Law School Discussion

one bad grade

Re: one bad grade
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 10:04:35 PM »
Well, I didn't quite get a C+,  but -- if my experience is better than nothing (I'm at an Ivy too by the way) I did have one low grade (my senior year) of B-, and a slate of straight B's during a semester abroad. I didn't draw any attention to this, and so far  I have a none-too-shabby record in terms of admissions. If I could give you three words of advice, they would be: LSAT LSAT LSAT.

I'm applying to law schools next fall and I wanted to get people's opinions on a dilemma of mine.  I have a 3.7 gpa, went to an ivy, and have a work and extracurricular history that I feel pretty good about.  The problem is that I got a C+ my senior year (my only C) in an undergrad class about the supreme court, which was taught by a law professor at that school.  (And I plan on applying to that law school as well.)  I have given thought to writing an explanation as to the cause of this in my application, but I don't know whether it might just seem like a lame excuse.  Essentially, second semester senior year, I spent much of my time (when not in class, writing my thesis, busy w/community service, etc) taking care of my suicidal bf, who was about to get kicked out of the school because of his instability.  While I still managed to get decent grades in all my other classes, I didn't have the time necessary to devote to doing well in this class, and my grade suffered.  I don't want to sound like some whiny kid w/no control over my private life or something, but I still believe that this was a true contributor to my grade in that class.   Should I just let it go, or do you think I could make a real argument out of this? 

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 02:45:21 AM »
its ONE grade, dont mention it or worry about it at all.  a C+ is not even that bad, and it matters even less because you have a solid overall gpa.  i wrote an addendum, but then again i have 2 D's and below a 3.0 overall.  just do well on the lsat and you'll be set.

Sister Funkhaus

• June LSAT HERE I COME
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 03:16:56 PM »
I wouldn't mention it AT ALL. If no one who had C's (or F's for that matter) ever got into law school, then we would have very few lawyers.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 03:23:09 PM »
Ok I got one C+ my senior year in a class in my major.  I didn't mention it and I've gotten into 3 T-14 law schools.  Don't bring it up.

wha?

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »
OK, you've all convinced me.  Thanks everyone!

Balve

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »
I had numerous C's and D's and 1 F even ... all in my first 2 years of school. I'm not too worried. But then again, I'm not trying to go to an Ivy.

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 05:54:23 PM »
Worry about the LSAT there are lots of people with 3.7+ GPA's who bomb the LSAT and have to settle for tier 3 or 4 schools.

JDMonkey

• How hard can it be?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uteman13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »
No doubt.  I was robbed in one class, given a D, due to clerical error on instructors part.  No one even mentioned it to me.

ccorsi

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 08:53:16 AM »
Is this a flame?

I mean did someone really consider explaining a C in 1 insignificant class in their undergrad?

Seriously, get a grip.  If that is what you think adcoms are looking for - you don't understand the process very well.

It would be like sending an addendum trying to explain a 145 LSAT.

If you have a 3.7 GPA they aren't going to worry about one class.  Although it is now part of your permenant record - oh no, how will you trudge on?

C2

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
look at the date of the original post