Poll

Are You?

Black American--all four grandparents born and raised in this country
 13 (37.1%)
Carribbean origin--at least one of your grandparents hails from the Carribbean
 0 (0%)
African origin--at least one of your grandparents hails from the Carribbean
 0 (0%)
of recent Carribbean immigration--at least one of your parents was born/raised in the Carribbean
 2 (5.7%)
of recent African immigration--at least one of your parents was born/raised in Africa
 5 (14.3%)
an immigrant yourself (born and or raised in Africa or the Carribbean)
 3 (8.6%)
biracial/interracial
 3 (8.6%)
a mix of the above options (please explain)
 1 (2.9%)
not black at all  (why are you on this thread?!  just kidding)
 8 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Diversity within the Black community  (Read 8241 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Diversity within the Black community
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
I'm not all that close to the white side of my family, but mostly because they live far away and are just sort of strange people.

Never2 you said some people don't mention their biracial background -- my sister is like that, hardly tells anyone she is mixed. I wouldn't do that myself, but I couldn't really get away with it if I tried, I am very obviously mixed.

Nobody asked me specifically what I think about the interracial relationships, but being the product of an interracial marriage makes me more open to that. I see nothing wrong with race-mixing. I think people should mate with whomever they choose.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 08:54:59 PM »
I've never dated a non-Black woman and I don't see that changing.

N2B, any particular reason why?

I'm not bi-racial but it used to bother me when people would ask if I was.  I took it as them saying i didn't look like what i am.  Life story aside, i think subconsciously i prefer darker men for that reason.  I've never dated outside of my race, but ultimately, if I met someone I loved i don't think it would matter.
"I take summers off cuz I love winter beef..." NAS

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
the booty
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 09:10:29 PM »
the booty

Besides the obvious??  :P

never2bsy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 09:23:52 PM »
I have a genuine love for sisters that fuels my desire to find one that will appreciate me as a man and what I have to offer. If you were to ask me what the image of beauty is, I'd tell you instantly that a woman of African descent (in all her forms) comes to mind. With that said, I would be selling myself short and being untrue to myself if I were to go try to talk to a white woman for example. While I could, I wouldn't disrespect her like that if I knew off the bat that she would not draw from me the type of love and passion that I have only been able to experience with black women.
If there is anybody in this land who thoroughly believes that the meek shall inherit the earth, they have not often let their presence be known. -- W.E.B. DuBois

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 09:34:10 PM »
I have a genuine love for sisters that fuels my desire to find one that will appreciate me as a man and what I have to offer. If you were to ask me what the image of beauty is, I'd tell you instantly that a woman of African descent (in all her forms) comes to mind. With that said, I would be selling myself short and being untrue to myself if I were to go try to talk to a white woman for example. While I could, I wouldn't disrespect her like that if I knew off the bat that she would not draw from me the type of love and passion that I have only been able to experience with black women.

So you don't want to short-change the white women, huh? I see what its all about!  :o ::) 

LOL  :P ;D

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
my response seems so inadequate now...
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 11:02:01 PM »
I think that in some ways Black man equates to threat to them.

that pretty much sums it up.

thanks for the response  :)

and this is really sweet, i appreciate your honesty.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »
If you were to ask me what the image of beauty is, I'd tell you instantly that a woman of African descent (in all her forms) comes to mind.

Uncannily, your sentiments run parallel to mine.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »
Interesting thread...just tagging it.

My family is the rainbow coalition LOL.

I have white members of my family, but so does every other black person who lives in America so I really don't talk about it.

My father's side is from Jamaica and Martinique. Interestingly enough, there is a pretty large Chinese population in Jamaica and they've intermarried with a lot of the natives.

My mother's side of the family is primarily from Sudan and Madagascar.

I see never2bsy and Victor are winning points with the ladies LOL. 

So it's safe to assume you guys will marry black women? (if you decide to get married at all)