40:27 AM »
Good write-up Tex,

I'll agree with everything you said, its a nice campus in a nice area. Lubbock isn't at all as bad as people make it out to be! Hope you give it some serious thought, I talked with a lawyer in texas the other day and he found out I was going to texas tech, he gave me his card and told me to give him a call when i graduate. He was a senior partner at a mid-size corp/tax firm in Brownsville/Mcallen area. It's at least good to know that all the way down there tech is still highly regarded!

Keep us updated on your decision!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »
Now the visit as a whole:

It was just under a 5 hour drive from Fort Worth...so not that bad, plus unlike the drive from DFW to San Antonio, there was no traffic so it was really stress free driving.

My motel was just off of I27 about 3 exits south of 19th st (the street TT is off of) so I never saw that much of the city. I just checked in to my room, drove up to the campus to find the law school (so I wouldn't be looking for it in the morning) and then came back to my room for the evening. So I can't give a proper review of the city other than to say I didn't really smell any funky livestock smells while I was there (though I did drive past a compost factory on the way out of town). But then I don't really mind the livestock smell that much (unless it is sheep or chickens)

TT is about 2-3 miles west of I27 on 19th street (for those who haven't been) The depot district (with all the bars and hangouts) is right at the corner of I27 and 19th, so it is very close to campus. (Note: I had to leave early due to family situation, so I was unable to have that beer  :-\ )

19th street itself is like any busy street in an older part of town. It is littered with small businesses and fast food shops, but traffic moves fairly quickly. The law school itself is located right off of 19th street, so you don't have to fight any campus traffic to get to the LS parking lot. The lot seemed to have plenty of room, but I heard that next year's class is expected to be over 300 students, so things might be getting a bit more crowded.

I sat in on a criminal law class, and as others have said before about their visits, I was able to follow along even though I had not prepared for class, and if called on I could have answered many of the profs questions. The prof was very relaxed with his class (and they with he) and there were several humorous moments of laughter throughout. He was clear throughout the lesson to point out "you will see this on the final" or "this doesn't need to be included in your outline".

I happened to sit next to his TA, who was also the 3L class president. He said that not all profs are that forthcoming with such info. The TA was from austin but came to TT for 1) cost of living, and 2) because the three lawyers who wrote LOR's for him told him to go to TT instead of UT, even though they were UT grads themselves. We talked about Law Review, and he mentioned that though he chose not to do that, he did research assisting for 2 different profs, and was still able to get good research/writing experiemce, and has landed a 2 year clerkship with a federal judge.

Then my official tour began with the president of the Student Bar Association. Most dissapointing aspect of the tour was seeing the wonderful carrels in the library, and then finding out that you acutally share those offices with 3 other students. (3L's apparently get their own but not 1,2Ls). And even that might change now that the incoming classes are growing larger. However my guide said that most of the time there is no one in the carrel, and that at most 1 other person may be in there at the same time, but that it has only happened to him once or twice.

I met the editor of the law review and another law review member who was a friend of my guide. Both seemed very down to earth and relaxed...in fact everyone was like that. Everyone seemed happy and relaxed, and glad that they were at TT. Of course everyone I met was near the top of there class, so I'm sure that this breeds happiness.

Another selling point of TT was that Board of Barristers allows 1Ls to compete. That is one of the reasons TT does well in competition as other schools restrict participation to 2and3Ls.

There was no firm date on the new building, but the main highlights of it were a new courtroom (with upgrades to allow for more scientific evidence to be presented), and a larger classroom. Don't know what else will be involved. My guide said that it may be ready for current 1L's to use by their 3rd year and should be ready for our 2L year...but having been in the construction industry, I know that timelines are not always kept...so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Now back to the location for a minute. The LS is on a remote corner of the campus which is good for access, but you don't have that "college feel" to it. You are not far from the rec center and other buildings, but you don't have that constant flow of people walking by. Also you are quite a ways away from any of the on-campus fast food and such, but again you are right on 19th street so you don't have to drive far to get lunch. I guess what I'm saying is it will have a very commuter feel to it.

