Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State Dickinson?  (Read 1517 times)

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Penn State Dickinson?
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:45:02 PM »
I was just accepted to Penn State Dickinson.  Now, I hate living in large cities, so that does not bother me, but I know very little about Dickinson since I live outside of PA.  Can anyone give me some details about the school?  I will be visiting soon, so I will see it for myself.  Any thing anyone can say about it would be great!  Thanks!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kilroy55

brianlifetech

• View Profile
Re: Penn State Dickinson?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:13:58 PM »
Congrats on your acceptance!

I visited Dickinson/ PSU in the fall because I live so close (Northern Maryland) and I know a few graduates of the school. My initial thoughts were that the town was too small for a law school. Carisle is tiny and the biggest attraction is Dickinson College. I wondered how an area like Carisle could foster connections to externships and jobs in the future. However, I was assured by several upperclassmen that the school has good relationships with Harrisburg for public interest jobs and Philadelphia for law firms. If you don't mind working in Central PA for a couple of years after graduating, you might want to consider PSU. 

I found the atmosphere of the school to be laid back and everyone was very friendly. I don't know how much interaction you have had with the admissions office, but the same pleasant demeanor is indicative of most of the faculty I talked with.  I sat in on a criminal procedure class and met with Professor Gilden after class. He was polite to the students and was very accomadating to my questions. I asked students if he was typical of the teaching staff and they said the professors there are pretty relaxed about class. One first year I talked with said that he was surprised that the profs weren't out to embarass students during class.

I think this is a great school for someone who can be away from a major city for a few years. There are some small bars and resturants in town for entertainment. I hope this helps. Definitely check it out for yourself, though.   

Freznic

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:04:17 PM »
I was just accepted to Penn State Dickinson.  Now, I hate living in large cities, so that does not bother me, but I know very little about Dickinson since I live outside of PA.  Can anyone give me some details about the school?  I will be visiting soon, so I will see it for myself.  Any thing anyone can say about it would be great!  Thanks!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kilroy55

Have to say... I like the school and I have decided to go there. Do a search of the board, if you haven't already, to see other opinions (many folks are sketchy about the relationship with Penn State). May I ask if you plan to practice in PA? Dickinson is considered a regional school... just thought I'd mention it.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 05:51:38 PM »
I wouldn't mind practicing in PA.  I like the state, and I have many friends who live in the state, but most of them live in Philadelphia.  Thanks for your info!  I might see you there in the fall!

interested

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 05:55:12 PM »
It boasts of the highest bar passage rates in PA
(yes, above the philadelphia schools, including Penn)
so I would seriously consider it.

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 06:09:12 PM »
It boasts of the highest bar passage rates in PA
(yes, above the philadelphia schools, including Penn)
so I would seriously consider it.

This is incorrect. For July 2004, Penn had a PA Bar Passage Rate of 92.54%, while Dickinson had a rate of 74.56%. Perhaps you got confused because Penn reports its NY Bar Passage rate to USNEWS (since by far most Penn grads take the NY Bar). Temple, Villanova, and Pitt also all had higher PA bar passage rates for this last exam.

http://www.pabarexam.org/Bar_Examination/Statistics/pdfs/0704stats.pdf

Jenmuhl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
hmm. that's interesting because the dickinson acceptance packet has all this information in it about how it has the highest bar passage in PA and then lists the percentages.. and it does say it's above Penn. I am confused.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:39:12 PM »
As a Penn State Graduate, I've also applied to the Dickinson School of Law. I've applied to PSU Dickinson mainly because of its reputation. There's been discussion of moving some of the students to State College. I'd love nothing more than to go back to State College for another few years (although if I drink 1/10th of what I did in undergrad, I'd flunk out).
One thing that worries me is the little feud between Penn State and Dickinson. Graham Spanier (PSU prez)is mad because Dickinson won't allow a portion of its students to come to State College. Dickinson administrators claim that if students started moving to State College that the school would suffer financially, and in turn Carlisle would suffer financially. Also from what I've gathered, Dickinson feels a little betrayed by Penn State. PSU wanted to have a law school and Dickinson did PSU a favor by allowing them to affiliate. Now Graham Spanier is threatening to disaffiliate if they dont shift some of their students to State College.
Despite all that hearsay, the Dickinson School of Law is a good school..It's the 5th oldest school in the nation I believe, and some of its graduates include Governor and former Homeland Security Advisor Tom Ridge and NJ Nets owner Rod Thorn.
Hope this may have helped. I'd say that the Penn State and Dickinson will stay affiliated for a few more years, but in the future, PSU will have its own law school in State College.

Jenmuhl

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 04:52:19 PM »
Hi. I was just wondering from people who visited dickinson is it a normal suburb or PA or even more rural then that. I am accepted and am attending the open house april 9th.  I went to school in a suburb of PA (allentown) and loved it. NOw i got to grad school in philly and want out of the city, but don't want to go anywhere too small.  LIke is there a movie, theatre, restaurants, malls.. or just antique shops? Thanks :)

Freznic

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »
Hi. I was just wondering from people who visited dickinson is it a normal suburb or PA or even more rural then that. I am accepted and am attending the open house april 9th.  I went to school in a suburb of PA (allentown) and loved it. NOw i got to grad school in philly and want out of the city, but don't want to go anywhere too small.  LIke is there a movie, theatre, restaurants, malls.. or just antique shops? Thanks :)

I really like the Allentown area. It is blessed with my favorite supermarket chain EVER... and I have lived in many places and shopped at many supermarkets!!!

Carlisle's benefits are a bit less apparent, but one major one is that it is too far from NYC to be considered a "bedroom community." Thus, the cost of living is lower and it is not as congested.

There is near-by Harrisburg, accessible by bus (I would plan to have a car). Harrisburg is my hometown and has actually improved since my youth. Baltimore is also close, within 90 minutes. However, Carlisle itself is very nice, but it’s a small town. There is a natural foods store and a nice main street area (I do not shop for antiques, so I cannot be sure).  There is a Mall (which was horrible when I was young, not sure now) and a Movie Theater, but, again, I do not think it has the amenities that you might be accustomed to in the Allentown area. If this helps, it reminds me a little bit of Bethlehem (I think?).

I hear you about Philly… I think you’ll probably like Carlisle. Hope this helped.