Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I've yet to crack a prep book...  (Read 1024 times)

yellowplum06

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
I've yet to crack a prep book...
« on: October 21, 2003, 02:43:03 PM »
I haven't looked into the LSAT much.  The only things I really know are that the LSAT is extremely important, and the closest your score is to 180 the better.  

Anyway, I'm a sophomore right now, and am starting to think about studying.  Any tips?  Where should I begin? - Should I dive right into tests, study useful strategies first, etc.?  I never prepped for the SAT I and II tests (apart from knowing the basic layout), and don't think I will be forking over hundreds of $$ for an LSAT prep course... unless it is really highly advisable to take a course.

Any tips would be wonderful.

-Em  
~studying my way into deeper and deeper debt.

Iggy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: I've yet to crack a prep book...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 07:21:49 PM »
I think it's a bit early to really start "studying" for the LSAT. Time is on your side. All I can tell you is that I set aside about six months to really prep for it and I felt confident going in. And I am happy with my score.

But you can't really study for it like you can for an exam. They aren't trying to test your knowledge, they are trying to test your reading and analytical skills in a very timed environment.

The best thing is to become familiar with the 3 types of sections and work on being able to work thru them as quickly as you can without sacrificing quality. If you're a pretty smart person you probably could get almost all the questions right if there was no time limit. So speed is pretty important.

I don't think you need to start working on it just yet. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them, though!

X3Maverick

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »
lol

EvieO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »
I think if you're still a sophomore, your best prep is to take a wide variety of courses that will enrich your knowledge base, reading comprehension ability, and reasoning skills. 

Read a lot (course-related and otherwise).

And keep your GPA up.

mark_ede

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 12:58:36 AM »
Assuming you need 4 years to get into law school (which I think is the case unless you're lucky enough to be Canadian  :) ) then don't worry until next year. If you are really intense consider a formal logic course, which could be somewhat helpful. Otherwise relax and drink beer rather then worry about the LSAT. I didn't open a book until April, and even if you really need time more then 6 months is overkill. For all the help practice does if you don't have the ability you can only do so well, so it's not worth putting in years of prep.