Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Pepperdine really that conservative?  (Read 2541 times)

greatscotsride

Re: Is Pepperdine really that conservative?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 08:20:15 AM »
True, it may be conservative.....but its got a hell of a view of the beach  ;)

forget any classes, just head down there. But I agree, you definatly have to visit these places and see for yourself

righty

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 11:33:53 AM »
I agree, visiting the school says it all. It was the first school I visited over 2 years ago and I visited atleast 15 schools. It is the only one that felt right to me!

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 01:05:47 PM »
Thanks for you input, everyone!  I'm heading up there next weekend to just look around at the campus and area...I originally wasn't going to, but I'll probably take a day off work and also try to attend either admitted students day, or another school day to get a feel for the profs and staff members.   :)
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes

DodgerLaw

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 01:13:13 PM »
Yeah,Sunset, take the day off. If you chose Pepperdine, you'll be spending three years there. It's definitely worth one day off work.

pico135

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 07:56:45 PM »
Conservatives are always outnumbered on college campuses (exception Texas) so deal with it, we do!
Pico Abides

DodgerLaw

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 09:07:54 PM »
Consider that your current philosophies and worldview may not be a permanent thing.

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.

-Winston Churchill

I thought Reagan said that. I guess maybe he was quoting Churchill.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »
Can you tell me more about the emphasis on ethics at Pepperdine? That is the type of law school that I am looking for, really.
I want to be able to take ethics courses and the like. Any suggestions for these types of law school?

THanks!
 ;D

Cliff_Clavin

• Lost on Jeopardy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 02:44:24 AM »
Pepperdine is my first-choice school, too (although UMiami is starting to look AWFULLY tempting to me), so I thought I'd weigh in on this...

I was once informed that, if you're not a "right-wing hard-line Christian," (literally, what a co-worker's wife who'd earned her Masters there told me over dinner) that a person shouldn't even consider going to Pepperdine.  Two other people (a friend of my ex-boss' whose sister attended there, and a bartender friend of mine who went there briefly as a Masters student) that the "outlook" there definitely can make a non-practicing Christian "uncomfortable."  When pressed for specifics, neither would really elaborate, but they did re-iterate their beliefs...

Not trying to impugn anyone's beliefs (I'm likely more right-of-center than the vast majority of law school students); just passing along the anecdotal "evidence" I've been given over the past couple of years...
Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

ennuiner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 02:54:43 AM »
Yeah, Pepperdine is real christy and conservative.  Aside from the Ken Starr associations, Ben Stien was a Professor there for a good while, but I don't think he still is.  Crosses are prevelent, and a large phallic symbol to god juts out from the middle of campus, which is called an "Obelisk" when it's for Jesus.

That said, I don't that much spills over into the student body itself.  The only person I know who went there was a jew.
163/3.95
Accepted: Texas
Defered: Penn
Pending: Cornell
Rejected: Boalt
Waitlist(after defered): G'town, UVA, Duke... can't find it in their heart to reject me

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »
Consider that your current philosophies and worldview may not be a permanent thing.

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.

-Winston Churchill

I'm 30, does your quote explain my constant confusion?
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law