Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown acceptance for 2006 - how odd  (Read 1243 times)

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Georgetown acceptance for 2006 - how odd
« on: March 03, 2005, 12:13:29 AM »
I received a letter today indicating that I had been accepted to GULC for the fall of 2006, not 2005.  The letter says that I was part of a special group of students that they could only admit for next year.  It suggests that there might be a possibily to be accepted this year, but provides no details as to how or when that might occur.  Ends with a handwritten note that says "hope this works out."

I find it incredibly bizarre.  My numbers are a bit above average for Georgetown: 3.73/(166+171) with strong ec's at HYP and two years work experience on Capitol Hill.  I am really at a loss as to what is going on.  I've already been accepted to several schools that are at least as good as Georgetown (UVA, Boalt, Duke).  But I have an interest in staying in DC, so I'm quite disappointed.

On top of everything else, I have access to the admitted students' web site, with all the info about admitted students events.  Except that I'm not really accepted in the way that everyone else at those events will have been.

Is anyone else in this boat?  Or can at least rationalize this?

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
Re: Georgetown acceptance for 2006 - how odd
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:30:14 AM »
weeeeirddd....did you get your application in late? Was it not complete?

That's the first time I've herd of this happening. Huh.

Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

george of the playground

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:54:50 AM »
I received a letter today indicating that I had been accepted to GULC for the fall of 2006, not 2005.  The letter says that I was part of a special group of students that they could only admit for next year.  It suggests that there might be a possibily to be accepted this year, but provides no details as to how or when that might occur.  Ends with a handwritten note that says "hope this works out."

I find it incredibly bizarre.  My numbers are above average for Georgetown: 3.73/(166+171) with strong ec's at HYP.  I am really at a loss as to what is going on.  I've already been accepted to several schools that are at least as good as Georgetown.  But I have an interest in staying in DC, so I'm quite disappointed.

On top of everything else, I have access to the admitted students' web site, with all the info about admitted students events.  Except that I'm not really accepted in the way that everyone else at those events will have been.

Is anyone else in this boat?  Or can at least rationalize this?

I had the same thing happen to me at Northwestern.  Glad (well, not glad... but you get the idea) that I'm not the only one this has happened to.
4.0/173

in: harvard

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:59:57 AM »
This happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago (NU). He thought it was because NU was overenrolled.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 02:05:53 AM »
i'd call them up/send letter saying you've been accepted to other t-14 schools, but g'town is your #1 choice (if this is really true).  maybe/hopefully they'll put you at the top of the pile so that if spots open up they know you'll take it.

Jennaye

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 02:12:48 AM »
Soon there's going to be a waiting list at all law schools so that applicants have to apply years earlier and get put on a waiting list for a spot....

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 04:12:21 AM »
I dunno...it seems like such a ploy--like something a school would only do if they thought they *were* your first choice. I mean, why offer a spot in the next class for someone on the fence? Hmmm...

Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:19:20 AM »
Hmm. This is strange ... Where you especially eager to start this year, or is that totally out of the question? And isn't UVa close enough to DC?

unclerico

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:25:34 AM »
this is exceedingly weird - the most likely reason would appear to be overenrollment, but given the fact that GULC has extended its application deadline twice in the past month and a half, this in all likelihood is not true.
also, to the OP, no offense, but your numbers are not really above average for GULC. Your GPA is around average for them and your LSAT, when averaged, at 169, is exactly their average. That being said though, having graduated from HYP with those credentials, you are a prime candidate for them and on the surface at least should have gotten in outright. My guess is that this is some bizarre form of yield protection for them. Maybe admitting you for next year's cycle is a loophole in the rules for them to not have to include you any statistics for their USNWR rankings if you choose not enroll. My guess is that if you sent them a letter telling them they were your first choice and that you would definitely enroll this yr if offered the chance, I am pretty positive you could be at GULC this fall if you really desired.

Schmett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 11:21:43 AM »
That's so strange.  Maricutie--UVA isn't that close to DC, it's about a 2.5 hour drive.