Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whittier  (Read 996 times)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Whittier
« on: February 28, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »
In at Whittier.

Stats in Lawschoolnumbers link below.

Thoughts & observations on Whittier are greatly appreciated.  I am very much intrigued with the idea of going to law school in SoCal.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Whittier
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 05:32:17 PM »
I took my lsat there.  I live 15mins away and my gerneral feel is that it is small and quiet.  I dont know much about the programs but have not heard many good things about opportunities after grad.  It seems that you have been accepted into schools which will afford better opportunities.  congrats  you definately cant beat the weather (except for the recent flooding).  hth

bdc

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 11:36:51 PM »
Hey, when did you apply/were complete at Whittier?

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:45:50 PM »
congrats! congrats! I took a tour of the campus, its a nice small campus. Like most lower tiered schools, it might not be the best choice for biglaw, if thats your future career choice. Other than that, many whittier grads go into public interest, private practice, or gov't. The reason why people say "you wont get a job if you go to whittier" is because most large firms don't make the initiative for OCIs, you have to send out your own resumes. Other than that, it's alright school, depending on what you want to do. And don't listen to people when they bash the school, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

HighlanderDP95

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 02:13:24 PM »
Whittier struggles to keep its head above water.   Remember, there are several other law schools that most people consider better than Whittier.  If you want to stay in SoCal, your initial job prospects would be more difficult.  Also, its in Orange County, which is mucho expensive.
King Hall, '98
Admitted CA, '98, NV '02
Stats (1995)
3.75/160
Accepted: King Hall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted then Accepted: Hastings, UCLA
Waitlisted then . . .: Arizona, Colorado
Denied:  Boalt, Texas

bickslick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 02:14:48 PM »
U get any $$$ from them?

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 02:23:31 PM »
Richard Nixon went to Whittier as an undergrad.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

beanbeangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 03:01:39 PM »
I got accepted by Whittier around late January..I applied in mid December and went complete by end of December.

I wrote to them asking about the money. Their admission dean actually called me today and told me how they only offer merit-based scholarship, which I am applying rite now. I think it is not very hard to get as long as you can write something decent.

This is the only school I got accepted right now...WL at University of Maryland and I got 8 more to go.

I dunno really wanna go to Whittier just cuz it's so close to home...but on the plus side..it's so freaking close to nice beaches and South Coast Mall is only 5 min away..

jared413

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 03:06:03 PM »
I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping to be accepted. My application went complete 1/31 and I haven't heard anything since.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 09:35:47 PM »
As gentoo said, there are lots of opportunities for government and non-profit jobs from Whittier. It is not a BigLaw meca, but you can get a BigLaw job. A senior attorney I work with went to Whittier and is doing very well.

I like the campus, it is set up like a mini version of a full university. The library is quite nice. There are TONS of scholarhsips for non-traditional students in the 2nd and 3rd years.

Orange County is psycho expensive. I pay $1185/mo for my 1 bedroom in a mediocre part of town in Tustin and people consider that cheap.

Congrats! I gave up my Whittier spot with scholarship about a week ago.