Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone heard anything about St. Thomas University School of Law  (Read 1558 times)

NotToBright

• View Profile
    • Email
I am thinking about considereing this school primarily because i did so terribly on my LSATS and my GPA is not that great either.  How difficult is it to transfer to a better school after your first year.  I have also applied to Widener University in Deleware, how good or bad a school is that???  Any help would be much appreciated.  Any suggestions on other law schools I could try?

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone heard anything about St. Thomas University School of Law
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »
I am thinking about considereing this school primarily because i did so terribly on my LSATS and my GPA is not that great either.  How difficult is it to transfer to a better school after your first year.  I have also applied to Widener University in Deleware, how good or bad a school is that???  Any help would be much appreciated.  Any suggestions on other law schools I could try?

I'd suggest that attending a school with the intention of transferring is not a good idea. First, it is hard to get accepted. Second, you have to learn a whole new environment. Now, if you want to attend a school, get great grades, and then decide you have changed your mind about the school after you have attended, then go ahead and attempt a transfer. But, don't attend a school with the intention of transferring.

St Thomas: Pretty school. Great location. Very conservative. Slim alumni base. Lots of
           schools in the area, so lots of competition for jobs.

Widener: It is in Delaware, that is about all I know.

If you wanted to practice in Florida, go to St Thomas. If you wanted to practice in the Mid-Atlantic, go to Widener.

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:38:05 AM »
I went to a St Thomas open house and was pretty impressed with what they had to say (although I know it's all about public relations at those things!).  The new dean is the ex-pres of the ABA and it sounded like they are trying to make their admissions criteria a bit tougher.  The students there also mentioned that their school isn't the cut-throat type where students are out to get one another.

I went to undergrad in Delaware, and Widener seems to have a pretty good rep.  Delaware is big on banking and pharmaceuticals.  Corporate law is big there.  I personally want to go into public interest law, so I'm not too interested in Widener.  The Widener campus isn't the best looking, but it's off of a state road that has nice shops, restaurants, etc (so it's not in unsafe area).  Hope that helps!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 09:43:25 AM »
My main concern about St. Thomas is their low bar passage rate, but other than that, it seems like a great little place. There's another thread on here somewhere (do a search) that compares it with the other FL schools, and another that compares it specifically to FL Coastal.

That's nice to hear about the former ABA prez taking the helm...hopefully it'll help with those bar pass numbers. I'm seriously considering them or FL Coastal if I don't get in here in TX.

the REAL desi

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:47:11 AM »
is this the school in Miami?  if so, my old roommates fiance went there.  after graduating, she had to wait tables to make ends meet, until she finally got an ADA job in broward county.  she liked the school though.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 09:48:11 AM »
is this the school in Miami?  if so, my old roommates fiance went there.  after graduating, she had to wait tables to make ends meet, until she finally got an ADA job in broward county.  she liked the school though.

"My old roommate's fiancee"=extremely credible source

the REAL desi

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:55:47 AM »
yes, especially since i lived with him for two years and met his fiancee probably every two weeks.

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:16:52 PM »
The University of Saint Thomas is in Minnesota. If that's the school you're talking about, I can second the posters that said it's in a great location (the Twin Cities are fun, especially Minneapolis!) and the person who said it's conservative (VERY). As a new law school, I know they've been trying to get accredited by the ABA. Has that happened yet?

The buildings are new, in downtown Minneapolis, and beautiful (at least from the outside).

Good luck!
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 03:18:08 PM »
The University of Saint Thomas is in Minnesota. If that's the school you're talking about, I can second the posters that said it's in a great location (the Twin Cities are fun, especially Minneapolis!) and the person who said it's conservative (VERY). As a new law school, I know they've been trying to get accredited by the ABA. Has that happened yet?

The buildings are new, in downtown Minneapolis, and beautiful (at least from the outside).

Good luck!

I think the OP is talking about St. Thomas University in Miami, FL. A bit confusing...

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »
Oh oops, I just assumed the one in Miami--that is what I was talking about  :)