Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Overly Competitive Schools  (Read 2657 times)

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
Overly Competitive Schools
« on: March 01, 2005, 05:28:20 PM »
So I've been reading Law School Confidential, and in it the author makes several references to the competitive schools with nasty environments. We've all heard about them... places where people won't share notes, steal books out of the library, and basically do anything to get an 'edge'. In LSC he won't ever mention the schools' names, ostensibly to avoid having his ass sued into oblivion. He says things like "we all know which schools these are". Well, guess what? I don't know which schools these are!!!

LSC also lists a few school policies which may foster this type of environment. Off the top of my head I can remember that one of the policies was posting grades and/or class rank. Another was if the school doesn't aggressively pursue violations of the honor code.

Anyway, who know which schools are like this, or what else to look out for when visiting campuses?

I'll throw one name out there to get the ball rolling. I have heard from a few former students at BUSL, and they have both described this exact environment there.

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Overly Competitive Schools
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 05:50:02 PM »
Rumor has it that Hastings is like that...
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale

Chitown Man

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 06:56:53 PM »
I've heard that Hastings is like that.  I know a couple of people at Chicago-Kent who claim that it is extremely competitive (at least the day program.)

lanen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 07:12:51 PM »
I've heard Fordham is cut-throat
165/3.81
In:  Temple (4,500 per year), Loyola of Chicago (15k per year), American, Fordham  & Villanova
Out:  Georgetown
Pending: George Washington, Penn, BC,  & BU

Lulu

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 07:16:17 PM »
I would think schools that are competing with higher ranked schools for the same jobs would be the rost. It makes sense for Kent (competing with Chicago and NU) and Fordham (Columbia and NYU). I would think some schools in Boston would have this problem as well...

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 08:10:07 PM »
fordham is so NOT cut-throat. they don't rank students. sure, there's some dipsh!ts in every section, but 85% of the people will go out of their way to help you.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »
Princeton Review calls Emory one of their top picks for Most Competitive Students. I've heard this rumor elsewhere, but I didn't get that impression when I visited at all. Anyone else have knowledge re this?

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »
tag
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

wongsb

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 08:25:33 PM »
On Emory, pulled from their website's FAQs (this struck me for a grin when I was applying):

Q. I've heard that Emory students are very competitive. Is this true?

A. In order to succeed in law, one must be somewhat competitive. However, while our students tend to be very competitive within themselves (trying to do their best and get the highest ranking possible) they also tend to be very helpful and friendly with other students. We have a large number of student organizations supporting students with certain ethnic backgrounds, religious affiliations, or particular areas of interest in law. These organizations work together to provide support for fellow students, and to help them along in their studies.

http://www.law.emory.edu/cms/site/index.php?id=79

Going_Crazy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - powdercarvr
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
Albany Law School at Union is also quoted to have a highly competitive student body. Any opinions or expirience?