Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeing Columbia (and NY) on my own  (Read 798 times)

abrownie

Seeing Columbia (and NY) on my own
« on: March 01, 2005, 01:58:52 AM »
I'm flying out to New York in a couple of days to visit NYU and Columbia.  I'll be attending the NYU admitted students day but won't be able to attend the Columbia admit days because...  I haven't been admitted yet.

I thought I would have heard from them within two months of my complete notice.  Unfortunately, I didn't.  As it is, this is really my only opportunity to take an extended trip (it's my winter break) and I don't want to make two trips to NY.

The admissions office will, understandably, be busy while I'm there (the woman on the phone actually sounded peeved when I called).  I've a list of classes that I might be able to visit and know where to pick up the self-guided tour stuff.  I also have a friend in Columbia undergrad who I'll be staying with and who can show me around a bit, but unfortunately, she has a good amount of work to deal with and won't be able to babysit me.

So what else can I do on my own?  Any good advice for not looking like a tool while around NY?

JasonJD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seeing Columbia (and NY) on my own
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 05:27:36 PM »
Some of my favorite places in NYC: Time's Square, the WTC site, Yankee Stadium, the Village (where NYU is, some good bars there), Wall Street, the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Just don't buy one of those I heart NY shirts. I don't know anyone who actually wears those.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »
hello!!  this is NY we're talking about.  you would be a real tool if you got yourself bored in new york.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 08:34:13 PM »
It's "Times" - like the newspaper, not "Time's"

All you need to do is get yourself an unlimited daily metrocard and explore. If you don't want to look like a tool, never look up at the buildings. That's how you tell the tourists, they're the ones staring upwards. New Yorkers look down.

Most importantly, never stop at or near the top or bottom of a staircase, particularly in a subway station. And never block a sidewalk (stopping to take pictures, walking more than two abreast, etc.). New Yorkers are the nicest, most helpful people in the world, so long as you don't block one's way. Personally, so long as it's an able-bodied person, I have no qualms about knocking someone down a flight of stairs if they're blocking the way when a train I need to catch is in the station.

Lulu

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 08:40:49 PM »
Also, you can dress like a New Yorker-- i.e. no white tennis shoes, especially if you're a girl-- and walk fast. Don't pull out a map! I lived there for the first time this summer and everyone thought I was a native because I followed those two rules. I used to figure out where I was going before I left the apartment and so, never need the map  ;) Tell me all about NYU admitted day when you get back, I'm going on April 1st but am very curious!!!

For stuff to do: if you're a museum person, check those out, always interesting; if it's nice out, go to the park; try and get a feel for the neighborhoods, too, especially if you know you'll be living around NYU or Columbia for sure (i.e. know you're living in the dorms). For me, there's always shopping-- I could spend the whole day in Saks/Barney's (especially teh co-op which has more affordable stuff- highly recommend buying jeans there, they'll actually just look at you and figure out what will look good on you)/Bloomingdales, browsing and buying stuff. If you like that, do some window shopping at all the nice stores-- another thing I could do all day

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 09:23:13 AM »
Also, you can dress like a New Yorker-- i.e. no white tennis shoes, especially if you're a girl-- and walk fast. Don't

No white tennis shoes?  Where did that come from?

Lulu

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
Also, you can dress like a New Yorker-- i.e. no white tennis shoes, especially if you're a girl-- and walk fast. Don't

No white tennis shoes?  Where did that come from?

That's just what my friends and i noticed all the tourists would wear in the summer. you know, since they mostly weren't used to walking a lot.