Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for white applicants is it better to mark "caucasian" or decline to report race?  (Read 1990 times)

twarga

I visited London for a bit during the summer I was studying at Oxford... so maybe I was influenced by my experience at Oxford.  London just seems huge and unmanageable, a bit like NYC which I'm not too crazy about.

I agree.  London is a zoo, and the food leaves something to be desired.  Now Germany on the other hand.... Yum!

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I visited London for a bit during the summer I was studying at Oxford... so maybe I was influenced by my experience at Oxford.  London just seems huge and unmanageable, a bit like NYC which I'm not too crazy about.

Yeah, Oxford is not London.  Once you've been there a bit, it starts to seem small.  I lived in Maida Vale, which is within walking distance of the Abbey Road recording studio.  The Abbey Road crossing is actually a fairly busy road.  I think the locals like to drive fast so that the tourists, trying to get their pictures snapped as they make the famous crossing, have to run out of the way like rabbits.

I worked in International House, which is right across from The Tower.  It was great to look out my window at work, and see the Union Jack flying over The Tower.

It was hard to live there.  After three months I really missed driving my car, and eating nachos.

TradeWonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Paperback - i agree.  Despite being a massive city on a map, London is a small city in my mind.  easy to get around once you get the basic directions down (good bus and tube system).  I have to say, I didn't think I would like London at all (went purely for education) but really fell for it after I while.  I was happy to get back in the states, but now I think i'd like to work there for a few years after law school (if i can ever make it happen).

btw Paperback - When i was at LSE I lived at the Butlers Wharf residence.. near international house (had to talk by the damn tower every day).  have you been their recently?  really nice area now!
"...I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Paperback - i agree.  Despite being a massive city on a map, London is a small city in my mind.  easy to get around once you get the basic directions down (good bus and tube system).  I have to say, I didn't think I would like London at all (went purely for education) but really fell for it after I while.  I was happy to get back in the states, but now I think i'd like to work there for a few years after law school (if i can ever make it happen).

btw Paperback - When i was at LSE I lived at the Butlers Wharf residence.. near international house (had to talk by the damn tower every day).  have you been their recently?  really nice area now!

It's been about three years, and I recall that the area was nice when I was there.  I always enjoyed walking past The Tower.  Ever been inside?  What happened inside was pretty gruesome, indeed.  I never did get a satisfactory answer as to why there is a tennis court on the Tower lawn.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I still think you should do the year at LSE. 

Did you get into LSE Jennaye?

aye!

Congratuations!  I've heard that LSE is very difficult to get into.  Some person on xoxoth said they were rejected in spite of being a former Fullbright Scholar.  What do you think was most influencial in gaining acceptance there?

mxpocc

Guess what.  It makes absolutely no difference.  These days to get URM with certain backgrounds, generally, it takes more than being a certain ethnicity anyway.  If you are a cuban american for example, you'll be needing a good story to go with it.  Otherwise, if you're just a rich Cuban whose family fled Castro a while back.. no URM for you.

And if you check nothing, they are going to say "look, it's a white person who wants to keep us guessing."  I don't know a lot of URM's who say "just in principle I will not identify myself."

I still think you should do the year at LSE.  London weather is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and it's a great place to live for a year, and you meet some amazing people at LSE from all over the world (children of Presidents, African royalty, world-famous professors, etc. etc. etc.).  It's one year during which time you can reevaluate your committment to law AND you will have an impressive MSc.  And if you want to resit your LSAT they offer it over there anyway.

I almost didn't indicate that I'm Mexican-American, for the principle that I wanted to get in on my own "merit".

Jennaye

[quote author=Dustin Hoffman, Jr.
Congratuations!  I've heard that LSE is very difficult to get into.  Some person on xoxoth said they were rejected in spite of being a former Fullbright Scholar.  What do you think was most influencial in gaining acceptance there?

Thank you! I'm not sure what the deciding factor was; their application didn't allow us to send much information.  I had great LORs and honors from my university, though, which I hear they like.

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
  I've heard that LSE is very difficult to get into.  Some person on xoxoth said they were rejected in spite of being a former Fullbright Scholar. 

Probably only Halfbright.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To answer the original question, I understand it's betterto say one's ethnicity than not to. I know a student who's now left Boalt  but who was on the adcom, and who said that they preferred to have race and income fully filled in, even if it appeared the applicant is white and financially/socially privileged. According to her, at least this way the person was coming out with who they were and weren't hiding, which is seen as more suspect in her opinion.
I thought it was interesting at the time.

inla

• View Profile
To answer the original question, I understand it's betterto say one's ethnicity than not to. I know a student who's now left Boalt but who was on the adcom, and who said that they preferred to have race and income fully filled in, even if it appeared the applicant is white and financially/socially privileged. According to her, at least this way the person was coming out with who they were and weren't hiding, which is seen as more suspect in her opinion.
I thought it was interesting at the time.

Hi londongirl returns....just curious you mentioned in an another post you took the lsat four times...isn't the max that you can take the lsat 3 times? thanks...