Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone's personal statement exceeded the length required and still got accepted?  (Read 832 times)

tiptoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Someone please give me hope that, that does not automatically dismiss me!

skainch

• my boys
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers = Skainch
I got into George Mason University with a PS of 598 words, the requirement was 500.  THe PS I used for all other schools was much longer and I felt I couldn't truncate it any further.  They accepted me anyways.  Also, my numbers are low for George Mason, but I did write my PS on wanting to practice IP Law, which I've heard they are big on.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
George Mason has a 500-word limit?  Really?  The essay I sent them, and most every other school, weighed in at a svelte 900.  I'd be freaking out right now if A)I had much of a desire to go there and B) I hadn't already been accepted.

So if skainch is right, there's most definitely hope.
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

tiptoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, that gives me hope of not having an automatic ding!

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
I applied to Hofstra with a 2.5 page personal statement, they only wanted 500 words. It was a super reach for me, but I made it onto the waitlist.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

jessievb

• View Profile
    • LSN
My personal statement was about 1 and a half pages, single-spaced, so I was incredibly worried when I later found out Harvard asked for 2 pages, double-spaced. But they let me in anyway!  :) I wouldn't stress out too much over it!

tiptoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Aaaaaah! I feel a hell of alot better. :)

I also really appreciate the responses, this waiting has been hell!  Now I can find something else to obsess about.

clora

I sent everyone basically the same 2 page 1.5 space essay, even when they asked for double spaced.  I got in everywhere.

Alamss

Mine was four pages double spaced and I am still waiting, I told them to hold for the Feb scores. But thats how much I needed to tell my story in the best way.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
ASU's app said that the PS should be no longer than 3 pages but I bumped mine onto a 4th page for them (and ironically, only for them-my first choice).  I was hesitant to do it but I wanted to include a paragraph about it being my first choice and what I liked about school, etc.  I still got in, thank God, because if I hadn't I think I would have blamed it on the personal statement.