Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)  (Read 2004 times)

texas1

Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:05:48 AM »
Anything that I should look out for in particular either on or off campus?

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Visiting Texas Tech....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 01:28:50 PM »
Hot blonde undergrad co-eds.....  :o Oh, and see if the chicks actually IN the law school are as cute as the ones in their admissions brochures (it had some babes), I wouldn't mind a little eye candy in class ya know.....

I'd try to stay on the southwest side of town too, that seemed to be the nicer area. Oh, and make sure you check out the Depot District too and report back on the quality of bars there. And if youre a golfer you can scope out the Rawls Course which is right next to campus, supposed to be a nice course. This is vital info....

As far as ON campus there really isnt much close to the law school other than the new arena but the main campus is pretty too, if youre bored and just wanna walk around....

You might ask around at the law school to see if theres a timeline or artists renderings out yet for the new addition, I'd be curious to know when thats gonna start and if we'd be able to use the new facilities by our 3L year...

......and tell them they need some better furniture for the big lounge area in the middle  ;D

Once you get back be sure to give a detailed write up........I'd be curious to know what you thought of everything, or if I missed something......
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 05:18:31 PM »
Ditto on everything TexasTiger14 said. Especially have a beer in the Depot District for me!

And while you're there ask them if I can have a travel stipend to attend admitted students day!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

texas1

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 10:14:56 AM »
Hot blonde undergrad co-eds.....  :o Oh, and see if the chicks actually IN the law school are as cute as the ones in their admissions brochures (it had some babes), I wouldn't mind a little eye candy in class ya know.....

There was plenty to see...at least for us guys.
There were a number of attractive young ladies in the class that I sat in on, and roaming the hallways between classes...and even more at the rec center when I went over at lunchtime to check out the workout equipment.
I think you'll be happy there.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Visiting Texas Tech....(Now I'm back)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:24:41 AM »

There were a number of attractive young ladies in the class that I sat in on, and roaming the hallways between classes...and even more at the rec center when I went over at lunchtime to check out the workout equipment.

Good to know, what did you think of the school itself? You don't seem too enthusiastic.....

be10dwn

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:29:06 AM »

Good to know, what did you think of the school itself? You don't seem too enthusiastic.....

I went to Tech for a while in undergrad and it is DEFINITELY full of hotties.  That's probably why I didn't do so hot, LOL.  Too much partying and chasing tail.

texas1

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 10:45:58 AM »
Now the visit as a whole:

It was just under a 5 hour drive from Fort Worth...so not that bad, plus unlike the drive from DFW to San Antonio, there was no traffic so it was really stress free driving.

My motel was just off of I27 about 3 exits south of 19th st (the street TT is off of) so I never saw that much of the city. I just checked in to my room, drove up to the campus to find the law school (so I wouldn't be looking for it in the morning) and then came back to my room for the evening. So I can't give a proper review of the city other than to say I didn't really smell any funky livestock smells while I was there (though I did drive past a compost factory on the way out of town). But then I don't really mind the livestock smell that much (unless it is sheep or chickens)

TT is about 2-3 miles west of I27 on 19th street (for those who haven't been) The depot district (with all the bars and hangouts) is right at the corner of I27 and 19th, so it is very close to campus. (Note: I had to leave early due to family situation, so I was unable to have that beer  :-\ )

19th street itself is like any busy street in an older part of town. It is littered with small businesses and fast food shops, but traffic moves fairly quickly. The law school itself is located right off of 19th street, so you don't have to fight any campus traffic to get to the LS parking lot. The lot seemed to have plenty of room, but I heard that next year's class is expected to be over 300 students, so things might be getting a bit more crowded.

I sat in on a criminal law class, and as others have said before about their visits, I was able to follow along even though I had not prepared for class, and if called on I could have answered many of the profs questions. The prof was very relaxed with his class (and they with he) and there were several humorous moments of laughter throughout. He was clear throughout the lesson to point out "you will see this on the final" or "this doesn't need to be included in your outline".

I happened to sit next to his TA, who was also the 3L class president. He said that not all profs are that forthcoming with such info. The TA was from austin but came to TT for 1) cost of living, and 2) because the three lawyers who wrote LOR's for him told him to go to TT instead of UT, even though they were UT grads themselves. We talked about Law Review, and he mentioned that though he chose not to do that, he did research assisting for 2 different profs, and was still able to get good research/writing experiemce, and has landed a 2 year clerkship with a federal judge.

Then my official tour began with the president of the Student Bar Association. Most dissapointing aspect of the tour was seeing the wonderful carrels in the library, and then finding out that you acutally share those offices with 3 other students. (3L's apparently get their own but not 1,2Ls). And even that might change now that the incoming classes are growing larger. However my guide said that most of the time there is no one in the carrel, and that at most 1 other person may be in there at the same time, but that it has only happened to him once or twice.

I met the editor of the law review and another law review member who was a friend of my guide. Both seemed very down to earth and relaxed...in fact everyone was like that. Everyone seemed happy and relaxed, and glad that they were at TT. Of course everyone I met was near the top of there class, so I'm sure that this breeds happiness.

Another selling point of TT was that Board of Barristers allows 1Ls to compete. That is one of the reasons TT does well in competition as other schools restrict participation to 2and3Ls.

There was no firm date on the new building, but the main highlights of it were a new courtroom (with upgrades to allow for more scientific evidence to be presented), and a larger classroom. Don't know what else will be involved. My guide said that it may be ready for current 1L's to use by their 3rd year and should be ready for our 2L year...but having been in the construction industry, I know that timelines are not always kept...so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Now back to the location for a minute. The LS is on a remote corner of the campus which is good for access, but you don't have that "college feel" to it. You are not far from the rec center and other buildings, but you don't have that constant flow of people walking by. Also you are quite a ways away from any of the on-campus fast food and such, but again you are right on 19th street so you don't have to drive far to get lunch. I guess what I'm saying is it will have a very commuter feel to it.

This is my first visit so I don't know how to compare it to anything else yet. The rec center feels huge when you walk in as it is 3 stories tall, and has 4 or 5 basketball courts and a climbing wall open on one side and fitness rooms on the other. But once you actually get to the weight rooms and cardio equip, you will find that it does not offer more than a 24hour fitness type gym. However there was an indoor pool so you can swim yearround.

That's about all I've got.

texas1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »

I really enjoyed it, and came away from it thinking I could be really happy here. My only concern is employment afterwards. I have requested info from one of the biglaw firms in TX about what class standing you must attain in different schools to be eligible for employment. Once I have that info I'll allow myself to get more excited about actually attending - that plus an acceptance would be nice before I get my hopes up too much!!!

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »
Wow, good write up......I didn't get a chance to walk around the Rec Center but I'm sure I'll spend quite a bit of time there......

As far as the new addition goes, I'm just hoping next year isn't too noisy; jackhammers during class or study time might get annoying fairly quickly.....

So they're excepting next years class to be around 300? Thats a pretty sharp increase but it seems to fit in with their plan. I dunno If you saw this on my other thread on one of the other boards, but you might be interested in this article Tex.....
http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/04/4227e734b8ea5

I really enjoyed it, and came away from it thinking I could be really happy here. My only concern is employment afterwards. I have requested info from one of the biglaw firms in TX about what class standing you must attain in different schools to be eligible for employment. Once I have that info I'll allow myself to get more excited about actually attending - that plus an acceptance would be nice before I get my hopes up too much!!!

Shouldn't you be shooting for being #1 in the class and not worry about the minimal effort you need to put out to get a decent job?  ;) j/k......but seriously, there's always a job for you in El Paso from what I hear, haha....

texas1

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 11:10:46 AM »

Shouldn't you be shooting for being #1 in the class and not worry about the minimal effort you need to put out to get a decent job?  ;) j/k......but seriously, there's always a job for you in El Paso from what I hear, haha....

I will be shooting for #1...but if the firm tells me they only accept top 5% from TT or st. Mary's, while accepting top 25% from UH and top half from UT, then I might have to think about it some more. If the difference is negligible, then I think I would prefer TT.

And actually I heard them reading over that article in the admin office while I was there, so thanks it helps to have the actual article for context!