Law School Discussion

for white applicants is it better to mark "caucasian" or decline to report race?

Jennaye

Kinda an afterthought, but I'm wishing I had declined to report my ethnicity.  Better to leave 'em guessing, maybe?  ???

Guess what.  It makes absolutely no difference.  These days to get URM with certain backgrounds, generally, it takes more than being a certain ethnicity anyway.  If you are a cuban american for example, you'll be needing a good story to go with it.  Otherwise, if you're just a rich Cuban whose family fled Castro a while back.. no URM for you.

And if you check nothing, they are going to say "look, it's a white person who wants to keep us guessing."  I don't know a lot of URM's who say "just in principle I will not identify myself."

I still think you should do the year at LSE.  London weather is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and it's a great place to live for a year, and you meet some amazing people at LSE from all over the world (children of Presidents, African royalty, world-famous professors, etc. etc. etc.).  It's one year during which time you can reevaluate your committment to law AND you will have an impressive MSc.  And if you want to resit your LSAT they offer it over there anyway.

Jennaye

Guess what.  It makes absolutely no difference.  These days to get URM with certain backgrounds, generally, it takes more than being a certain ethnicity anyway.  If you are a cuban american for example, you'll be needing a good story to go with it.  Otherwise, if you're just a rich Cuban whose family fled Castro a while back.. no URM for you.

And if you check nothing, they are going to say "look, it's a white person who wants to keep us guessing."  I don't know a lot of URM's who say "just in principle I will not identify myself."

I still think you should do the year at LSE.  London weather is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and it's a great place to live for a year, and you meet some amazing people at LSE from all over the world (children of Presidents, African royalty, world-famous professors, etc. etc. etc.).  It's one year during which time you can reevaluate your committment to law AND you will have an impressive MSc.  And if you want to resit your LSAT they offer it over there anyway.

Yeah, that's what I figured the adcomms would assume about people who don't list their race.

My committment to studying law is very strong already.  Nothing to re-think.  And while I like England and am sure that I'd have a great academic/intellectual experience at LSE, I'm not a huge fan of London and would just as soon take a year to travel.  Thanks though for imput! :)

Jennaye

maybe you should wish you got a higher lsat instead

no maybe about it!

Jennaye

on a sidenote:  you really should come over to xoxohth.com
i think you're cute, and we would love your company over there

why thank you

I've been on xoxo

they ate me alive

I still think you should do the year at LSE. 

Did you get into LSE Jennaye?

Jennaye

RE: "My committment to studying law is very strong already.  Nothing to re-think.  And while I like England and am sure that I'd have a great academic/intellectual experience at LSE, I'm not a huge fan of London and would just as soon take a year to travel.  Thanks though for imput! :)"

Don't like London?  I'm at a loss.  I lived there for a bit, and I loved it.

My 'imput' was simply based on some of your earlier threads in which you were all over the place on where to go to school, and if to go next year?  I mean, you did bother applying to LSE - which tells me this committment to law must have waivered at some point in the last few months (granted, no GRE needed makes it easy to apply).

But follow your heart, at the end of the day you'll choose wisely.  (though i agree w/ paperback writer AND you about London.. I couldn't live there the rest of my life as it's third world on some levels... but it really is an awesome place to spend a year.. and LSE really is the shi. on so many levels (academics, facilities, access to Europe for weekends). If you haven't visited I recommend you do.  Usually some cheap $300 weekend specials to London this time of year. LSE will give you a tour, and if you go over vacation you can probably crash at a student residence (most are either nice apartments, or hotel like - pimping either way).

Okay, i'm done trying to convince you though.  You're sounding pretty into going straight to law.

Jennaye

I visited London for a bit during the summer I was studying at Oxford... so maybe I was influenced by my experience at Oxford.  London just seems huge and unmanageable, a bit like NYC which I'm not too crazy about.