Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with my decision! Colorado or Chicago-Kent  (Read 496 times)

kd

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with my decision! Colorado or Chicago-Kent
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »
I have narrowed my search down to Colorado and Chicago-Kent.  I still haven't heard from Northwestern or Columbia yet, but I am not holding my breath.  The problem I have is that they are very different schools in very diff. atmospheres!

I like CO bc I could go skiing a lot.  It is (barely) in the First Tier and is the best school in CO. Boulder is awesome too...
I don't really know anyone there though and they are building a new school, but right now the building itself kinda sucks.

Chicago-Kent seems to be heading up.  I like the technology bent and I want to go into IP and it's ranked #13 or #12 or something for that.  They also have an awesome new building.  I also have a lot of friends and potential roommates in Chicago, which is a positive and a negative.

So what does everyone think?

Oh yeah  I have a $10K scholarship to Colorado for the first year and I am expecting some serious $$$ from Chicago-Kent.  I am applying to their Honors Scholars Program and I haven't heard if I got an interview yet.

Money might become the deciding factor.
3.8/165

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my decision! Colorado or Chicago-Kent
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
You could've gone to much better schools.  That being said, I got into both, and would only consider Kent if I get the honors scholarship, but I don't think I can turn down Ivy for even a full-ride at Kent.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with my decision! Colorado or Chicago-Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:25:13 PM »
I did not apply to Kent, but Colorado is one of my top choices.

I think CU has a lot of Pros: It is cheap (I got the same scholarship, plus don't forget you will get in-state yrs 2 and 3), Colorado rocks (Denver would be a fun place to practice and Boulder is supposed to be a fun/pretty city) and they have the new law building (don't even think abuot the old one cause you won't ever have to step foot in it...I have heard it is just awful).   Kent is supposed to be a real good school too, but I think CU gives you (a bit) more national flexibility.  Most likely, with a CU degree you will go to Denver and with Kent stay in Chicago, but I think there is a little more movement outside of the homebase area for CU than Kent.  Another thought is that although Chicago is certainly a bigger legal market and can support more lawyers, there is a lot of law schools in Chicago, and some top-notch ones (U of C, Northwestern) while CU is the clear top school in Colorado, so probably holds a lot of pull in the area.  (this is my pure speculation as I am not from around there)   

As to your concern of nto knowing people, I wouldn't worry about it.   Law school is almost like High School with classes under 200.   Even if you don't know anyone when you start (I wouldn't know anyone at any of my top choices) You will get to know everyone really well. 

I am going to visit Boulder in a few weeks and am really looking forward to it.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk