Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Pepperdine really that conservative?  (Read 2706 times)

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is Pepperdine really that conservative?
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:40:26 PM »
Hello, I'm new to these boards...

I have a general question about Pepperdine (accepted there w/ a scholarship offer)  Is the conservative atmosphere really that apparent?  I consider myself fairly liberal...before applying there I knew that it was a Christian school, but lately I've heard that it can the conservativism there can be stifling.  Right now I am seriously considering Pepperdine for its location, academics, and ADR program.

If anyone has any feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it!
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Is Pepperdine really that conservative?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:47:08 PM »
Haven't been there but, Church of Christ, very conservative. I believe that is what they follow. I am liberal and considering a different conservative school. I am sure you could find your niche, plus you would be in Los Angeles where everything exists. Does ADR pay well, do you know a place where I could look at what kinds of jobs are available in that field?
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 07:01:06 PM »
Not entirely sure what the salary range of ADR jobs are but I'm sure it varies, but you can look here:
http://law.pepperdine.edu/straus/jobs/
That is the link about ADR jobs and hire postings on the Straus Institute site, it lists hiring salaries on some of them so it might help.  Also, you can see what sorts of companies hire specifically for ADR and the job descriptions.
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,

righty

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 07:06:47 PM »
Yes, it is definetly conservative. Kenn Starr is the Dean of the Law School and I am sure he will be bringing in conservative speakers, etc. If you look at their annuual law dinner, Theodore Olson is speaking who is a fellow conservative. They also just established a joint degree program on religion, ethics and law. The school is built on a religious philiosophy that is prcaticed in the law school and one should respect this unique opportunity to study in such an enviornment that values religiousity.  
However, as far as being concerned with liberalism vs conservatism - Don't you think it would be much more challenging to be around other students with different views from yourself? It is the differences among people that calls for leadership - It's easy to lead those who already agree! Think about that.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 07:07:12 PM »
Thanks, By the way, Pepperdine is in a beautiful location, although it is a bit removed from the city.

I am the Law

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 07:10:25 PM »
Yes, it is definetly conservative. Kenn Starr is the Dean of the Law School and I am sure he will be bringing in conservative speakers, etc. If you look at their annuual law dinner, Theodore Olson is speaking who is a fellow conservative. They also just established a joint degree program on religion, ethics and law. The school is built on a religious philiosophy that is prcaticed in the law school and one should respect this unique opportunity to study in such an enviornment that values religiousity.  
However, as far as being concerned with liberalism vs conservatism - Don't you think it would be much more challenging to be around other students with different views from yourself? It is the differences among people that calls for leadership - It's easy to lead those who already agree! Think about that.

Good points. I have been weighing the advantages of going to a school where they majority might think very differently from me. I will admit, one friend pointed at that no matter where you go law school will be hard as can be, so you don't need to add unnecessary challenges. Besides, the group you study with will be contacts after graduation. The other question with a place like Pepperdine is whether religion will be forced on you if you are there.

I am the Law

sunset1021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 07:15:45 PM »
I agree, that interaction with people who look and think differently than yourself if important to having a well-rounded, informed outlook on life...I guess my apprehensions on Pepperdine rest on a number of things...(practical) the availability of student organizations, jobs (right now I'm interested in public interest and ADR), etc...and I suppose non-practical reasons like, will I get in trouble in grad student housing for having a bottle of wine in my fridge to use even for cooking?
"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die,

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 10:01:01 PM »
Pepperdine really IS that conservative in enforcing campus housing policies, course, faculty, and student clubs. It may be stifling.

Less than 1% of Pepperdine grads go in to Public Interest law.

However, it is well regarded in SoCal, so you'll definitely be able to find a job.

A_Sauce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 12:46:32 AM »
I've heard that, at least in terms of student body, that it isn't as conservative as people may make it out to be. I would make a guess that it's as moderate as many of the other Southern California schools.

Don't know about its administration though. Although all signs point to red =P
Attending: UCLA Law

DodgerLaw

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 04:14:52 AM »
Sunset,

I see that you are in San Diego. Have you visited Pepperdine yet? I think you could learn much more about the "feel" of the school and your own feelings about it by going there than by reading 100 posts on any board.