Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools pay to fly out?  (Read 871 times)

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Schools pay to fly out?
« on: March 03, 2005, 12:05:38 AM »
Does anyone know how willing schools are to pay for admitted students to fly out? I'm considering visiting USC and UCLA, but I live on the East coast and can't afford to  pay to fly out but if a school paid for it, I would be willing to visit to see how interested I am in the schools? Anyone know how common this is or if schools are willing to do this?

kristay

Re: Schools pay to fly out?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 12:24:36 AM »
I don't know about USC or UCLA, but I was curious about something...

On your LSN account you said that you withdrew from USC?

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:28:34 AM »
tag
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

george of the playground

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 12:50:21 AM »
Does anyone know how willing schools are to pay for admitted students to fly out? I'm considering visiting USC and UCLA, but I live on the East coast and can't afford to  pay to fly out but if a school paid for it, I would be willing to visit to see how interested I am in the schools? Anyone know how common this is or if schools are willing to do this?

UCLA offered me an "all expense paid visit." I'm not sure how common that is, though, so take it for what it's worth.
4.0/173

in: harvard

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:55:53 AM »
I get the feeling that UCLA does that with candidates they feel are at risk for going to higher ranked schools.  Like George for instance, probably will get into many T14s and they need to impress him; hence the all expense paid trip.  I, on the other hand, have not gotten into any T14s yet (although in my own defense, there's really only one T14 I would want to attend).  UCLA knows with my #s that this is probably the case and feels no reason to pay for my trip out there.  They already know I am wetting myself over my acceptance and will most likely attend.  And they are right.    ;D
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 01:40:12 AM »
I have heard that a few people have been offered paid trips by UCLA, nothing to my knowledge from USC.
A few have speculated that the UCLA visits have to do with URM's, the possibility that UCLA is doing it to woo desirable students does seem likely.

It would be cool if they offered me such a trip, though they probably feel that my UG experience has left me with a good enough experience with UCLA/Westwoood. :)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

canadia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 06:32:45 AM »
I think in another strand awhile back, maricutie said that she emailed some law schools, explained her financial situation and reiterated her interest in visiting before making up a decision.  She also provided them with a rough estimate of how much a ticket would cost from where she was flying from - and I think at least a few schools agreed to reimburse her for the expenses. I would contact the adcom directly and see what they say.

hth

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 09:58:53 AM »
What is the deal with this URM business, I finally figured out what URM means, but why should this be an emphasis. Some people that are NOT URM had to struggle more than these people, cause these people are the ones always getting the easy street, and don't say it's not true, sure, some aren't but hey, it's just not fair to give people things based on something they did NOT control, like being URM for crying out loud.

Not to be mean, but I just DON"T understand it is all. Maybe I'm just stupid, who knows?

george of the playground

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »
What is the deal with this URM business, I finally figured out what URM means, but why should this be an emphasis. Some people that are NOT URM had to struggle more than these people, cause these people are the ones always getting the easy street, and don't say it's not true, sure, some aren't but hey, it's just not fair to give people things based on something they did NOT control, like being URM for crying out loud.

Not to be mean, but I just DON"T understand it is all. Maybe I'm just stupid, who knows?

I'm Southeast Asian - to the best of my knowledge, NOT an URM.
4.0/173

in: harvard

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:01:28 PM »
Wow...I completely forgot that I withdrew. I never sent in the financial aid forms so I knew I wouldnt get any aid and withdrew. UCLA is still a possibility though. I had't thought about visiting, but if a school would be willing to fly me out I would go to see how much I like the school.

I don't know about USC or UCLA, but I was curious about something...

On your LSN account you said that you withdrew from USC?