Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis and the Improvement/Expansion of King Hall  (Read 874 times)

Kerensky

• View Profile
    • LSN data for Kerensky
UC Davis and the Improvement/Expansion of King Hall
« on: February 27, 2005, 04:49:52 PM »
For a variety of reasons both personal and professional UC Davis is shaping up to be one of my top choices.  As such I've been checking the Davis School of Law's website with some regularity and just noticed that they've pledged $19 million in funds towards "improving and expanding" King Hall.  From what I gather King Hall itself (the structure) is one of the few black marks on an otherwise excellent law school.  I wouldn't base a decision to attend a particular law school on the quality of the facilities but I certainly wouldn't mind attending lecture/studying in a newly refurbished structure.  Does anyone out there have specific information on what they're doing with the funds beyond the "providing additional space" bit on the website?

-Kerensky

(Edited to make it clearer that I'm questioning the quality of the structure not the school)

Angelo

• View Profile
Re: UC Davis and the Improvement/Expansion of King Hall
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:02:49 PM »
My understanding is that the expansion will be complete in 2007, so you probably won’t be enjoying that new-law-school-smell as a student.  That said, having visited a few times, the facilities aren’t *that* bad.  True the classrooms don’t rival NASA Mission Control in terms of computer power like at GW, but Davis has the essentials like wireless internet and power strips for all.  Plus there are a few perks that I haven’t seen at other campuses such as every student gets an assigned study carrel (fun to decorate) and a key to the building (I imaging good for practical jokes with said carrels).  Yes it could be prettier but there’s certainly nothing wrong with the campus… then again Davis might get lucky on the next season of “Pimp My Law School.”

Hope that helps…   

Oh yeah, and it's a great school. 

HighlanderDP95

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 01:57:40 PM »
I believe the majority of the expansion is to refurbish the current facilities, plus add more space for the storage of books.   King Hall was completed in 1969 and the vast majority of the class rooms had little done since then.

Clarification on the carrels.  1L and 2L have to share, 3 to a carrel.  3Ls get their own carrels in the stacks.   Most people don't use theirs, so you can always claim some one elses.   The key to the school is essential, especially on the weekends, plus it keeps the undergrads out.

King Hall
King Hall, '98
Admitted CA, '98, NV '02
Stats (1995)
3.75/160
Accepted: King Hall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted then Accepted: Hastings, UCLA
Waitlisted then . . .: Arizona, Colorado
Denied:  Boalt, Texas

Kerensky

• View Profile
    • LSN data for Kerensky
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses! I just got my acceptance today  8). If my fiance makes it into the civil program (knock on wood) it looks like Davis is where we'll be headed.

-Kerensky 

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »
so does that mean two years of jackhammers, construction dust and detours? or will the work be done away from current classes, study areas, etc?
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

Kerensky

• View Profile
    • LSN data for Kerensky
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 02:58:22 PM »
...cutcut raises a good point.  Anyone? Bueller?

jziv2626

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 03:04:20 PM »
As someone who just graduated from davis undergrad, completion date of '07 really means '09.  Construction on that campus is ongoing and a pain in the ass.  There are at least a dozen other contruction projects happening around campus and it seems that all of them are several years behind schedule (there are signs in front of all the projects with a date of completion.) It wouldn't surprise me if some classes got moved during the process.  The law building is great though, minus the dungeon-like library.

HighlanderDP95

• View Profile
That is a consideration
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 04:59:31 PM »
Construction could be disruptive, but that would be one con against several other pros.  I'm sure they'll do the best they can to do it in a non-disruptive fashion.  I do, however, have memories of jackhammers outside when they were redoing something near the law school.   I just can't remember why.
King Hall, '98
Admitted CA, '98, NV '02
Stats (1995)
3.75/160
Accepted: King Hall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted then Accepted: Hastings, UCLA
Waitlisted then . . .: Arizona, Colorado
Denied:  Boalt, Texas