Law School Discussion

Cal Western in San Diego

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
Cal Western in San Diego
« on: March 01, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
As the mailbox remains empty, I am finding myself mulling over my acceptances.
Although I like the first year scholarship offer (40%) from Chapman, I am curious about Cal Western in San Diego.

I know enough about Chapman, but know little of Cal Western.... Anyone want to help me out here? Other than simple stats that I pull off of LSAC, Review.com, etc, what do you all think of the school?

Re: Cal Western in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:12:28 PM »
I've heard good things about the school from attorneys who graduated from there.  Although I was accepted there, however, I turned down my acceptance.  The only drawback about the school's location is the cost of living in San Diego.  Since Cal Western didn't offer me any $$$, I decided that I just wasn't willing to go into that much debt (tuition for next fall is approx. $29,000, and who knows how much money I'd have to spend just to live there) to get a degree from Cal Western.  Did you get any scholarship offers?  My numbers are similar to yours (I have a 3.07/154 (150 + 158), and as far as I know, Cal Western takes the highest LSAT score).  If not, I'd jump on Chapman's scholarship offer in a quick minute.

Where do you want to practice?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 02:33:30 PM »
If you want to stay in the San Diego area, I would recommend it.   San Diego firms are very provincial and generally hire from USD and Cal Western over other CA schools.  Also, you have increased opportunities during the school year to clerk, extern, etc.   The downside is location, cost and cost of living, although if I had to choose CW versus Chapman, I would choose CW in a heart beat.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:03:28 PM »
As the mailbox remains empty, I am finding myself mulling over my acceptances.
Although I like the first year scholarship offer (40%) from Chapman, I am curious about Cal Western in San Diego.

Cal Western is a very good school. It is rather corporate in atmosphere, being downtown and not really part of a larger university. I'd imagine that Chapman would be a better bet if one plans on working in Orange County or LA. If, however, you wished to stay in San Diego, Cal Western is a better choice.

DumbMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 04:15:09 PM »
I agree with everyone else that CalWestern is good if you want to stay in San Diego, I'd go with Chapman if you want to live in OC. I know quite a few people who go to CalWestern and they are some of the happiest law students I know. Being downtown, it is right in the heart of San Diego and it's judicial center. I intern with a Federal District court judge and the majority of the clerks in that system graduated from CalWestern (thought most of the law students who clerk during law school are from USD). I also have had two professors from Calwestern as visiting profs at UCSD. They were some of my favorite professor, very knowledgable and approachable. I think that a drawback is that it's not part of a larger university so it is very alienated and there is not a real sense of community within the law school. My supervisor at my regular job is a graduate of CalWestern and she's not actually practicing law so I'm not sure how many of it's graduates go on to practice. I know that their bar passage rate is increasing and their work with the California Innocent Project is really great.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 06:49:37 PM »
I know that their bar passage rate is increasing and their work with the California Innocent Project is really great.

I used to pay a lot of attention to bar passage rate. Then, I did some research. My results indicated that the bar passage rate is related more to the average LSAT score of the students/graduates than to anything else. So, if you have a 165, you'd probably pass the bar with the same score if you went to Stanford, or went to Univ of San Diego, or Cal Western for that matter. Of the schools in California, only two underperformed or overperformed on the bar exam in relation to the average LSAT of its students (Davis did great, USC badly). Stanford is and will probably always be on top, but that isn't to suggest one gets a better education there; rather, the students are probably just really, really smart. That having been said, California insists on making it harder to pass the bar exam than anywhere in the nation.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 04:56:28 PM »
What about Cal Western vs. TJ?  (Interest in criminal law)