Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone accepted and considering Hamline?  (Read 3241 times)

Eyes of the World

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone accepted and considering Hamline?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2005, 09:56:46 AM »
good decision. you will like minnesota. it was 81 degrees yesterday. the winters are not that bad, it's more hype than anything. just be ready for 4 definitive seasons, that's all.

Hey All,

Thanks for the awesome replies. I've sent in my seat deposit and am getting geared up for MN. I'll be basking in CA for the summer. Seattle to Cally and then back again all the way to St Paul.

Congratulations to all of you who have gotten in somewhere.
Blessings on your journey if you are still waiting. If you want it bad enough, you'll get there.
You hit what you head for.

I look forward to meeting all of you who will be in St Paul this August.
Maybe I'll tell you of my harrowing middle of the night drive through the Siskiyous in a snowstorm towing a trailer.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2005, 04:47:24 AM »
I think I'll like it as well.
Big city, solid music/arts/cultural scene.
I've heard the people are nice. I'm concerned that one of my friends that went to Carleton, and another that had friends at Mcallister mentioned that "Minnesota Nice" leaves a lot to be desired.

Will there really be that big a cultural difference between the West Coast and the upper Midwest?

Between Purple Rain, and Fargo I really am not sure what to expect. Do you think a prototypical West Coaster (outdoorsy, skate/surf/snowboard, laidback, artsy-fartsy, organic foods type) thrive out in the Twin Cities?
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Eyes of the World

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2005, 09:02:16 AM »
good general info sites for MN:
http://www.citypages.com/
http://www.rakemag.com/
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/activities/

my in-laws are from CA - san fran and L.A. and they love minnesota. you won't have any trouble finding skate parks if you look, you can snow board, but the hills here are nothing like the sierra madre, the biggest you will find is in the upper peninsula of michigan at www.mtbohemia.com; they have a 900 ft vertical w/ 270 inches of snow a year. surfing, hmm...yeah, i know people go up to lake superior and surf, but you will need a wet suit or you will freeze, do a google search for "lake superior surfing", and you will find plenty of info. laidback - yes. artsy-fartsy: yes, tons of theatres, galleries, small concert venues, etc. lots and lots of this, you will have a never ending supply, the art scene is truly endless. organic foods: yep, lots of co-op's; and don't miss the sweet corn and veggie stands in august, they are everywhere. there are many farms by my house ( i live in BFE on 5 acres) and one of them sells veggies and sweetcorn in the summer on an honor system. there is a tupperware container where you put your dough, and you take what you like (sorry for the sidetrack).

minnesota nice - okay, good question. basically, people can be overly nice and it's really quite humorous. that scene is fargo where the guy is shoveling snow and he talks to the cop for like 10 min's - that is minnesota nice. people will talk to you about anything and be your best friend while doing it. i am from wisconsin, things are slightly different there, maybe a little more liberal in some respects, but anyway, don't worry about it. you will be fine. some people that are not well traveled can feel trapped in minnesota, but i think you can say that for anyone growing up in an area and not traveling outside of it. i have been to most corners of this country and a few other continents and i find the people here pretty tolerable. you of course do get the country folk, but they are damn near everywhere, and they are mostly really nice. this is my background - farming/blue collar life, so whatever. you will be fine. just don't expect the big city and you will not be let down. the metro has a pop of  3.5 mill, so nowhere near LA, NYC or Chicago. BTW, if you need a big city fix, Chicago is a 6 hr drive through wisconsin (very scenic), interstate the whole way. you can stop off at cheese chateauís, etc, they are a trip, very entertaining. there is a place by eau claire that i love because you can stop and buy gas, beef jerky, strong liquor, powerful fireworks and cheese all in one stop. this is truly wisconsin/midwestern.

activities overall: you cannot get board in minnesota, unless you are looking for a glamorous east coast/hollywood experience. what i mean by that is that there is a lot to get into here, tons of organized events which are easy to tap into - music, food, art, entertainment, etc. some people get side tracked by the smallness of the overall metro, but that is okay, they can find what they are looking for on the coasts, or possibly in chicago. if you are into outdoor experiences, there is a lot for you: fishing, camping, boating, hiking, climbing, birding, hunting, etc.

i was planning to go to san diego for school for a bit, but i now think i am going to stay here and go to hamline (i'm married, one kid, one on the way, career, mortgage, etc), so it is sorta funny you asked. i was almost in your neck of the woods, now you are coming to mine.

good luck; if you need help or have questions, you can email me or post. later.

p.s. i'd like to directly answer your question on culture: there is a cultural difference, but it is all relative to what you are used to. i would say that the culture here is more like san fran's and less like LA's. fiscally conservative and socially liberal is the main stay. lots of WASP's, but nice, inviting ones. again, don't worry, you will find what you are looking for, it's like Jerry said..."Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street. Used to be the heart of town. Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart. You just gotta poke around."

I think I'll like it as well.
Big city, solid music/arts/cultural scene.
I've heard the people are nice. I'm concerned that one of my friends that went to Carleton, and another that had friends at Mcallister mentioned that "Minnesota Nice" leaves a lot to be desired.

Will there really be that big a cultural difference between the West Coast and the upper Midwest?

Between Purple Rain, and Fargo I really am not sure what to expect. Do you think a prototypical West Coaster (outdoorsy, skate/surf/snowboard, laidback, artsy-fartsy, organic foods type) thrive out in the Twin Cities?

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2005, 10:09:03 AM »
Stroopwafel- Take that friend's opinion with a grain of salt.  Carleton College is really in the middle of nowhere.  Hamline is in the middle of the Twin Cities though...completely different.  It would be like comparing Ithaca to NYC for a generalization of NY state ;)
Fed gov't atty

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2005, 01:30:40 PM »
Stroopwafel- Take that friend's opinion with a grain of salt.  Carleton College is really in the middle of nowhere.  Hamline is in the middle of the Twin Cities though...completely different.  It would be like comparing Ithaca to NYC for a generalization of NY state ;)

Carelton College is a whole other world where every shops at A&F. :) It's not representive of the general population.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
Haha!

GREAT posts you guys! Thanks a bunch. Even with growing up in NorCal and living in SEattle for so long, the Twin Cities do feel right to me. One of my buddies is even jealous since he says that he really likes the MidWest.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Bhoutros

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
I grew up in Northfield, home of Carleton College.  I probably would have gone there if it wans't my hometown.  I did go to Macalester.  If you have questions - I'll try and answer.

I have sent a deposit to Hamline - but I am not sure if I will be attending this fall.  I guess it depends on what choices 1 and 2 decide to do with me.

I know where I want to live and practice law, and it isn't Minnesota.  I feel comfortable with the school and I'd have a place to live.  I don't know.  I hate all this indecision.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2005, 08:39:52 PM »
I feel you. I have so much trepidation about leaving my comfort zone of the West Coast.
I'm heading off to MPLS sight unseen. I know nothing about the local culture, the history, racial/ethnic/class tensions, and am very reluctant to base anything on stereotypes and unsubstantiated third party information.

I'm thinking it won't be that different from the PacNW and Seattle. And that it will be very different from  Northern California.

See Seattle also has a long history of Nordic pioneers ("Yah sure, Yah betcha"), First Nations people, Asians, and unfortunately few Latins or Afican Americans. You have "Minnesota Nice", we have "Seattle Friendly" (= polite but distant)

NorCal is very, very diverse. Very laid back.

Dunno what to expect from MPLS, but it is in my nature to be adventurous so I'm sure that I'll grow to love it.

-Goethe