This is my first visit so I don't know how to compare it to anything else yet. The rec center feels huge when you walk in as it is 3 stories tall, and has 4 or 5 basketball courts and a climbing wall open on one side and fitness rooms on the other. But once you actually get to the weight rooms and cardio equip, you will find that it does not offer more than a 24hour fitness type gym. However there was an indoor pool so you can swim yearround.

That's about all I've got.

You sat in on my class. Trust me that prof is not typical... Most are most harder and much more boring.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 12:32:06 AM »

You sat in on my class. Trust me that prof is not typical... Most are most harder and much more boring.

If you're a student there already can you give us a good description of what the school is like overall?

Like it/dislike it? Any general tips or study advice? Good places to start the apartment search? Time for fball watching? Know a timeline for the building expansion? etc.....

JNorris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 04:18:35 PM »

If you're a student there already can you give us a good description of what the school is like overall?

Like it/dislike it? Any general tips or study advice? Good places to start the apartment search? Time for fball watching? Know a timeline for the building expansion? etc.....

First off, I turned down smu because of a nearly fullride at ttu. If I could do it over again, I would be at SMU. The career services at ttu suck.Regardless of what you hear, outside the top 1/4, the placement is not that great in dfw. That being said, If you are in the top %25, you will be fine. I luckily made what should put me in the top 25%, but alot of my fellow classmates are struggling to find any 1l employment outside the top 1/4.
About the school, it's laid back as hell. There are a couple hardcore professors that do it old school, but class participation matters ZERO, so don't worry about that. I am a 1L and I don't beleive the new courtroom and etc. will be completed before I graduate, but I'm not sure.
Most of the people that go there are very chill and the place is not at all competitive. You will have plenty of time to go catch sporitng events. I would say the average student puts in 2-3 hours outside of class a day, alot more come exam time. Anyways, it's a good school, but don't fool yourself about it being better than it is. I am an xoxohth.com regular, so I may be a little jaded, anyways let me know if there is anything more specific I can help you with. I'll answer honestly without the red and black spin. By the way, if you're a guy, all the undergrad chicks are a huge plus. The law school card gets you some easy skirt... One last thing, as far as faculty goes, I beleive you sat in on Lewis's criminal law class at 10:30, he is as cool as professors get. Most are not like him at all.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »
About the school, it's laid back as hell. There are a couple hardcore professors that do it old school, but class participation matters ZERO, so don't worry about that.

Sounding good.......

You will have plenty of time to go catch sporitng events. I would say the average student puts in 2-3 hours outside of class a day, alot more come exam time.

even better.......

By the way, if you're a guy, all the undergrad chicks are a huge plus. The law school card gets you some easy skirt...

And it's official........JNorris has made my day.....  ;D

Unlike some of the other guys, placement really doesnt matter much to me as I'll be the Army's beeeeeeeyatch after I graduate regardless (already contracted and soon to be commissioned; so it's low paying work for me whether I want to or not), so I'm mainly looking at the quality of life factors when making a decision. From the sounds of it, Tech does very well in this regard. I know Texas1 is looking heavily upon career prospects when making his decision however......

A few random questions though:

1. Along those lines and just out of curiosity, where do those in the bottom part of the class at Tech usually end up? El Paso I would imagine....

2. While obviously entrenched well below UH, BU, and SMU right now, does it at least seem like the law school is slowly moving in the right direction?

3. In a general sense, do most of the kids at Tech seem happy to be there?

4. Are there any students at Tech that are so incredibly stupid that you wonder how they even completed their application on their own? (An xoxo type question....)

5. Is Lubbock aight? Where'd you go to undergrad at? Most people who dis Tech on this board focus on how bad Lubbock sucks but the kids I know in school at Tech insist its a great college town (just a little flat and isolated).

6. Any favorite bars or great drink specials in Lubbock I should check out next month for admitted students day?