Poll

Are You?

Black American--all four grandparents born and raised in this country
 13 (37.1%)
Carribbean origin--at least one of your grandparents hails from the Carribbean
 0 (0%)
African origin--at least one of your grandparents hails from the Carribbean
 0 (0%)
of recent Carribbean immigration--at least one of your parents was born/raised in the Carribbean
 2 (5.7%)
of recent African immigration--at least one of your parents was born/raised in Africa
 5 (14.3%)
an immigrant yourself (born and or raised in Africa or the Carribbean)
 3 (8.6%)
biracial/interracial
 3 (8.6%)
a mix of the above options (please explain)
 1 (2.9%)
not black at all  (why are you on this thread?!  just kidding)
 8 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Diversity within the Black community  (Read 9002 times)

never2bsy

• View Profile
Re: Diversity within the Black community
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 05:42:01 PM »
This is an interesting thread. Surprised that it doesn't have more contributors. I chose bi-racial. My mother is African American and my father is Asian.
If there is anybody in this land who thoroughly believes that the meek shall inherit the earth, they have not often let their presence be known. -- W.E.B. DuBois

shiveringjenny

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 05:42:30 PM »
what kind of asian?

never2bsy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 05:44:18 PM »
If there is anybody in this land who thoroughly believes that the meek shall inherit the earth, they have not often let their presence be known. -- W.E.B. DuBois

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:24:31 PM »
Hi Never2 -

I guess that debunks the theory that Blacks and Koreans don't get along :-)

I'm mixed too -- my father is a white Southerner.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

never2bsy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 10:55:53 PM »
Hi Never2 -

I guess that debunks the theory that Blacks and Koreans don't get along :-)

I'm mixed too -- my father is a white Southerner.

Not necessarily, there remains tension between some of my family members. Do you identify with one side of your fam more than the other ? Or does it all feel the same for you?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 03:32:39 AM »
Hey Never2,

I really like to define myself as biracial and don't like to pick sides so to speak. I am interested in my Scotch-Irish Southern heritage just as I am interested in my black heritage.

However, I guess since I am a minority I feel more of a connection with black people.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

never2bsy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 08:12:09 PM »
Hey Never2,

I really like to define myself as biracial and don't like to pick sides so to speak. I am interested in my Scotch-Irish Southern heritage just as I am interested in my black heritage.

However, I guess since I am a minority I feel more of a connection with black people.

I understand where you are coming from. I was just wondering because I know that within some bi-racial families some of the grandparents or other relatives from time to time have issue (whether it's blatant or not) with the darker hued half black offspring. I've seen some of my cousins be treated differently than I am.

Within the Asian community a lot of people view me simply as a Black man. I've actually had some bi-racial friends that wouldn't admit that they're bi-racial amongst a lot of our african american friends because they've felt that they wouldn't be fully accepted..

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »
Hey Never2,

I understand where you are coming from. I was just wondering because I know that within some bi-racial families some of the grandparents or other relatives from time to time have issue (whether it's blatant or not) with the darker hued half black offspring. I've seen some of my cousins be treated differently than I am.

Within the Asian community a lot of people view me simply as a Black man. I've actually had some bi-racial friends that wouldn't admit that they're bi-racial amongst a lot of our african american friends because they've felt that they wouldn't be fully accepted..

I'm interested nevers2by, does the Asian half of your family treat you simply as a black man? Do they treat you any differently? What are the tensions you see in your family, and how has that effected you and your outlook on intterracial relationships?

never2bsy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
There are some aunts and uncles that aren't as receptive to us to be quite honest with you. It's something that I'm pretty used to though. There were times growing up where I felt like an outsider but I can't say that my sisters went through the same experience. I think that in some ways Black man equates to threat to them.

As far as dating is concerned, my parents are divorced and my mother is Black. I've never dated a non-Black woman and I don't see that changing.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 12:30:35 PM »
etruman, what's your heritage?
Look to the left -- Look to the right