Law School Discussion

Queen's reputation

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: Queen's reputation
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 05:29:31 PM »
CG - out of curiousity, have you applied to law school?

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 05:33:46 PM »
Most of the other Canadian law schools that I've talked to said that they don't consider what school your undergrad degree is from, so your study is most likely correct. 

ps - well I'm glad.  :-\

The Overman

• I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 08:40:50 PM »
Caecilius you make a good point concerning the grading curve.  However, it doesn't seem at all likely that a school like Brock would have the grading set in such a way that their students in general had lower marks than most other schools.  I agree with you that reputations are a complicated matter, but Brock has a mediocre reputation at best.  In most cases it is quite poorly regarded.  Now this reputation may not in fact be warranted, but nonetheless it is possessed by Brock.  Graduates coming out of a school with a poor reputation and having low grades are not likely to fare too well in the world.  Granted, the school might want to make the grading extra hard in hopes of improving their reputation, but this probably isn't the case. 

No Cheeks I have not applied to law school yet as I'm only in third year.  I've no doubt that this fact will lead you to conclude that I know little about the process.  It simply seems reasonable to me that any good law school would carefully consider the quality of each applicant's program and undergraduate school, regardless of whether they are familiar with that school.   

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 11:02:19 PM »
Since this thread's all about making blanket statements such as UofT and McGill are #1 and 2 in Canada, I'm gonnna make a blanket statement of my own.  Nobody here knows what they're talking about.  Honestly, how the hell do any one of us know what the Adcoms are thinking.  Like its been said, prestige and reputation are so subjective I don't understand how anyone can say for sure that Adcoms don't recogonize any schools in Canada other than UofT or McGill.  I also think that its a little naive to think that Adcoms don't know about the Ivey program at Western or the CompSci program at Waterloo for example.  Just looking at the admiteed class at harvard, there were 3 from UofT, 2 from McGill, Waterloo and Western.  Granted the stat's not that meaningful, but it sure doesn't look like its dominated by UofT or McGill.

The Overman

• I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »
I agree with you b ball.  I'm glad you brought up those Harvard statistics as well.  Explain to me Cheeks, how Harvard Law can accept two students from Western and two from Waterloo and then suddenly forget these schools exist?

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2005, 05:08:08 AM »
I agree with you b ball.  I'm glad you brought up those Harvard statistics as well.  Explain to me Cheeks, how Harvard Law can accept two students from Western and two from Waterloo and then suddenly forget these schools exist?

you haven't listened to a word i've said.  and i have no idea why i'm arguing about this.  whatever, good luck if you want to go to law school.

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2005, 07:38:13 PM »
Why would someone pick Q over a school like UBC or Mac or UVic.  I doubt its because Q is a much better school. 

Are you drunk?

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2005, 08:01:23 PM »
Why would someone pick Q over a school like UBC or Mac or UVic.  I doubt its because Q is a much better school. 

Are you drunk?

am i suppose to reply to this?  if you would like to make a comment, please try and at least sound intelligent. 

hth.

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2005, 08:39:52 PM »
LSD Canada is now officially one step away from lawbuzz :) :(

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2005, 09:38:07 PM »
lawbuzz is undisputed champ of the TTT law discussion boards.  Nothing can even compare...