Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Benefits of retaking the LSAT?  (Read 1157 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Benefits of retaking the LSAT?
« on: March 01, 2005, 02:36:16 PM »
I received a 160 in December. I've already gotten into some solid schools for next fall. Lately I have been toying with the idea of retaking in June, with the hope of doing substantially better (168+) and possibly shooting higher next cycle. If I retook in June, would it have any effect on schools I've already applied to? If I don't do much better, I would just go to school next fall.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

Wildflower

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of retaking the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:54:34 PM »
I don't think a retake would effect the schools you have already applied to. I don't think they will resend an LSDAS report again unless you request it to be sent again and pay another fee.
However, if your going to put yourslef through that hell again I would make sure I was going to score at least 10 pionts higher than the score you have, cause your score is actually nice.~~ :)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:10:53 PM »
I don't think a retake would effect the schools you have already applied to. I don't think they will resend an LSDAS report again unless you request it to be sent again and pay another fee.
However, if your going to put yourslef through that hell again I would make sure I was going to score at least 10 pionts higher than the score you have, cause your score is actually nice.~~ :)

Yeah, I'm thinking that if I don't score at least a 170 I won't bother; I'd just go next fall somewhere. Some schools, however, like Northwestern, will take your higher score.
3.5/160

Wildflower

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:24:16 PM »
You should have some choices w/ your score. The only school I can apply to does not average either. So if I had to I could retake, and retake..........but Yuck.

So Good Luck!

My philosophy is just get in. Then I will work on my rep as an attorney after!

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 03:47:43 PM »
Is it just a 'hope' that you will do better, or do you have reason to beleive you will do much better? (and 160 is not bad to begin with  ;)) Unless you tested well below your practice tests or didn't prepare much the first time or were sick the day of the test or something, it may not be worth it.
I have a friend with practice tests all 155-160 and when his score came back from the Decemeber test: 144. Ouch. But he also worked 60+ hours that week and ran a marathon he'd been training for the day after the test so he probably shouldn't have tested that day at all. In a case like that, definitely retest. If it is just a hope to raise a couple of points...it couldn't hurt since you're already in, but do you want to spend all that time prepping and pay for the test again if you're not positive your score will raise significantly? Good luck :)
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

twelvehundred

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 03:49:52 PM »
I am very confident that I could score 170+ on the LSAT with additional preparation.  I took some time off of work to study but was still taking a full cousre load at school.  If I do not get in to UCLA or USC I think I will wait one year and retake the LSAT.  This will also give me time to study for the GMAT and apply for a JD/MBA.  Good luck if you do decide to retake.

Ben

uberlawmachine

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 03:52:18 PM »

Do you know for sure that you have to pay again for a new score?

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »
Is it just a 'hope' that you will do better, or do you have reason to beleive you will do much better? (and 160 is not bad to begin with  ;)) Unless you tested well below your practice tests or didn't prepare much the first time or were sick the day of the test or something, it may not be worth it.
I have a friend with practice tests all 155-160 and when his score came back from the Decemeber test: 144. Ouch. But he also worked 60+ hours that week and ran a marathon he'd been training for the day after the test so he probably shouldn't have tested that day at all. In a case like that, definitely retest. If it is just a hope to raise a couple of points...it couldn't hurt since you're already in, but do you want to spend all that time prepping and pay for the test again if you're not positive your score will raise significantly? Good luck :)

So my retake has no bearing on schools in which I've already been accepted?
3.5/160

Masticatrix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 03:56:57 PM »
I retook the LSAT...the first time I took it, my grandmother had died a few hours earlier and I had the flu.  I wasn't coherent enough to consider canceling the score until well after the deadline passed.  No suprise- I scored a good 10 points below my practice tests.  I retook at the next sitting, but as my luck would have it, had another semi-crisis the day before, and only increased my score 4 points.  On the one hand, I wish I had waited longer to retake the test and postponed all my applications for a year.  On the other hand, I'm fairly happy with the schools I've been accepted to thus far.  I don't know how well my experience translates into advice, but I think it's worth the hundred-some dollars to retake the LSAT if you truly think you could score substantially higher.
Attending: Hastings

TigerLoo

Cube Farmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • The poster formerly known as Fred Garvin...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
I agree that if you have a chance of getting significantly higher, than do so. otherwise, that does not seem to make much sense. The real question is: are you going to be happy and content going to one of the schools you are in now?
In: Texas Tech ($), Tulsa ($$$); South Texas ($); Baylor; SMU
Waitlist: Oklahoma; Houston; Denver
Rejection: Texas; Georgetown; Harvard; Colorado; Northwestern; ASU;