Law School Discussion

Queen's reputation

Queen's reputation
« on: February 27, 2005, 01:46:06 PM »
Quick question...when applying to American law schools, is Queen's seen as a reputable school in the same light as UofT and McGill or is going to Queen's like going to Concordia or York aka not an advantage.

Cheeks

• View Profile
Re: Queen's reputation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 02:11:02 PM »
no, its not.  Unfortunately, no US schools will have heard of Queens.

For example, Yale interviewed at 2 schools - Mcgill and Toronto.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »
Wow not at all? So in that regard, UofT and McGill are the best choices?

I would go to UofT but I have heard that the grading is killer and gpa is important for law school

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:31:27 PM »
the grading is killer, and the courses are probably a bit harder - but this is also the reason they're known in the US right?

I wouldn't put too much wait on it.  I go to UofT, so I can't speak on behalf of someone applying to the US from another school.  I do know a guy at chicago though who went to UofA.  hth

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
Ok so cheeks, Id appreciate some advice because im real confused

Im an american in Canada and I have the option of going to several undergrads in the states like George Washington, Lehigh, Boston U, Miami etc.

Id prefer to stay in Canada over those schools (of course im still receiving acceptance offers from others)...is that going to ultimately hurt me (because of grading differences etc) or am I going to be on par because UofT/McGill have a solid reputations. Is it possible that going to McGill/UofT will present an advantage over the afformentioned American schools? Thanks

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 05:26:08 PM »
honestly, i have no idea.

I would think that UofT/Mcgill might have an advantage over the schools you mentioned, but its pretty hard to measure these things.  One thing you can do, is go to say Harvard's website, or Columbia, whatever ... and check to see where their students come from.  UofT and Mcgill will most likely be listed - but I'm not so sure about queens or Lehigh. 

Tino

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 12:46:29 AM »
I dont disagree that schools like UFT and McGill are better known in the States, but you shouldnt let that override your decision.  In the end if you have the grades and the LSAT you have a chance of getting into most schools.  I know of a few students from good old YORK U that managed to get accepted into Harvard this year... so it definately can be done...

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
for sure it can be done from any school in Canada, like Tino said.  I was just going through the UChicago Viewbook and noticed that they had a student from the University of Winnipeg studying there. 

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 02:37:34 PM »
Ok well I heard somewhere that law schools somehow look at your undergraduate university's mean (or median) lsat and mean (or median) gpa as a way of indicating the caliber of school you attended...can anyone confirm this?

And isnt this a way of finding out where your school stands in the crowd?

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »
yes they do ...

High LSAT average -> you go to a good school
High GPA -> grades are inflated (a bad thing)

However, this really doesn't mean anything for Canadian schools. 

Canadian GPA's are SUPER low.  Way lower than most US schools.  So are grades aren't inflated for sure, but they're difficult to compare.  And...Canadian school's LSAT averages are incredibly Low.  UofT's is like 155 or something like that.  Probably because canadians aren't use to standardized tests.  Either way, schools won't take either of those numbers too seriously.

If I were you, I would go to a school you'll enjoy studying at, and concentrate and do your best.  Get good grades, and the rest will fall into place.  A lot is going ot change before you apply to law school.  If you start stressing about it now, you'll end up in a huge mess...just enjoy school.