Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois vs. WUSTL  (Read 2994 times)

biglarryowens

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • biglarryowens on LSN
    • Email
Illinois vs. WUSTL
« on: February 28, 2005, 02:45:40 PM »
Illinois with Full Scholarship vs. WUSTL with $20K per year.  Wouldn't mind working in teh midwest for a few years, but still want to end up out west. Thoughts?
166/3.58
Attending UT ($)
Yes: USC, Wash U, USD, ASU, William&Mary, Indiana, UofA, UNLV, Illinois, UT Austin
No: NYU, Georgetown, Columbia, Yale, Havard, Penn, Duke
Defer: Cornell
Waitlist: UCLA

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=biglarryowens

rwhitman

Re: Illinois vs. WUSTL
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:47:51 PM »
Illinois with Full Scholarship vs. WUSTL with $20K per year.  Wouldn't mind working in teh midwest for a few years, but still want to end up out west. Thoughts?
Go to USC if you want to work in Cali, Univ. Arizona if you want to work in Arizona, UNLV for Nevada. 

I wouldn't recommend Illinois or WUSTL for out west.

biglarryowens

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • biglarryowens on LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 03:27:26 PM »
No matter how much I want to believe otherwise, that seems to be the prevalant advice-thanks for the response. 
166/3.58
Attending UT ($)
Yes: USC, Wash U, USD, ASU, William&Mary, Indiana, UofA, UNLV, Illinois, UT Austin

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 07:00:57 PM »

If you don't mind working in the midwest for a few years in the midwest you do not need to go to USC (though that may be a safer bet).

There is alot of debt to be saved in the midwest (assuming you didn't get a big scholarship at USC) so I would continue looking into your career prospects at WUSTL or illinois if you don't mind staying the midwest for awhile.

I can't say WUSTL or illinois, but if you want a guess, I guess WUSTL.

MODIFY: I really wasn't drunk typing this... just ADHD and no coffee yet!
(163+172)/3.5

biglarryowens

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • biglarryowens on LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:42:22 PM »
Yah, that's just it- if I could go to USC without the debt it would be a no-brainer, but Illinois and WUSTL are both good schools where I could come out with minimal debt. There are a lot of firms that have offices in both Chicago and LA or St. Louis and Phoenix etc. so I think it would be possible to work in the midwest office for a few years then ask for a transfer to my home out west.  I think I need to look into that more.
166/3.58
Attending UT ($)

the REAL desi

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »
if you want to work out west, you have two options:
1) go to USC, etc, and start your career out west
2)  go to UIUC, and either
a) network like crazy out west and try to get there on your own
b) start your career in Chicago and lateral back out west after 3 years.

do NOT go to WUSTTTL

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 03:00:34 AM »
DO NOT pay to go to WUSTL over full at Illinois. If you want to work out west, obviously school out west would be better. But, if your choice is Illinois for free or WUSTL, go to Illinois. Just because US News says it's number 20 doesn't mean it has the reputation of any other school around it. Wash U will have you struggling to much for a job to make up for the cost, where as Illinois can get you a firm job in Chicago, and maybe one with a west coast office.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 10:51:43 AM »
if your choice is Illinois for free or WUSTL, go to Illinois

that's not his choice, read his post!
(163+172)/3.5

louieleftwing

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »
larry,

I'm in a similar circumstance, except on the paying end. I've already decided that, if I were to get into WUStL later this cycle, it would be a bit late to expect merit money. At UIUC, I already have 10K. I know already that I'd go to UIUC w/ 10K over WUStL at full cost. It's about a 15K difference (WUStL is more about 5K more expensive from the start.

How do I know already? Research. This is where you need to listen to "eva," because he went through this last year. WUStL's status is more about gaming the rankings and being a trendy place to go than it is true reputation amongst employers. I don't mind they play the game well; I hope the school I go to will have good game. Nevertheless, WUStL's standing is more manipulation.

You will have they same oppurtunities coming out of either school if you do well; you will lack the same oppurtunities coming out of either school if you do poorly. This is where you go with the cheaper option. UIUC is the better choice.

As for the west...Don't pay full price for USC just because you want to be out west. The cost difference is too much. That debt could be hard to take on. I'd rather see you go to UIUC and network hard (it should be done anyway), work in the midwest for a few and transfer (you said you wouldn't mind), do some of the off-campus job fairs in so cal, and when you do OCI, indicate a preference for the west (and back it up). A large firm will interview at OCI for more than their office in the closest city (even though their recruiter may be from that office).

dubris

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
I don't think WUSTL is "gaming the rankings." I think its trying to improve, and there's nothing wrong with that. That being said, it cannot be disputed that WUSTL's reputation has not caught up with its ranking (the alumni panel at the Jan. open house even said as much.)