Law School Discussion

Queen's reputation

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: Queen's reputation
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2005, 06:38:58 AM »
BBall, the above comment applies directly to you as well.  I'll let you know how I like my coffee at the interview.

Sure Cheeks, and if you decide to go to UofT, maybe you can tell it to me in person.  I look forward to it.

gladly, make sure you come and introduce yourself.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2005, 06:41:02 AM »
However, considering how full of crap you are in general, I wouldn't be surprised if your claims of acceptance are made-up as well.

Forget the University of Michigan, you probably couldn't get into Michigan State for law. 

all made up.  you caught me.  nice work.

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »
So to sum it all up, we have some guy who is concerned about whether the university he is doing his undergraduate at will effect his law school admissions likelihood and some one who has already graduated from law school trying to force Cheeks into arguing with them on published grounds over whether or not Queen and Western are top Canadian universities.

Cheeks provided excellent argumentation as to why the overall quality of a university can be based on things other than entering averages. While maybe this does not disprove that Queens and Western are at the top it certainly shows that simply citing those stats is not grounds for sufficient evidence.

In addition, these so called authorities on the ranking of Canadian universities are not as grand as you make them out to be. Quest, you quote the Globe and Mail for having ranked Queens number one in providing "Quality Education". In a past issue of The Globe's University Report Card it listed medical schools at York University and the University of Waterloo among Canada's Top 10, though neither has a faculty of medicine. Further, The University of Waterloo's law school placed ninth, yet they do not offer a law degree. Quoting these rankings is not the same as quoting fact. There is no definitive means of ranking universities. So at the end of the day we are left with what Cheeks said, to each his own.

Finally, what are you, Quest, doing on a pre-law forum? The only excuse you could have is that you are here to help those with questions, which you are clearly not. I find it amusing that you actually thought that responding to Cheeks with the fact that you have graduated from law school would 'one-up' him. Through your posts you have managed to call your intelligence, your law school, and the potential future of your dry cleaning being picked up by a U of T or Columbia Law graduate into serious question.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2005, 02:15:59 PM »
hahaha, thanks RoseRed  :-*

The Overman

• I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2005, 02:00:10 PM »
So to sum it all up, we have some guy who is concerned about whether the university he is doing his undergraduate at will effect his law school admissions likelihood and some one who has already graduated from law school trying to force Cheeks into arguing with them on published grounds over whether or not Queen and Western are top Canadian universities.

RoseRed, no one here said that they were worried about how their undergraduate school will affect their chances of being accepted into law school.  Some of us simply disagree with the opinions given by Cheeks.  Furthermore, you are incorrect in stating that Cheeks has given any sort of argument that could be labeled excellent.  While I totally agree that entering averages and published rankings are not everything, they are certainly worth something.  Cheeks has given no evidence whatsoever to support his claims.  Simply stating that UofT has better job and academic placement isn't enough.  Where's the proof to support this claim?     

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2005, 09:23:26 PM »
Entertaining thread!

Graduated Queen's 04 here.  From what I remember, everyone at my beloved alma mater could have went to McGill or U of T, we all just decided that we wanted the Queen's experience.

If this somehow means I am disadvantaged for jobs or academic advancement, then perhaps a cry-session is in order.

Cheeks is an idiot, he would have been eaten alive in K-Town.

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2005, 03:05:46 PM »
Entertaining thread!

Graduated Queen's 04 here.  From what I remember, everyone at my beloved alma mater could have went to McGill or U of T, we all just decided that we wanted the Queen's experience.

If this somehow means I am disadvantaged for jobs or academic advancement, then perhaps a cry-session is in order.

Cheeks is an idiot, he would have been eaten alive in K-Town.

I imagine you are right that queens students are, on average, as good as McGill or U of T students. The only thing is, nobody has heard of Queens in the states. Go post this in the main forum, people will assume you are discussing a community college in Queens, NY. The law school admin people are probably better informed than most, so maybe they know that Queens is a very good school. I don't know, I doubt everybody does. Lawyer, if you are planning on staying in Canada, don't shed tears. If you want to go to the states, nobody will have heard of your school.

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2005, 05:09:12 PM »
Although the average joe shmo american citizen may not know much about the canadian post secondary system, the same cannot be said for either adcoms OR potential employers. Here's a little anecdote for you about a girl I went to highschool with in a small town in buttcrack manitoba. This is her situation:

Worked in New York for Goldman Sachs after graduation with a degree in Finance

Recently entered Harvard business school to pursue an MBA

Got her undergrad from (drumrole...)

University of Calgary!

Not exactly like law school, but same kind of idea. This girl, from what some would call an "unknown" Canadian school, was not only accepted into a highly competitive academic program but also worked for one of the world's foremost investment firms. So for all you punks who think that U of T and McGill are the only possible way you can get accepted into T14 us schools AND find sweet bling bling NYC jobs, think again! Admissions departments and employers are a lot more knowledgable and aware of canadian schools than you give them credit for.