Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of T vs. Harvard  (Read 4550 times)

jorel2

• View Profile
U of T vs. Harvard
« on: February 27, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
I broached this topic on another board and got some great advice, but I want to hear from Canadian students who have actually heard of U of T.  I live in Toronto so going to U of T would literally mean having absolutely no debt coming out of law school.  Going to Harvard would mean astronomical debt, but then I'd have a law degree from Harvard.  Anyone else in a similar predicament?  The thing is, I'm not sure what I want to do after law school, but I have a feeling it isn't going particularly high-paying (ie. public interest).  So U of T makes the most sense.  But then, from what I've heard, having a degree from Harvard could open a lot of doors that a degree from U of T couldnt'...
in: Harvard, Toronto
3.9/177

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U of T vs. Harvard
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
just got back from the UofT admit day and i can tell you, Harvard is far superior to UofT in pretty much every aspect.  I would pick Harvard regardless of the cost, but that's me.

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
you're kidding right?

besides, I think most us schools have a fund to help pay off your tuition for free if you decide to go into public interest

Tino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
The comparison...UFT can't compare to a top 3 US school...
IMHO this is a no-brainer choice...Take out a loan, get some financial aid and go to one of the best law schools in the world!!!
Personally, I wish I had your problem  ;)

-Tino

The Overman

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:00:15 AM »
If money is an issue I would choose UofT because it is cheaper.  While Harvard is regarded as one of the top three law schools in North America, UofT is actually in the top ten.  Anyone who disputes this fact should look at this years entering class.  With an average gpa of 3.8 and average lsat of 166, UofT is definitely one of the most competitive law schools in North America.  All of the top firms in NYC love UofT grads as well.  If money is no object, then by all means go to Harvard, although if I were going to a US school I'd take a good look at NYU or Berkeley.

jele

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 04:00:56 PM »
Hi - I am facing somewhat of the same problem.Here are some suggestions:

1) Do you plan to practice in Canada or in States? If you plan on staying in Canada, attending a Canadian University would save you the worry of acrediting your degree, taking the bar ads in a completely different legal jurisdiction, etc...

2) I wouldn't worry too much about cost. You will probably be making enough money very soon after graduation to pay off the loan.Plus, graduating from Harvard = higher salary = quicker loan pay off.

3)Harvard is "Harvard". If reputation is important, especially if you want to get into the academic field, U of T can't compete.I am a U of T student, and I love my school, but I lets face it, Harvard is Harvard. I doubt that the quality of education is any better, its just difficult to compete.

Again, I would like to say: don't worry about the cost. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, go wherever will make you happier.

(PS: Toronto is a far cooler city than Boston - and warmer too!)
3.93/October LSAT
God help us all.

comeback kid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:50:12 PM »
UofT is actually in the top ten.  Anyone who disputes this fact should look at this years entering class.  With an average gpa of 3.8 and average lsat of 166, UofT is definitely one of the most competitive law schools in North America.

I disagree with this. It is competitive but cannot be compared to a top 10 US school.

1) Regarding your criteria of what makes a school "top ten", consider this. The average LSAT for U of T (assuming the stats you posted are correct) is the same as the lowest 25% of the 10th ranked university in the US, Northwestern. This means that the average lsat at Northwestern is considerably higher than that of U of T. Though U of T does have a higher average gpa, the considerably lower LSAT median puts NU ahead, as in the US the LSAT is given more importance than GPA, meaning that if this were the only criteria to compare it to US schools, U of T would not quite make it into the top 10. Actually it would probably be around 11 or 12, as it has similar numbers to Duke.

2) LSAT and GPA entrance scores are not the only factors used in ranking the law schools. The funding these schools receive, their alumni network, acceptance rate, student/faculty ratio, etc. are also factors that weigh in. Without an extensive comparison of all these, it is impossible to say where U of T would rank compared to US schools.

The Overman

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am the lightning, I am the frenzy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 04:39:26 PM »
UofT is actually in the top ten. Anyone who disputes this fact should look at this years entering class. With an average gpa of 3.8 and average lsat of 166, UofT is definitely one of the most competitive law schools in North America.

I disagree with this. It is competitive but cannot be compared to a top 10 US school.

1) Regarding your criteria of what makes a school "top ten", consider this. The average LSAT for U of T (assuming the stats you posted are correct) is the same as the lowest 25% of the 10th ranked university in the US, Northwestern. This means that the average lsat at Northwestern is considerably higher than that of U of T. Though U of T does have a higher average gpa, the considerably lower LSAT median puts NU ahead, as in the US the LSAT is given more importance than GPA, meaning that if this were the only criteria to compare it to US schools, U of T would not quite make it into the top 10. Actually it would probably be around 11 or 12, as it has similar numbers to Duke.

2) LSAT and GPA entrance scores are not the only factors used in ranking the law schools. The funding these schools receive, their alumni network, acceptance rate, student/faculty ratio, etc. are also factors that weigh in. Without an extensive comparison of all these, it is impossible to say where U of T would rank compared to US schools.

I have to agree that perhaps I was a little too generous with my ranking of UofT.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 08:19:54 PM »
UofT is actually in the top ten. Anyone who disputes this fact should look at this years entering class. With an average gpa of 3.8 and average lsat of 166, UofT is definitely one of the most competitive law schools in North America.

I have to agree that perhaps I was a little too generous with my ranking of UofT.

i think UofT is t10, but concede that arguing over this is absolutely pointless. 

Al

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 11:54:04 PM »

Its not impossible to compare. Canadian schools in general have no where near the same alumni support, endowment and resources of any of the top 25 schools in the states. This is the major flaw with Canadian universities that many dont appreciate and only realize when they have made the HUGE mistake of going to a Canadian school and are left to fend for themselves in every respect from financial aid, career services, alumni support etc...

The reality is that the top Canadian schools are full of very bright students who would have been just as successfull at HYS were it not for money issues or desire to leave Canada. But the student body byitself does not make a law school.

UofT is actually in the top ten.  Anyone who disputes this fact should look at this years entering class.  With an average gpa of 3.8 and average lsat of 166, UofT is definitely one of the most competitive law schools in North America.