Law School Discussion

case western scholarships

Painting101

• 164/ 3.55
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sgtpeper82
    • View Profile
Re: case western scholarships
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 10:37:06 AM »
I visited case a little over a month ago, and I started to get a feel for their reputation.  It seems to me that their career planning office does an outstanding job.  They just set up annual interview programs in a bunch of major cities (I think LA, NYC, DC, Chicago).  Their starting salaries seem to be very high (if their #'s are true), and the geographic distribution of their graduates seems to be good. 

The only downside of the visit:  it seemed like a lot of people attend Case because it's a safety school, and they didn't get accepted to their first choice.  I'm not real sure why more people don't regard it more highly.  Perhaps because of their low lsat/gpa numbers.

However, it appears that they place graduates in a number of differnt positions, at good salaries, and I LOVED the campus and Cleveland.
... now if they would just tell me I'm accepted...

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 10:52:52 AM »
I visited case a little over a month ago, and I started to get a feel for their reputation.  It seems to me that their career planning office does an outstanding job.  They just set up annual interview programs in a bunch of major cities (I think LA, NYC, DC, Chicago).  Their starting salaries seem to be very high (if their #'s are true), and the geographic distribution of their graduates seems to be good. 

The only downside of the visit:  it seemed like a lot of people attend Case because it's a safety school, and they didn't get accepted to their first choice.  I'm not real sure why more people don't regard it more highly.  Perhaps because of their low lsat/gpa numbers.

However, it appears that they place graduates in a number of differnt positions, at good salaries, and I LOVED the campus and Cleveland.
... now if they would just tell me I'm accepted...

Do you think Case is in the same category as some of the other schools you've already been accepted to (e.g., Emory, Univ of Georgia, etc.)?

Painting101

• 164/ 3.55
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 10:57:40 AM »
If Emory, UGA and Case would all cost the same, I would choose Emory, then UGA.  Simply because of their name recognition.  However, I don't think Case is that far off.  I work for a firm now with 27 attorneys, and they all think Case is a great school.  I think the key is Case's ability to get you a "good" job right after graduation.  Three years after you graduate, it won't matter where you went, anyway.

I'm just waiting to hear about scholarships, because I'm not a big fan of debt.  There's something to be said about having the flexibility of being $50,000 in debt as opposed to $150,000 when you graduate.  That's just my 2 cents.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »
Anyone heard anything on Case scholarship yet?

Painting101

• 164/ 3.55
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 07:53:31 AM »
I still haven't gotten an acceptance, and they've had my app since dec 10th.  this is ridiculous.

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 07:16:20 PM »
I got email notification of a scholarship today, which will cover about half of tuition.    I think it may still be too much for me, since with living expenses it will be about 30k. I don't have a cosigner available, so it may be Wayne State for me.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 07:21:38 PM »
I got email notification of a scholarship today, which will cover about half of tuition.    I think it may still be too much for me, since with living expenses it will be about 30k. I don't have a cosigner available, so it may be Wayne State for me.

I hear you loud and clear.  I still haven't heard about a scholarship and I just go accepted to SLU's full-time and part-time program with a considerable scholarship for both programs.  I'm seriously considering keeping my day job and taking the money for the part time program.  With summer enrollment, I could still finish in three years, but I'm not sure about career prospects coming out of SLU instead of Case.

CB05

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 07:29:41 PM »
I also received an e-mail today from Case saying that I had been awarded a "Distinguished Scholarship Award".  Also said a letter would be on the way regarding the scholarship.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »
It would be great if you could turn it down so that I can get it instead.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 11:36:03 PM »
It would be great if you could turn it down so that I can get it instead.

Does anyone know if that's how the $ works?  They give people with high numbers big money in an effort to woo them, but if scholarship recipients go elsewhere, what happens to that $?  Is it redistributed to the other admits?