Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for white applicants is it better to mark "caucasian" or decline to report race?  (Read 1994 times)

whiteytighty

• View Profile
To answer the original question, I understand it's betterto say one's ethnicity than not to. I know a student who's now left Boalt  but who was on the adcom, and who said that they preferred to have race and income fully filled in, even if it appeared the applicant is white and financially/socially privileged. According to her, at least this way the person was coming out with who they were and weren't hiding, which is seen as more suspect in her opinion.
I thought it was interesting at the time.

It's even more interesting that Boalt is asking applicants about their race so many years after Prop. 209 passed.

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I've heard you can apply formally for an exemption to the three time limit (that's three times within 5 years or something right?).  I know of someone who got such an exemption.
"...I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I got such an exemption!

Jennaye

LSE for economics? or that political science s.hit

the person on XOXO was applying for economics.  everything else there is sh*t.  people who go to LSE not for economics are t.t.t.

For Law and Society

Jennaye

hahahahahahaha.... did they require an lsat? hahahah.  ok i got that out of my system

congrats though

funny! (not)

I think they accept everyone who applies, and then since so few people can afford the f*cking cost of living in London they end up with just the right number of ppl enrolling....

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To answer the original question, I understand it's betterto say one's ethnicity than not to. I know a student who's now left Boalt  but who was on the adcom, and who said that they preferred to have race and income fully filled in, even if it appeared the applicant is white and financially/socially privileged. According to her, at least this way the person was coming out with who they were and weren't hiding, which is seen as more suspect in her opinion.
I thought it was interesting at the time.

I simply don't believe this. If anything, it shows character NOT to report these irrelevant things on an app. They should not be on the app. in the first place, and to fill them in is to conform to a damaging status quo.

If you are white, please leave the race boxes blank. If you are a URM, you'd be a complete idiot to do so.

rwhitman

UMich doesnt accept everyone that applies... maybe Michigan residents, but I know plenty of good students who were rejected at one or both of those schools (out of state)

in-state at mich undergrad is still tough, i know lots of people who were rejected there.  There's been a lot of news coverage in the last 10 years over in-staters at mich having a lot of trouble getting into their own public school.

can't speak for UVA undergrad.  which hs did you attend, some ritzy private?

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree that they shouldn't be on the app. I also see it as irrelevant, but be that as it may, the question is on the app, and that was the answer the person I know gave me.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
One could make the case that not checking the box could be helpful. Supose, for example that I was a white person who grew up in Mexico. If I wrote my PS about my youth in Mexico, the adcom might assume I am Hispanic. 

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I never mark race (as I do not believe in the idea of race as anything other than a meaningless social classification).However, my name looks like a typical URM name (I do not think it helps me any in the admissions process).
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn